Questions for the seniors

lapal_fan

9 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

So did anyone appreciate brutalist architecture at the time?  It's friggin' hideous and only recently are our major cities recovering.  I bet they looked better in the immediate aftermath of Nazi bombing than they did in the 60s/70s/80s.

My favourite fact about Oxford being so well preserved is that Hitler wanted it as his capital of the 'Western Reich' so it was never bombed.

Yes they did. The people that lived in dark infested back to back overcrowded slums did.

I still do. I follow a couple of brutalism accounts and whatnot. I've had a couple of trips to Sheffield lately and I was really looking forward to having a look around the Kelvin flats. But some miserable sod has clad them to make them look 'softer'.

Biggest building that I ever had any significant say on external appearance: boom, just relentless concrete with a bit of acid etching so that when it aged a minimal geometric pattern would be revealed.

GEAviatation.jpg

9 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I think we all thought it was exciting and 'modern' (THE key word of the 50s and 60s). And they did look quite good to start with, but I don't think anybody had considered how horrible concrete looks when it weathers to a damp dirty shade of beige. 

It didn't need to be like that though. 

I still think Alpha Tower is a lovely building built in the 60's and I think still looking modern now.  More of a stylish James Bond style of 60's architecture than most of the awful stuff put up. 

I suspect the acres and acres of concrete was just very cheap as the country needed to be rebuilt but there was no money around after the war. A cheap solution was needed and concrete was it. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Does anyone own a bread bin? My parents do and always have, consider it essential kitchen equipment. We've never owned one. 

Yes. Where else would we keep our bread? 

IMG_20180228_204213.jpg

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Xela said:

Nope. 

Thank Christ for that. I was beginning to think I was weird..................... Then again I'm in Xela's club so maybe I'm not in the clear yet. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, sidcow said:

Thank Christ for that. I was beginning to think I was weird..................... Then again I'm in Xela's club so maybe I'm not in the clear yet. 

I also don't own a toaster, but I would imagine I am in a very small minority there! 

39 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Does anyone own a bread bin? My parents do and always have, consider it essential kitchen equipment. We've never owned one. 

Do you ever buy proper bread though? You know the sort that doesn't come already sliced and wrapped in plastic?

That's what bread bins are for

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

Do you ever buy proper bread though? You know the sort that doesn't come already sliced and wrapped in plastic?

That's what bread bins are for

This is definitely one for the boring thread but yes we mainly have sliced, but bloomers are just wrapped back in what they arrived in. 

My dad makes his own bread so maybe that's why he values the bread bin so much. 

Which reminds me, and to get back on Topic. 

Young uns.  Just imagine not being able to walk into any shop in the UK and buy bread. 

It happened. However something weird happened.  The pre sliced loaf had become almost the only thing you could buy full stop by the end of the 70s. The bread strike saw people return to making their own bread at home which had totally died out. I am sure that it made people realise how much better proper bread was. Real bread came back to stay.   I am sure without that strike Paul Holywood would probably be working as a postie right now. 

No bread, no electricity, no TV or Phone innovation due to state ownership which also ultimately killed all British mass car manufacturers. Decrepit old trains. Beware what you wish for young uns, I forsee the return to some of this stuff in the future. 

15 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

So did anyone appreciate brutalist architecture at the time?  It's friggin' hideous and only recently are our major cities recovering.  I bet they looked better in the immediate aftermath of Nazi bombing than they did in the 60s/70s/80s.

My favourite fact about Oxford being so well preserved is that Hitler wanted it as his capital of the 'Western Reich' so it was never bombed.

My Junior High School was a Brutalist building. Lit by florescent lighting throughout with minimal natural light. It was also sinking into the surrounding swampland by 1/4 inch every year. The gym would regularly flood.

• Like 1

Â