The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

10 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Not watching but Will I an just got booked for diving .. and was asking ref to look at the VAR , which he refused

sky are suggesting it was a pen 

so what’s the criteria for the ref using VAR or the point of it if he isn’t being told you got it wrong ? 

I believe the VAR (or the ref) has to feel that an obvious error has been made. it's to stop every single decision being referred to VAR.

The appealing for VAR is just the novelty of the new tech. That will go away. Or they'll make it a bookable offence like they do with the appealing for a card to be given.

Im all for VAR, very suprised it wasnt a penatly, i know he made the most of it but it was a terrible tackle.

Anyway i still think its more important to have a no talk back to refs / swearing / shouting rule in place. Rugby can do it, all the american sports can mostly do it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

The willian incident was so embarassing last night.

I don't think it was that bad to be honest.

Wasn't a problem that a pen wasn't given, wouldn't have been a problem if a pen was given either.  Willian is looking for the foul, but the defender also fails to get the ball.  I don't think it was a clear cut as many people are making out.

Booking for a dive was probably the wrong call but, other than that, I'm OK with it.

15 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I don't think it was that bad to be honest.

Wasn't a problem that a pen wasn't given, wouldn't have been a problem if a pen was given either.  Willian is looking for the foul, but the defender also fails to get the ball.  I don't think it was a clear cut as many people are making out.

Booking for a dive was probably the wrong call but, other than that, I'm OK with it.

The Pedro was a red that I have no complaints but willian was harsh and if he got sent off later on then what? The morata red was a joke as well. 

I thought he was quite biased to Norwich and I dontvlike Chelsea at all.

49 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Morata dived and then showed dissent, fully justified yellow/red card. 

If more refs took this approach we'd have less dissent, less cheating and the entire sport would be better for it. 

I dont think it was a dive i think was just awkward . then a red for protesting? my god whats this world coming too? he couldnt get the red out quick enough! 

Just now, Demitri_C said:

I dont think it was a dive i think was just awkward . then a red for protesting? my god whats this world coming too? he couldnt get the red out quick enough! 

Dem, watch it back mate, it was a dive, all ends up. He felt a bit of contact and threw himself to the ground, it's pathetic and it happens in every game (not always in the box). The sooner we can get rid of it the better for us all.

The dive earned a yellow, his aggressive and perhaps obscene reaction earned another yellow, no-one to blame but himself.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Watched the Leicester game the other night where the offside call was overruled and goal given.

So what would be the point of having linesman?

for any other situation that didn’t lead instantly to a goal.

13 minutes ago, a m ole said:

for any other situation that didn’t lead instantly to a goal.

So if a linesman keeps his flag down when a player is offside, and then the player gets taken down for a penalty, is the offside reviewed? 

Surely the ultimate aim of this is to get rid of human error?

28 minutes ago, turvontour said:

So if a linesman keeps his flag down when a player is offside, and then the player gets taken down for a penalty, is the offside reviewed? 

not 100% on that situation but I’d say no the offside isn’t reviewed. Otherwise they could go back minutes of play to review 50 50s, accidental handballs and a manager stepping onto the pitch. The ambiguity there is whether the offside directly influenced the penalty. I’m sure the authorities have thought of these situations and have protocols though.

The aim is to allow the referee to make a more informed decision if he feels he needs it. Laws in football are subjective so it is only used for when there is no doubt.

We shouldn’t expect it to work for grey areas as that’s not why it’s there. The referee will always have his interpretation of the laws and VAR will allow him to apply it with more information at hand.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, turvontour said:

Penalty decisions get reviewed, so yes if the referee awards a penalty then the VAR should be making him aware that there was an offside in the build up to it.

What they are not going to do is review every time Benteke is flagged offside, 40 yards out with his back to goal. That is the linesman's job, which won't be replaced.

Edited by fightoffyour

• 2 weeks later...

The game today between Pool and WBA was apparently a minor disaster when it came to implementing VAR.

The technique is IMO not ready yet, or if it is the haven't yet figured out how to use it in game situations.

• Like 1

Atmosphere destroyer, from an entertainment perspective it only benefits those watching on TV (even then it removes entertainment as it slows everything down), as if the atmosphere in modern football stadia wasn't bad enough already.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

Â