Questions for the seniors

lapal_fan

If you could send someone back to live then, I dare say they would find it awful as they’d miss a lot of what we have today.

At the time, it probably wasn’t awful because people wouldn’t have known any different.

I can only talk from the perspective of growing up in the nineties. If I wanted to go and play football with my mates, it would involve making half a dozen phone calls (on the landline, using a little contacts phone book), having to wait for one of the lads to get back from the shop before getting a definite yes, agreeing a time and which park we would play on etc....

Now it would be achieved with a WhatsApp message. But at the time, I didn’t think it was an annoying rigmarole, as I didn’t know any better.

Likewise, we didn’t really buy newspapers, If I wanted to find out some news about Villa, Ceefax and Teletext were my main sources of information. Again, I didn’t think it was awful as there wasn’t anything better.

My house backed onto Woodgate Country Park, and the other side of a field was a small new estate built in the 80s.  So my dad mowed the field, knocked up some goal posts with nets and everyday in the spring & summer until it got dark all the kids (about 12 or so, would just play football, or race go karts we built or play Aki Aki 123 (I think).  I'm quite a bit younger than my brother and the kids which did it, and once they went further than my mom could see, I had to stay back - but it was great as a kid.  from 4 or 5pm until about 8.30/9.00 it was just play time all the time. 

I still think the dark nights and the unability to play out is the main reason I'd **** month October, November, December, January, February and half of March off.  

My point is, I didn't have to call anyone or anything, everyone just had their tea and came across to the field.  Whoever wasn't there wasn't thought about.  

11 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

If you could send someone back to live then, I dare say they would find it awful as they’d miss a lot of what we have today.

At the time, it probably wasn’t awful because people wouldn’t have known any different.

I can only talk from the perspective of growing up in the nineties. If I wanted to go and play football with my mates, it would involve making half a dozen phone calls (on the landline, using a little contacts phone book), having to wait for one of the lads to get back from the shop before getting a definite yes, agreeing a time and which park we would play on etc....

Now it would be achieved with a WhatsApp message. But at the time, I didn’t think it was an annoying rigmarole, as I didn’t know any better.

Likewise, we didn’t really buy newspapers, If I wanted to find out some news about Villa, Ceefax and Teletext were my main sources of information. Again, I didn’t think it was awful as there wasn’t anything better.

Exactly. Except in my day it wasn't Ceefax and Teletext, as they didn't exist. No local radio, either, so it was totally down to the Mail and the Argus. 

I wonder how this comparison will run in another 30, 40, 50 years? How the hell did people manage with the primitive conditions of 2018? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

Exactly. Except in my day it wasn't Ceefax and Teletext, as they didn't exist. No local radio, either, so it was totally down to the Mail and the Argus. 

I wonder how this comparison will run in another 30, 40, 50 years? How the hell did people manage with the primitive conditions of 2018? 

Grandad, is it true you had to GO TO an office for work?  

What a berk!! HAHAHA YOU OLD ****. 

Alright, calm down! Jesus Jimmy.. 

• Like 1

On 2/25/2018 at 09:26, Seat68 said:

I was born in Telford in 1970. I remember the M54 being built and having to use the A5 to get everywhere....

I was an apprentice in the RAF at Cosford when they were building the M54. We used to get beastings on it - log runs and stuff. They'd make us run on the finished, or mostly finished bits (none of it was open yet to the public). Grim.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

"They used to let people operate a ton of metal on the road? With people walking about? Without a computer?"

"**** off, I'm not having that".

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, limpid said:

"They used to let people operate a ton of metal on the road? With people walking about? Without a computer?"

I think you might be right on that one. 

11 minutes ago, limpid said:

Nissan Announces Self-Driving Taxi Trial In Japan

Would you trust a robot to get you from A to B?

Huff Post

Big changes a comin', indeed.

Transport and society.

2 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

I'd say the late 80s/early 90s was the best time to grow up (but I'm probably biased).

It just seemed to have the best mix of everything.

everyone probably thinks that about the decade they grew up in.

• Like 1

I last posted in this topic a few days ago.  Since then I've been thinking what was better in the 19 70s than now. 

It's not a long list.

1. Football shirts.

With no sponsors plasterered all over they looked much better. There are a few horrendous exceptions (see Coventry' Brown Away shirt) but on the whole they were great. Nothing beats the Villa European Cup white shirt.

2. Traffic Jams.

Less cars on the road meant less jams. But motoring in general is much better now.

3. Care for the elderly.

Society seemed more caring. I was going to include care for the mentally ill but debate still rages whether care in the community beats the old fashioned "loony bin" as my gran called it.

4. Air Travel

Yes it was expensive. But it felt special. Tickets delivered in a leather travel wallet, free drinks, newspapers, free food etc. Kids were guarantee a free toy plane, captain's badge and trip to the flight deck.  I remember sitting on the pilots lap and "flying" the plane.

5. Epcot 

Walt Disney is one of my heroes. Although he was a businessman he was also a visionary. Epcot should have been a huge step forward for town planning. Not a theme park. 

6. Er......struggling now..........UK Professional Wresting.

Just before the footy scores. Big Daddy, Jimmy Breaks, Catweasel, Giant Haystacks etc.  

7. Nothing else.  The best era to grow up on is today. Better health care, better technology, safer world and more enlightened population.

Re: 'the loony bin'. It was only when I moved away from Brum that I discovered that 'Rubery' was not the generic name for all mental hospitals. All the kids in Leeds thought it was 'Menston', my wife (from Exeter) thought it was 'Digby', and so on. 

28 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Re: 'the loony bin'. It was only when I moved away from Brum that I discovered that 'Rubery' was not the generic name for all mental hospitals. All the kids in Leeds thought it was 'Menston', my wife (from Exeter) thought it was 'Digby', and so on. 

Highcroft where I grew up. 

Fancy apartments now

https://www.martinco.com/property/to-rent/137481

I often think, I'd want the social attitudes of today ( minus a bit of the reactionary I'M OFFENDED ) minus any technological advance from about 1996 - as I really liked Goldeneye, and shit International Superstar Soccer games. I do envy growing up where you didn't get easily distracted by computers and smart phones - and actually needing to develop social skills to meet people. 

Even just looking back to the 90s and going on holiday seemed much more fun then, though that is almost certainly due to the world looking very different when you're a kid and you don't have to faf about organising everything.

• Like 2

Â