Questions for the seniors

lapal_fan

On 26/02/2018 at 11:39, lapal_fan said:

My house backed onto Woodgate Country Park, and the other side of a field was a small new estate built in the 80s.  So my dad mowed the field, knocked up some goal posts with nets and everyday in the spring & summer until it got dark all the kids (about 12 or so, would just play football, or race go karts we built or play Aki Aki 123 (I think).  I'm quite a bit younger than my brother and the kids which did it, and once they went further than my mom could see, I had to stay back - but it was great as a kid.  from 4 or 5pm until about 8.30/9.00 it was just play time all the time. 

I still think the dark nights and the unability to play out is the main reason I'd **** month October, November, December, January, February and half of March off.  

My point is, I didn't have to call anyone or anything, everyone just had their tea and came across to the field.  Whoever wasn't there wasn't thought about.  

It was just the one Ackee, immortalised in song be The Beat (ignore the English bit we're mainly not Yanks)

7 hours ago, Risso said:

Without wishing to get all Peter Kaye about things:

The pop man coming round being the highlight of the week.

Binning the pop man off because you'd got a Sodastream

Going back to the pop man because your parents couldn't be arsed to replace the gas canister in the Sodastream, and the cola, which was horrible at the best of times, was even worse when essentially flat.

Oh and @sidcow I loved Big John, Little John.  Nobody I've ever spoken to about it recalls it at all.

I can sing the theme tune to Big John Little John an B J and the Bear but I can barely remember what I did last week. 

Agree entirely about soda stream, that's exactly how it went. 

Edited by sidcow

57 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I can sing the theme tune to Big John Little John an B J and the Bear but I can barely remember what I did last week.

Yes!!! BIG John Little John! I loved that when I was a kid  :D (still remember the theme tune too).

• Like 1

So did anyone appreciate brutalist architecture at the time?  It's friggin' hideous and only recently are our major cities recovering.  I bet they looked better in the immediate aftermath of Nazi bombing than they did in the 60s/70s/80s.

My favourite fact about Oxford being so well preserved is that Hitler wanted it as his capital of the 'Western Reich' so it was never bombed.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

So did anyone appreciate brutalist architecture at the time?  It's friggin' hideous and only recently are our major cities recovering.  I bet they looked better in the immediate aftermath of Nazi bombing than they did in the 60s/70s/80s.

I think we all thought it was exciting and 'modern' (THE key word of the 50s and 60s). And they did look quite good to start with, but I don't think anybody had considered how horrible concrete looks when it weathers to a damp dirty shade of beige. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

My favourite fact about Oxford being so well preserved is that Hitler wanted it as his capital of the 'Western Reich' so it was never bombed.

Quite like Brutalism myself, the Library was a great building. Once it weathered it became more organic with random patterns of concrete colours

Much rather have that than all the buildings that are predominantly made of mirrored glass on a steel frame.

• Like 3

On 2/26/2018 at 11:42, Wainy316 said:

I'd say the late 80s/early 90s was the best time to grow up (but I'm probably biased).

It just seemed to have the best mix of everything.

Thats my period as a kid and I have to say i loved it. THE 90S were great although the fashion then baggy jeans and clothes oh dear :D

A house we moved to in the late 70's still had an outside shitter and a concrete bomb shelter in the garden, The toilet situation was soon changed but the bomb shelter was fun to play around in (if rather unsafe and likely to collapse on top of you at any time)

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, LakotaDakota said:

A house we moved to in the late 70's still had an outside shitter and a concrete bomb shelter in the garden, The toilet situation was soon changed but the bomb shelter was fun to play around in (if rather unsafe and likely to collapse on top of you at any time)

Not built to withstand bombs, then?  :)

My grammar school playground still had a row of bomb shelters (aka The Smokers' Club). 

At the back of our house were fields, the farm buildings (pig farm) were all old military air raid shelters, (I'd guess from some sort of  camp or airfield), a few of them weren't used as farm buildings, we used to play in and on them all the time. Just looked on that google maps satellite view and they seem to have gone, as has the farm, looks more like a country park now

Outside toilets are great.  It means that if you're out doing some gardening or whatever, you don't have to trail back into the house.  Obviously in addition to proper toilets inside the house.

• Like 1

Â