New Manager Speculation

maqroll

21 minutes ago, Nigel said:

We have no proof that Henry can play any kind of football!

He is literally just a name!

I think it’s more to do with not wanting Bruce near one of the most opportunistic times i can remember for Villa.  The mans a Dinosaur and would have no vision more than 10 months down the line.

• Thanks 1

IMO, this isn't the time for a novice.

So do we get rid of Bruce just to get rid of him. I can't agree with that, he has to be replaced by someone better who is available. He failed last year but that doesn't mean every other manager is automatically better. 

The problem is who is available?

wenger as DoF would be amazing It's the only way we should appoint a novice like Henry. 

53 minutes ago, Nigel said:

We have no proof that Henry can play any kind of football!

He is literally just a name!

Once again people literally ignoring the fact he COACHED at Arsenal, who aren't too shabby in the football department. I think it's a case of seeing what you want to see. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

There are plenty of people who want it to happen, which suggests they’re pretty sure. 

Its an absolutely massive gamble. Might be a genius move, but I just don’t know where people are getting their confidence. Henry has done nothing. 

I know that the season may not be as effected by our finances as we first thought with this new investment, but Henry still feels like an unnecessary gamble. 

First off to want something doesn't equate to knowing how something would be, its just liking the 'idea' of it (we get it you don't, but it is the new manager thread and not the Bruce or a new manager thread) It's not an either or question. We're discussing managers linked/rumored, but it's 100% become about X manager v Bruce. 

You say it yourself, could be a huge gamble or genius, none of us know, some just like the idea. As for what he's done, He's coached at an Premier League team and at a Top 3 World Cup team with superstars in both and has had lots of favourable comments about his coaching, so that isn't 'done nothing' no he hasn't got 4 Championship promotions which now appears to be the only prerequisite for the job.

The last sentence boiled down is what it's really about. You don't want to take a risk as you're happy with Bruce and that's cool, it's your opinion. Others would quite like a new direction

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, TheEgo said:

Once again people literally ignoring the fact he COACHED at Arsenal, who aren't too shabby in the football department. I think it's a case of seeing what you want to see. 

He also coached at the World Cup with Belgium, and did a great job. But we are not talking about him coming to us as a coach.

46 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

When did Viera and Arteta become good managers?

Well Viera has got the Nice job and did very well in the US and good means different things to different people. Arteta was strongly considered for the Arsenal job, so I'd say that makes him most likely worthy of a mention for a Championship club. As I said in my last post, this is a new manager thread. No good Bruce keepers just coming in to shit on any mention of a new manager, because it's just a hypothetical discussion (this isn't aimed at you per se, just a general observation)

42 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

That’s fine. But we could try something new that doesn’t involve appointing a complete rookie 

Equally what's wrong with going with a new guy (he's not a complete rookie as I've already alluded to) but yes he's new to a managers gig. Look at Gerrard and Lampard, they all start somewhere. Why not at Villa. Purely a preference isn't it?!

12 minutes ago, TheEgo said:

But he was saying we dont know what type of football he would play so what has a coaching role somewhere got to do with that, we still wouldn't know.

Also did he ever even actually coach at Arsenal?

4 minutes ago, Nigel said:

He also coached at the World Cup with Belgium, and did a great job. But we are not talking about him coming to us as a coach.

We could be if it was a 'head coach' ? But as I've said, everyone starts their manager career somewhere. Lampard up the A38 with Derby with literally NO experience, yet Derby fans are delighted and they had Rowett. You sometimes just have to take a chance. For the longet term future of the club, I'd say keeping Bruce is a bigger chance. 

4 minutes ago, Cliffy Biro said:

But he was saying we dont know what type of football he would play so what has a coaching role somewhere got to do with that, we still wouldn't know.

Also did he ever even actually coach at Arsenal?

I was replying to the part that said "He is literally just a name!" I should have made that clearer and yes he did

11 minutes ago, TheEgo said:

First off to want something doesn't equate to knowing how something would be, its just liking the 'idea' of it (we get it you don't, but it is the new manager thread and not the Bruce or a new manager thread) It's not an either or question. We're discussing managers linked/rumored, but it's 100% become about X manager v Bruce. 

You say it yourself, could be a huge gamble or genius, none of us know, some just like the idea. As for what he's done, He's coached at an Premier League team and at a Top 3 World Cup team with superstars in both and has had lots of favourable comments about his coaching, so that isn't 'done nothing' no he hasn't got 4 Championship promotions which now appears to be the only prerequisite for the job.

The last sentence boiled down is what it's really about. You don't want to take a risk as you're happy with Bruce and that's cool, it's your opinion. Others would quite like a new direction

Well Viera has got the Nice job and did very well in the US and good means different things to different people. Arteta was strongly considered for the Arsenal job, so I'd say that makes him most likely worthy of a mention for a Championship club. As I said in my last post, this is a new manager thread. No good Bruce keepers just coming in to shit on any mention of a new manager, because it's just a hypothetical discussion (this isn't aimed at you per se, just a general observation)

You seem to be labelling me as a “Bruce keeper”. I’m not. I’d happily see him replaced with the right manager, especially if our finances are suddenly a lot better than we thought they were going to be going forward. 

I just think people are going a bit ott because this is Thierry Henry. It’s a huge gamble. 

Equally what's wrong with going with a new guy (he's not a complete rookie as I've already alluded to) but yes he's new to a managers gig. Look at Gerrard and Lampard, they all start somewhere. Why not at Villa. Purely a preference isn't it?!

There’s nothing wrong with going for a new guy. Absolutely nothing. You seem to be missing the point. 

My posts were about how people on VT were confident that Henry would work. We know nothing about him as a manager. 

We need stability...that's why I think we should keep Bruce.

But when we play for the draw at Hull in two weeks time and lose in the last minute from a corner, I'll be wondering why on earth we didn't throw the dice and get in a sparkly new manager.

Honestly, I don't know what I would do. That's why I'll back whatever decision the new owners make.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

You seem to be labelling me as a “Bruce keeper”. I’m not. I’d happily see him replaced with the right manager, especially if our finances are suddenly a lot better than we thought they were going to be going forward. 

I just think people are going a bit ott because this is Thierry Henry. It’s a huge gamble. 

I didn't intend to, I just read it as you'd rather keep Bruce than Have Henry

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Saying it's a Huge Gamble loads, doesn't make it any more of a huge gamble. Any manager now will be a huge gamble. I wonder if people  would be reacting so vehemently if it were Lampard or Terry? I think people are focusing too much on the fact we think he's a name. I'd have loved any of those 3. I'd also of been happy to give Smith a go or the guy from Luton. We desperately need change, like we did off the field, we need it on it too imo

New managers are always a risk. The bigger clubs in the PL reduce that risk as they can pick from proven managers. Since we are a Championship club that has been badly run for quite a while now, we don’t have that luxury. But that doesn’t mean to say we can’t have an excellent manager, but it means that we have to take a bigger risk by selecting what we believe to be a good manager, but who has yet to prove himself. Who that is, isn’t down to us fans, but hopefully someone behind the scenes is advising our new overlords and they know what they’re doing.