New Manager Speculation

maqroll

Do people not want Henry as he has only worked as an assistant? dont most managers start out as assistants or something lower? 

He also will never have the chance to impress, unless he gets the chance, we are in a position where we can give someone a chance, promotion is going to be difficult no matter who we appoint. Might aswell take a gamble and try someone untested. It's not like they are people who have never experienced football ever, Henry and Terry probably have a combined 1000 matches in the premier league, worked under the best managers in the world. If reports are to be believed, then we are appointing a DOF, so the new manager does not need to know how signing players and such works behind the scene, as that will not be his job. And judging from comments made from Lukaku and etc., then Henry has good player management skills, which is vital for our underperforming players.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Celtic saying they want 2.5 m in compensation for Rodgers. No way are we paying that so that ones out the window if remotely true

If the club can’t even afford to pay 2.5m compensation for a top manager then what hopes of any sort of success do you seriously have? 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Celtic saying they want 2.5 m in compensation for Rodgers. No way are we paying that so that ones out the window if remotely true

Fact a figure is mentioned indicates we have sounded him out

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

If the club can’t even afford to pay 2.5m compensation for a top manager then what hopes of any sort of success do you seriously have? 

I am sure we paid more for McLeish

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

If true I guess it depends how badly we want to bring him in as manager. We might decide that £2.5m is worth it.

My understanding - in other words, I read it somewhere - this compensation would not count towards FFP

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Chicken Field said:

Do people not want Henry as he has only worked as an assistant? dont most managers start out as assistants or something lower? 

He also will never have the chance to impress, unless he gets the chance, we are in a position where we can give someone a chance, promotion is going to be difficult no matter who we appoint. Might aswell take a gamble and try someone untested. It's not like they are people who have never experienced football ever, Henry and Terry probably have a combined 1000 matches in the premier league, worked under the best managers in the world. If reports are to be believed, then we are appointing a DOF, so the new manager does not need to know how signing players and such works behind the scene, as that will not be his job. And judging from comments made from Lukaku and etc., then Henry has good player management skills, which is vital for our underperforming players.

It's so weird how football is............worst case scenario is that Villa are one of the top 25 clubs in the country (we'll obviously argue better but this is worst case scenario based on being outside the PL).  In any other industry/profession would you ever hear an inexperienced person getting one of the top 25 positions in the country.  You have people in more junior roles and even a bit of nepotism but at least generally they have had some close experience.  In football you are good at one thing so you get a chance of something with a completely different skill set, so easily.  Henry is one of the PL greatest but almost zero proof of his management experience.  On the same topic though the same failure names of managers that have worked at multiple clubs generally achieving mediocrity , yet still get offered jobs at other clubs time and time again.  Picking a manager is just pot luck

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Or the equivalent of about a Lansbury who is now not even on the bench. It's not  a lot if they think if he is this he man to get Villa promoted. 

1 hour ago, villabromsgrove said:

I don't see Purslow as a risk taker, but NSWE might not be risk averse .... who will make the final call?

There is no way NSWE are risk averse. You don't get the millions they have by being risk averse. You do that by taking advantage of change and managing/offsetting the risks.

With that said, and with them holding the purse strings, I fully expect Henry/Terry to be announced tomorrow.

Now I just hope and pray that Villa Park gives them time to sort the mess out and don't get on their backs if we're still leaking goals until January.

1 hour ago, villabromsgrove said:

Part of me is hoping for your sake that you get what you want .... To see one of our most calm and considered posters bursting with excitement would be worth the risk of the ride! If Henry and Terry are announced then the first person I shall think of is you TRO! Cheers.

I am one mortal soul amongst 40 odd thousand passionate fans.

i just want whats best for my football club.

1 hour ago, Johnnyp said:

Wolves appointed a manager who had managed Porto and Valencia.  We are talking about appointing a guy who gives out the bibs and puts out the cones before Belgium training. Night and day.

Yeah....and works at McDonalds at night.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

At least he could organise the defence. #glorydays16th.

For me his contribution as a manager was a single line which I genuinely do think is wise. He said "Nobody can stop you running."

It was in an interview and he had words to the effect of "You may not be the most skillful player on the pitch, you may not be on the winning side, but you can be the hardest working player on the pitch, you can choose that. Nobody can stop you running." I liked that and still do.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, TRO said:

Yeah....and works at McDonalds at night.

The anecdotes being handed out to downplay any positivity to the potential move are getting hilarious ain't they?

How much does a bib giver and cone putter outer get paid these days?

The travel benefits seem sweet!

Where do I apply?

• Like 1