New Manager Speculation

maqroll

1 hour ago, villaglint said:

Is it just me that would rather have a new CEO before we even think about what we do with the manager? 

Nassef is going to run the club day to day apparently. Bruce had better start some serious bottom licking if he wants to embed himself in his affections. 

12 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Nassef is going to run the club day to day apparently. Bruce had better start some serious bottom licking if he wants to embed himself in his affections. 

Where did you hear that ?

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

What logic?

If we're dealing in facts then you're advocating replacing a guy with significant experience for a guy who has never managed ANYONE.

He's spent 1 year or so as Assistant Manager for Belgium, Managers do naff all for most of the year at international level, how much do you think an Assistant does?

Chill out, I'm not advocating for anything, I'm saying I can see why someone would take the gamble.

You keep going on about Bruce's experience but it still hasn't got us promoted after 2 tries. If experience was as critical as you make it seem we'd have been in the PL in 2017. And normally I'd agree about unproven managers, but plenty of managers recently have proven me wrong and gone on to become successes.

I hope SB's experience finally kicks in this season and it works, but I'm not holding my breath either. Worst case scenario of bringing in another manager, even someone as inexperienced as Henry is that we're not promoted...which is very likely under Bruce anyway. With the squad we have and perhaps even some investment from the new owners we're in a position to make that gamble.

• Like 1

On 22/07/2018 at 11:03, Nigel said:

Exactly,  I cant think of anything that would make him appealing other than his name! 

I understand some would be happy with anybody but Bruce, but to choose a person with zero managerial expertise is beyond my understanding.

Its not as if we are an easy club to manage currently either!

Belgium ?  Not saying it's enough, but to say you cant think of ANYTHING other than his name.  seems like you are not thinking very hard.

54 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I don't know if this is serious or not but I know for sure that there are many people here who literally look at it this way.

Like if tomorrow, we announced that Kevin Keegan was Manager, people would still be happy 'because it's not SB'.

I don't get it, and I know I'm in the minority but I just don't get it.

We came up short last season, that's beyond doubt and argument, but I enjoyed last season and, for the most part I enjoyed watching us play, I enjoyed winning regularly for the first time in a long time, I enjoyed VP becoming something of a fortress, I enjoyed watching a togetherness and camaraderie that's been sorely lacking for years, I enjoyed watching Grealish mature into something like the player we all thought he would be, I enjoyed watching people like Terry and Snodgrass come and ingrain themselves into the club (despite both knowing it would be a short term relationship), I enjoyed the renewed sense of optimism throughout the club.

I don't attribute all of that solely to SB but surely it's not in doubt that he played a large part in all of that?

Again, I know I'm in the minority but I don't see why we can't get promoted this season under SB, one or two shrewd signings and the emergence of one or two of the youngsters (who last season, everyone was calling for) and we could have as strong a squad on paper as last season.

that probably sums up why you and I will never see eye to eye on it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Chill out, I'm not advocating for anything, I'm saying I can see why someone would take the gamble.

You keep going on about Bruce's experience but it still hasn't got us promoted after 2 tries. If experience was as critical as you make it seem we'd have been in the PL in 2017. And normally I'd agree about unproven managers, but plenty of managers recently have proven me wrong and gone on to become successes.

I hope SB's experience finally kicks in this season and it works, but I'm not holding my breath either. Worst case scenario of bringing in another manager, even someone as inexperienced as Henry is that we're not promoted...which is very likely under Bruce anyway. With the squad we have and perhaps even some investment from the new owners we're in a position to make that gamble.

Come on man, 1 real go at promotion, he's had one full season. If we're now expecting people to inherit a mess, 25% of the season gone and still get promoted then our expectations are on different plains altogether. 

There has been significant progression in all areas of the club (except financially, as we now know though I do no attribute blame to SB for that) since he became Manager, what's to say the progression won't continue? 

I think people made their minds up 18 months ago on Bruce, we could win the first 5 games of the season 4-0 and the same people would want him sacked because someone else could do it better. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

Belgium ?  Not saying it's enough, but to say you cant think of ANYTHING other than his name.  seems like you are not thinking very hard.

Honestly I can’t think of a single reason to appoint Henry as manager. I want Bruce gone too, however I do think it’s a bit close to the start of the season to sack the manager, personally. But if we were to bring a new guy in, I’d still be happy Bruce was gone. However there is nothing whatsoever to suggest Henry will be a good manager at any club, let alone us. Purely because there is nothing to base that on. Let somebody else take the gamble, there have been plenty of Shearer’s, Ince’s and Neville's to show that good players aren’t necessarily good managers. He might be great, he might be shit, I don’t want us to take the risk myself.

8 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

Im sure hes has a paper round too!

5 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

that probably sums up why you and I will never see eye to eye on it.

I'd say it's the tip of the iceberg to be honest. 

If you cannot enjoy a season where we won over 50% of games and scored 70+ goals then yes, we will never agree on anything. 

Christ, if you get this upset after a season like that I'd hate to imagine what kind of mental state you've been in for the 6+ years prior. 

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Come on man, 1 real go at promotion, he's had one full season. If we're now expecting people to inherit a mess, 25% of the season gone and still get promoted then our expectations are on different plains altogether. 

There has been significant progression in all areas of the club (except financially, as we now know though I do no attribute blame to SB for that) since he became Manager, what's to say the progression won't continue? 

I think people made their minds up 18 months ago on Bruce, we could win the first 5 games of the season 4-0 and the same people would want him sacked because someone else could do it better. 

He's definitely progressed us considerably from where he found us and I'm grateful for that, but I feel that his limitations will always hold us back. Unless the league is really weak this year I can't see him getting us promoted.

He's assembled a very decent squad with a great team spirit which is great, but he can't seem to get them to play cohesively. There was no consistency at all last season. He completely lacks the ability to change the course of a game with tactics...it's like the concept is completely foreign to him. What we get on the pitch is a disjointed but talented group of players, who can pull a rabbit out of the hat more times than not but are not drilled enough to be consistent, and you need consistency in this league to get promoted.

You can only have consistency when you have a defined system and style of play where everyone knows what they should do and where they should be. That part of the game just seems to be his blindside and always has been, and he's not going to suddenly figure it out now.

If there are any teams as consistent as Wolves, Cardiff or second-half of the season Fulham this season then we're not going up. He just can't foster consistency precisely due to his limitations. I really like the guy and wouldn't mind giving him another crack at it as we could do worse, but I'm also not averse to change even if it is with an inexperienced manager.

• Like 2

Just now, Keyblade said:

He's definitely progressed us considerably from where he found us and I'm grateful for that, but I feel that his limitations will always hold us back. Unless the league is really weak this year I can't see him getting us promoted.

He's assembled a very decent squad with a great team spirit which is great, but he can't seem to get them to play cohesively. There was no consistency at all last season. He completely lacks the ability to change the course of a game with tactics...it's like the concept is completely foreign to him. What we get on the pitch is a disjointed but talented group of players, who can pull a rabbit out of the hat more times than not but are not drilled enough to be consistent, and you need consistency in this league to get promoted.

You can only have consistency when you have a defined system and style of play where everyone knows what they should do and where they should be. That part of the game just seems to be his blindside and always has been, and he's not going to suddenly figure it out now.

If there are any teams as consistent as Wolves, Cardiff or second-half of the season Fulham this season then we're not going up. He just can't foster consistency precisely due to his limitations. I really like the guy and wouldn't mind giving him another crack at it as we could do worse, but I'm also not averse to change even if it is with an inexperienced manager.

Consistency, in the positive sense is defined by results. You can be consistently shit but I'd assume no one would want that for the sake of consistency. 

I find it contentious when people talk about consistency, we finished 4th in a 24 team division, we won more than 50% of matches and more than twice the amount of games we lost. 

Sure, we were not as consistent as the 3 teams that finished above us, but to say we weren't consistent at all is a stretch. 

I've yet to see any team play well and win every single game, even the best have off days and lose matches. 

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I couldn’t have put it better myself. I think he’s a great guy, but very limited in the ways you pointed out. He certainly could get us promoted, but it’d be a close call and just as easily not make it. Rather him than Henry though 100%.

• Like 1

Bruce failed in his stated aim which was promotion. He had a squad that was one of the best in the division.

He hasn't changed his sideways, backwards and hoof method as evidenced by pre season games, and he has a much weaker squad to work with this season.

I do not want to see our decent young players ruined by playing in a static negative system playing long balls to an isolated striker.

Equally I don't want to see our young players deprived of a chance to get game time by old immobile "experienced" has beens, while also playing other teams younger loan players.

We've been there, done that and it hasn't worked.

Bruce had a golden opportunity and he came up short.

Time for a change.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Consistency, in the positive sense is defined by results. You can be consistently shit but I'd assume no one would want that for the sake of consistency. 

I find it contentious when people talk about consistency, we finished 4th in a 24 team division, we won more than 50% of matches and more than twice the amount of games we lost. 

Sure, we were not as consistent as the 3 teams that finished above us, but to say we weren't consistent at all is a stretch. 

I've yet to see any team play well and win every single game, even the best have off days and lose matches. 

Our results were fairly consistent apart from a few patches. I think he means consistently playing well. I enjoyed last season too, but there was a lot of games where we struggled to hold onto the ball and were backs to the wall for the last 15 minutes.