New Manager Speculation

maqroll

12 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Houllier coming back is as dreadful as Henry if honest. 

He left a bad taste last time

Oh I'm not saying it would be my first choice but I'm trying to think how those making the decisions would think

One last thing on Henry. If we did recruit him as manager it would give us massive exposure both in the Country and Internationally. 

It would be massive pressure on Henry. His managerial career could do a Neville style nosedive right from the off if he messed it up. 

6 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Geeze, guys, I wasn't ACTUALLY suggesting Tim Cahill. I was just making a point.

Sorry Steve, I was well aware of that. It was my dry humour, I decided to play along.....

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

So it was nothing to do with the Premier League wages we were paying?

I think you give Bruce too much credit at times. 

John Terry clearly had other options.

Of course that plays a big part and judging by the return, we paid them too much.

I disagree, I have never lauded Steve Bruce on here, just defended the criticism which I think has been unfair at times....and in doing so mentioned some of his good points, like persona, Character and experience.

Steve Bruce is not the perfect manager, ( if there is such a thing) he has his good points and not so good points......People who criticise him and to be fair, have a point at times, fail every time to mention anything good about the bloke, that, in my opinion dilutes their argument....because it comes across as a dig.

Rarely in the history of man, is any of us bad at everything, so it would be balanced to mention a few good things when the criticism is aired, otherwise it seems one dimensional.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

John Terry clearly had other options.

Of course that plays a big part and judging by the return, we paid them too much.

I disagree, I have never lauded Steve Bruce on here, just defended the criticism which I think has been unfair at times....and in doing so mentioned some of his good points, like persona, Character and experience.

Steve Bruce is not the perfect manager, ( if there is such a thing) he has his good points and not so good points......People who criticise him and to be fair, have a point at times, fail every time to mention anything good about the bloke, that, in my opinion dilutes their argument....because it comes across as a dig.

Rarely in the history of man, is any of us bad at everything, so it would be balanced to mention a few good things when the criticism is aired, otherwise it seems one dimensional.

Tbf, his criticism comes on the football side of things, whereas the goods points of the guy are based on non football related matters.

On a football side of things at Villa he has not done much to warrant any congrats of real sorts or any praise really but I do get where you're coming from TRO. 

53 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Tbf, his criticism comes on the football side of things, whereas the goods points of the guy are based on non football related matters.

On a football side of things at Villa he has not done much to warrant any congrats of real sorts or any praise really but I do get where you're coming from TRO. 

I think he has......I didn't think our defence was ever going to stop conceding goals, when he first come.

I have to be honest with you, I have watched our team in some games and the football has been great i.e Wolves, Bristol at home......bear in mind I only go to Home games, all of them.

I have watched us carefully in the bad games and I see players, yes players doing things, I think they could do much better and have done much better in other games.....They do have a responsibility for their own game.....I also see things that could be deemed as a result of team play and its difficult to know, is it them or is it the set up that is not helping them. i.e a bad pass.... is it the passer or the receiver or both.

I accept that overall, the manager whether he is directly or indirectly responsible.....He has to carry the can.

However, I have empathy with any manager if he wants A player and he has to sign B due to restrictions on funds, I guess thats where they "get their worth" from.

I accept, that I think our manager is too cautious at times and it frustrates me too, but it is a fine balance in getting defence and attack right.....we scored 72 and conceded 42 last season, so its there or there abouts right.

I think our biggest problem in certain games is, we concede the initiative of the game, too easily, we have so called " days off" that is down to the manager to have them up for it.....The 3 infamous games we lost that possibly kept us in this division was such and the first half in the POF was such too.

ps The Henry speculation is a gamble for me......I don't think there will be any middle ground.....it will be great or rubbish.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, Jareth said:

Blimey. It could happen now couldn't it? I'm terrified and a bit excited. I know there have been comparisons to Zola but what, what if Henry brings us super sexy football and success? He probably could take this squad, trim a few, add a few and change the way we play. We have some good young technical players. 

Also, it has been said the owners want to focus on the academy - why not bring in a philosophy in a season where we're not expected to get promotion? Yes I'm fickle as fooook. 

now that would be nifty.

You mean like a birthday present....where you have no idea what it is.....Rare nowadays isn't it.?

14 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Again, someone wanting us to appoint Henry is confidence. Otherwise why on earth would you want us to do it?

Literally makes no sense bud. If you apply wanting something to 'knowing' it will be a good thing and work, that's just bonkers. Nobody knows if he will work, but some want to SEE if it does. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, holteend1982 said:

Lampard and Terry are just names too though. For what it's worth I don't think lampard will work at all at Derby, same with all these ex footballers that are just walking into management because of their playing career rather than working their way up in management. 

I can't even think of one reason as to why Henry could even be a remotely sensible option at this stage. Been a number 2 at one of the best teams at a world cup doesn't count for much imo, international football is a whole different game Southgate took us to a semi but we all know he's a dreadful manager! 

Valid points and your opinion. I just object to anyone saying that someone else's opinion on wanting any manager means they KNOW he will succeed.  I want Henry (if the link is true, which I doubt) As it's so different from anything we've had in the last (god knows how long) it's fresh, it excites me. I don't have a clue if it will work, but I'm willing for the club to take a chance. What I don't want is more of the same. Imagine Bruce minus Terry, Johnstone, Snodgrass and perhaps Chester and Jack and I can't face another season of that. 

• Like 3

I know new owners are often keen to make a statement by appointing a "sexy new manager". Henri would certainly fit that description.

However, bringing in Henri at a time when he can't be given funds to bring in his own key players doesn't make sense.

I think we need to accept that the next 12 months will limit our immediate ambition, and try to bring in Dean Smith to begin the rebuilding task this season. DS is recognised as a coach who can get the best out of younger players, and his teams are fit enough to press and play decent football. (Just my opinion of course)

12 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

Henry would be a massive gamble but he seems to have picked up some useful knowledge from the managers he has played under.

Video appears to have been filmed with a potato but you get the idea.

Really don't like him though but then i thought the same of John Terry 12 months ago

Really enjoyed that thanks. If only we had a plan eh?!

Thierry Henry manager, John Terry assistant for an all Terry front line.

Arsene Wenger DOF. 

First signing Lionel Messi. 

All small change when you’re a proper big club with rich owners. ?

Edited by DaveAV1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

Henry would be a massive gamble but he seems to have picked up some useful knowledge from the managers he has played under.

Video appears to have been filmed with a potato but you get the idea.

Really don't like him though but then i thought the same of John Terry 12 months ago

Sold!