New Manager Speculation

maqroll

3 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Henry to me is too much of a gamble. I wasn't impressed by him as a pundit, no idea how he would work as a manager. Being no 2 in Belgium is another thing than being a manager in the Championship. I also think Belgium messed up tactically in the semi final, even if Martinez called the shots, Henry gets part of the blame. To me his part in the France WC 2010 fiasco also leaves a bit of a sour taste.  

The only real positive for me with Henry is that he probably is quite well connected and could attract young gems from other countries, I guess he could also have a feel-good effect as many will probably want him as a manager because they liked him as a player.

Regardless of the new owners coming in, I still regard us being in a state of crises and think we need stability. Let's make sure we pay our bills, lift the securities on the car park etc, fill up the vacancies at the top and make sure we keep our key players first, then we can consider a new manager taking us forward. 

I agree with all the above. All sensible reasons why we maybe shouldn’t be looking to recruit an inexperienced manager. 

But arguments such as Top players never make top managers and listing the ones that have failed doesn’t make much sense in my opinion.

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

1st manager ever to win cup and get relegated in same season

Wigan have not been close to top flight since and had 2 relegations. Some legacy

McLeish did it in 2011.

Although it was the League Cup so it doesn't really count does it :D

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Good job Espanyol never thought that about Pochettino when giving him is first job. 

If you see Thierry Henry as just some random guy that’s applied then this conversation is pointless. 

He was a club legend brought in to save them from likely relegation as a last chance. 3rd manager that season. Could have easily went like Shearer at Newcastle 

Absolute no comparison

Just now, Zatman said:

He was a club legend brought in to save them from likely relegation as a last chance. 3rd manager that season. Could have easily went like Shearer at Newcastle 

Absolute no comparison

The point is they took a chance. It was still a gamble and he turned out to be one of the best young managers around. 

Gambles don’t always have to turn out badly. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I agree with all the above. All sensible reasons why we maybe shouldn’t be looking to recruit an inexperienced manager. 

But arguments such as Top players never make top managers and listing the ones that have failed doesn’t make much sense in my opinion.

Fully agree, in principle I'm for taking chances on new managers with little experience/former players. It will be interesting to see how Gerrard and Lampard will do for example.

Edited by Keener window-cleaner
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The point is they took a chance. It was still a gamble and he turned out to be one of the best young managers around. 

Gambles don’t always have to turn out badly. 

Well they had take chance as cant afford go out get big money managers especially on a 3rd for season. Plus you cant hire a manager who has managed in the league during that season in Spain

So had take a punt 

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Well they had take chance as cant afford go out get big money managers especially on a 3rd for season. Plus you cant hire a manager who has managed in the league during that season in Spain

So had take a punt 

Football visionary my friend. 

If Henry was to come in maybe the DOF would be Houllier? French connection after all from Houlliers days of the French academy when that generation were coming through and he knows the club already. Mind Wenger always did used to wear a claret tie with blue shirt so we know where secretly his loyalties lie ;)

• Like 2