The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

• 3 weeks later...

It would help if the lines were parallel to the ones on the 18 yard box, and not wavy in anyway. 

That graphic shows how cooked the system could be.  

Are the lines representative of actual wires under the pitch?  Or are they just superimposed onto the pitch via overlay projection?

Either way, it absolutely sucks and isn't helping endear itself to fans for fast and clear decision making.

10 hours ago, VillaChris said:

It was offside. Just.

That's the frustrating thing. The right decisions have been reached but it just takes so long and too much hanging around.

Looks like that one last night took about 15 seconds. 

:D

Its been confirmed that the wiggly line view is not what the VAR official saw.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-5404181/VAR-causes-controversy-Juan-Matas-goal.html

4954083B00000578-0-image-a-12_1518900804

It was also the right decision. I’ve seen people saying it shouldn’t have been used because it wasn’t a ‘clear and obvious error’ but it’s based on the 4 categories, penalties, goals, red cards and mistaken identity. This resulted in a goal and therefore the system was used correctly as no matter how close it was, by the letter of the law it is offside.

It might not be how people want it implemented but if anyone is going to comment they really need to educate themselves on its use and the laws it abides by.

Edited by a m ole

TESTING TIMES 

VAR set for emergency testing in aftermath of WONKY lines when judging Manchester United star Juan Mata’s goal to be offside

Technology drew laughter, and no less criticism, when Man United had a goal chalked off against Huddersfield

PANICKING ref chiefs are planning emergency testing of new VAR equipment after a series of cock-ups.
SunSport can reveal new software is to be trialled in Saturday’s game between Brighton and Swansea.

Juan Mata's goal was ruled out for offside - but the wonky lines from VAR were roundly laughed at

The video assistant ref will NOT be used to make any calls in the Prem match — but officials will carry out a ‘live’ test run and report back to chiefs.

And concerns over VAR technology are so great that Fifa bigwigs also plan to monitor the test ahead of using the controversial system at this summer’s World Cup finals.

Different communication equipment is being trialled following a backlash over crazy breaks in play for VAR decisions.

Video refereeing has been dogged by controversy since its launch.

There were calls for increased technology in football - but now people might wish they hadn't have bothered

Fans may get excited when a decision gets reviewed - but it clearly has some problems to work through

Manchester United’s Juan Mata had a goal ruled out against Huddersfield last weekend — with TV viewers baffled by footage of a WONKY offside line.

Although VAR picture provider Hawk-Eye claimed that was not the image used to make the call.

Chelsea boss Antonio Conte also raged at the system when Willian was denied a penalty against Norwich — and got booked for diving instead.

And Liverpool were KO’d by West Brom in the FA Cup amid VAR chaos.

Ref Craig Pawson ruled out a Baggies goal on video advice, then gave Liverpool a penalty after a FOUR-MINUTE wait.

He took another age to confirm Albion’s third goal — with fans at the game totally in the dark over what was going on.

There could be more VAR testing in live games before the season ends.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/5629466/var-emergency-testing-football/

Spurs goal against Rochdale disallowed after consulting VAR. I’ve looked at it a few times and I think they’ve got it wrong. 

Edit - looked at it from the “proper” angle and I can see the supposed infringement clearer now. Still a harsh decision.

Edited by Shropshire Lad

4 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Spurs goal against Rochdale disallowed after consulting VAR. I’ve looked at it a few times and I think they’ve got it wrong. 

A player can’t halt their run-up to a penalty and there were 3 Spurs players in the box when he did eventually take it. I thought it was the right decision (though I have no idea if it should be re-taken for either of those infringements).

edit: that’s if you mean the penalty. I didn’t see the first one.

Edited by fightoffyour

3 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

A player can’t halt their run-up to a penalty and there were 3 Spurs players in the box when he did eventually take it. I thought it was the right decision (though I have no idea if it should be re-taken for either of those infringements).

edit: that’s if you mean the penalty. I didn’t see the first one.

Nah mate, i’m talking about the goal from open play. A free kick was given to Rochdale. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Edit - looked at it from the “proper” angle and I can see the supposed infringement clearer now. Still a harsh decision.

I think it’s harsh in that it wouldn’t be given without VAR. Doesn’t stop it being a foul though even if it may have gone unnoticed.

Again I think VAR has worked ok it’s just the length of time to get a decision which is frustrating. 

• Like 1

I’m broadly in favour of VAR, as I thought it would remove the time spent discussing whether the right decision was made and more emphasis could take place on the game itself.

I hope it’s just a teething problem because at the moment it really feels like it’s having the opposite effect.

I am glad that they’re stamping out that stop/start run up for penalties. Although I had no idea they were before tonight.

I am not sure you can blame VAR if the person watching the replay then makes the wrong decision after watching it.

However, It is annoying that they have to use it for every major decision, can they not just wheel it out if there is a contentious decision to make.

Also, I think they should take it away from the on field ref making the decision to speed things up a bit.

Â