Questions for the seniors

lapal_fan

My dad use to talk about the mods and rockers back in the day. No idea who they were but apaprently biker gangs but they died out.

He also use to say the 70s were great it was such a happy period. Everyone use to wear bright colors and although people didnt have much they were happy. Unlike now days.

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

My dad use to talk about the mods and rockers back in the day. No idea who they were but apaprently biker gangs but they died out.

He also use to say the 70s were great it was such a happy period. Everyone use to wear bright colors and although people didnt have much they were happy. Unlike now days.

Mods = shortish hair, snappy dressers, liked soul music, rode scooters

Rockers = scruffy greasers, wore leathers, liked rock'n'roll, rode motorcycles

They used to congregate for a dust-up at seaside resorts on bank holidays. As with football violence, it caused massive media outrage, but was mostly bluster. 

weird thinking back now that we didn't have a phone in the house till the late 70's.we used to go to the house opposite to make/receive calls like a lot of people in the road did.in the road I lived on there were 100+ houses and we were one of the few with a car.

• Like 2

My parents had the first telephone in our street.

A few months later, fed up with people asking to use it, or receiving calls asking us to pass a message on to the woman at number 20 or whatever, they had it taken out again.

Concorde used to fly directly over our house, we'd here the boom and stair directly upward, and there it was. So clearly different to any other plane, and for some reason we thought of it as 'ours'.

Queens silver jubilee street parties. All the kids in the middle of the street lined with everyone's dining tables, eating jelly and wotsits all day. All the adults pissed by lunchtime. 

Slam doors on trains, which meant you could jump out of the train on to the grass verge just before the station. This meant your 5p for train fare to school could be put to better use buying crisps.

• Like 4

Funnily enough @Mandy Lifeboats I have been watching 'classic' Warner bros cartoons with my lad on YouTube and I couldn't believe the amount of times Hitler and his merry men appeared and how lavishly daddy duck, bugs bunny etc smashed them to pieces! 

Absolutely no 'kid' filter. It was literally bad violence towards Germans and the leaders was fine to show kids.  No wonder so many 60+ year olds show hostility lol

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

My cousin who is 46 now when to university when he was younger and actually left 3 years later with a profit due to grants! 

Yep, I saved a load of my grant money because I lived at home during my uni years. As soon as I left I went and bought a Gibson SG and a new amp with the cash.

Thanks govt.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Queens silver jubilee street parties. All the kids in the middle of the street lined with everyone's dining tables, eating jelly and wotsits all day. 

Still got the photos from that.

A very, very colourful affair with much jelly and ice cream and me banging on a drum that my mom had made for me out of a Quality Street tin :D

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Yep, I saved a load of my grant money because I lived at home during my uni years. As soon as I left I went and bought a Gibson SG and a new amp with the cash.

Thanks govt.

It was because of you I'm still paying off my student loan!

Was able to omit some details from the forms to avoid £1500 tuition fee though.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I remember a time we had to wash our own cars and that wasn't even that long ago. 

I type this while my car is being washed. 

I still wash my own car. Once a year, whether it needs it or not.  ;)

• Haha 3

In relation to technology - obviously mobile phones are the standout thing along with the birth of the internet that's had a massive societal change in most of our lifetimes. But when I think back I remember push button phones seeming futuristic compared to the dials.

Colour TV came into my house in the late 80's. Until then my folks rented a black and white telly from radio rentals. Wouldn't have had a VCR (toploader ftw) until the early 90's. Although my mate next door (who after his folks split up would get bought all kinds of stuff - I used to think he was so lucky!) had a beta max so we would all pile round his to watch stuff and he had a colour telly in his room.

He was the first person I knew who had a computer (The old rubber keys Spectrum) Manic Miner and the like were where it was at kids. But like others have said about popping down to the house on the street with a phone to make a phone call and that sort of thing it was common to congregate round someones house to watch something on telly or play on their computers. A lad up the street got an atari cartiridge thing. That was a cool summer spent mostly at the park/down the cut or everyone on our street round his when it was raining. FA Cup finals were always round my mates house (he had colour telly......in his room ffs!) 83 - 86 were all there. For whatever reason I can still remember watching the 87 cup final and Cov winning with Keith Houchen's flying header in extra time at mine though on the little PYE black and white portable in my folks room (My folks not into footie would have banished me from the big TV). TV's had a dial you turned to tune the TV channels in like a non DAB radio there btw kids. Buttons were probably extra on the rental!

My dad did walk in the door with a ZX81 one day. That little white PYE portable with the dial got some 1k graphics pumped through it I tell you. The day the 5k ram extension pack got bought out! Oh my days! 6k?

I also remember us having a 'pong' type thing but it didn't get used much. Maybe we borrowed it from someone for a bit now I think about it.

Table top space invaders in pubs though, me and my bro thought they were the pinnacle! How cool were they!

Stackable record players seemed so cool when I was a nipper. I genuinely miss radiograms though I bet those old enough to remember them properly will think it's rose tinted specs but I was always amazed if we went round someone's house and they had a whole sideboard that was a radio and record player!

I can remember my mum standing over her toploader washing machine. And a mangle. She maintains to this day that the automatic washing machine is one of the best inventions in her lifetime.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Funnily enough @Mandy Lifeboats I have been watching 'classic' Warner bros cartoons with my lad on YouTube and I couldn't believe the amount of times Hitler and his merry men appeared and how lavishly daddy duck, bugs bunny etc smashed them to pieces! 

Absolutely no 'kid' filter. It was literally bad violence towards Germans and the leaders was fine to show kids.  No wonder so many 60+ year olds show hostility lol

Absolutely, and entirely understandable. My parents, having experienced the blitz, carried over a real dislike of Germany. For my mum, it was pretty much blanket hatred, but for my dad it was a bit more nuanced - he was very politically-minded, and reserved his hatred for Nazi-ism, rather than Joe Average German, whom he saw as equally a victim. But yeah, I had to wash my hands before dinner to get rid of the 'Germans' (germs), and we were bombarded (sic) with British and American war films, books, comics, etc. Brits v Jerries was a popular playground game. But then all this still lingers today in the tabloid press, especially when there's a football match on. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I'm not that old (I like to think) but I can remember stray dogs and being chased by them a lot. I know we are talking about technological advances but I used to live in fear of those dam dogs and this was in the 80s! 

Actually come to think of it some of them wernt even stray dogs. Owners would just let them out to roam!

Thank God that has changed. 

Edit: be interesting to know how bad the dog situation was in the earlier years if it was that bad in the 80s.

Funnily enough, my wife and I were talking about this very thing the other day. It was entirely normal to let your dog out on its own all day (unless it was a posh pedigree one, of course). I lived in fear of them - probably why I'm still quite nervous of dogs even today. 

19 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

My dad says when he came to the country at 14 and saw how cold and depressing it was he really hated it. Obviously there was a lot of work and chances to prosper so they had to look at the long term picture and just get on with it. 

Englands come along way. 

We're in danger of getting back to the dreaded racism thread, but I would imagine your dad would have had to put up with a lot more predjudice/abuse than (I would hope) you have. Some things have definitely improved. 

As you'll have gathered, I do have some nostalgia for the 60s/70s, but it certainly wasn't all good, by any means. 

In the 80's a lad in our school got a load of his scalp ripped off by an Alsatian. True story. Had a year off school for skin grafts and everything.

He was swinging one of those flourescent swimming bags we all had (with the pictures on that were like the start of grange hill somehow) round and round without a care in the world and it went for him.

Funnily enough, I've never been a big dog person.

Â