Jump to content
Stevo985

The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Recommended Posts

Goal line technology I’m 100% comfortable with as it’s instant. I just feel a bit uncomfortable with the inevitable breaks in play with this. I’m a believer that 1) you make your own luck and 2) it pretty much evens itself out in most cases. There is already a process in place for retrospective punishment against cheats or major incidents that are missed.

If I had a vote I’d go against it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Genie said:

Goal line technology I’m 100% comfortable with as it’s instant. I just feel a bit uncomfortable with the inevitable breaks in play with this. I’m a believer that 1) you make your own luck and 2) it pretty much evens itself out in most cases. There is already a process in place for retrospective punishment against cheats or major incidents that are missed.

If I had a vote I’d go against it.

But why are breaks in play seen as a negative? If it gives us the right decision?

Its only going to be very occasionally that it’s going to require a proper monitor review by the referee. And even then it’ll probably be about a minute. It’s no more a break in play than a head injury causes. 

Most of the time it’s going to be the VAR constantly looking at things and notifying the ref if anything needs to be looked at. 

In the cup Game the other night you would have barely noticed it was being used if it wasn’t for the fact it was being pointed out. 

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

 

In the cup Game the other night you would have barely noticed it was being used if it wasn’t for the fact it was being pointed out. 

Yet it wasnt even looked at for the Brighton winner which looked like it might have hit the hand of Murray

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Yet it wasnt even looked at for the Brighton winner which looked like it might have hit the hand of Murray

Yes it was.

The VAR looked at it on his screens and told the ref that he didn’t see a reason to disallow it. Everyone seems to be in agreement that that was right, even Hodgson. 

The referee only looks at the footage if he specifically wants to or the VAR recommends that he should. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yes it was.

The VAR looked at it on his screens and told the ref that he didn’t see a reason to disallow it. Everyone seems to be in agreement that that was right, even Hodgson. 

The referee only looks at the footage if he specifically wants to or the VAR recommends that he should. 

It was reported after the game that they didn’t look at the “finish” at all, they only looked for offside, they acknowledged it was an error they should learn from. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I like it when the wrong decision is made, it makes things far more entertaining. 

tv channels will have pointless postgame interviews from managers if all decisions are right :P 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm another who hates it, there's no guarantee it will give you right decisions, it was an absolute shambles in the confederation cup 

we need better refs

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I'm another who hates it, there's no guarantee it will give you right decisions, it was an absolute shambles in the confederation cup 

we need better refs

You’re complaining about bad refs and complaining about a system specifically designed to help make them better in the same post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

“No guarantee it will give you the right decision” is a nonsensical argument. Nobody claims it will but that’s no reason not to have the system. 

Theres no gurantee a crash helmet will save your life. **** it then, why bother?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

You’re complaining about bad refs and complaining about a system specifically designed to help make them better in the same post.

I don't think it will help them, I think there's a danger it will make them lazier and then more than that there's a danger that they'll still get the decision wrong

always use the Suarez dive vs us a few years back as the example, are you saying that 10/10 times that's getting the same decision with VAR? It won't, so what's the point? The inconsistency and the poor decisions will still be there

the FA aren't even trying to improve the on the pitch performance of refs they're just saying they need help, that's bullshit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched AC Milan v Udinese in  September and VAR was in action. 2 goals were disallowed when they might have otherwise incorrectly stood and changed the whole course of the game. It's quick and makes total sense. I'm just shocked it's taken this long to do this - I mean rugby and tennis have had decision help using technology for years.

I for one wish it was in play for the League Cup final in 2010 ;-) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, villanwesty88 said:

I for one wish it was in play for the League Cup final in 2010 ;-) 

That is exactly why imo it won't work...what difference would it have made in 2010? Dowd knew it was a foul, he saw it perfectly, he gave a pen, he knew vidic was the last man, he knew it was a red, he chose not to give it because he was inept, why would a ref in a booth with a tv not be inept? 

What guarantee is there that VAR would give the right decision? 

There's isn't any...so what is the point?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

That is exactly why imo it won't work...what difference would it have made in 2010? Dowd knew it was a foul, he saw it perfectly, he gave a pen, he knew vidic was the last man, he knew it was a red, he chose not to give it because he was inept, why would a ref in a booth with a tv not be inept? 

What guarantee is there that VAR would give the right decision? 

There's isn't any...so what is the point?

It doesn't guarantee it, but it gives a much higher chance of being correct. The officials have a chance to catch their breath, talk over the radio, watch it back and then make their decision. I'd much rather that than a split second decision, or perhaps the referee even missing something completely. So if it increases the chances of decisions being correct, why wouldn't you want it? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Because it won't! 

Dowd saw it, knew what it was but didn't give it because of a reason that he made up himself, what changes with VAR? Nothing

the suarez dive, what changes with VAR? Nothing, 6 refs give it 4 refs don't 

it will still be broken just in a different way

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still has a long way to go before it's decent. Been watching it being used in the Bundesliga and the A-League this season, it really affects the flow of the game plus the lack of transparency in the decision making process can really add to the tension on the field at times. Apart from goal line technology I am not sold on it yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I don't think it will help them, I think there's a danger it will make them lazier and then more than that there's a danger that they'll still get the decision wrong

always use the Suarez dive vs us a few years back as the example, are you saying that 10/10 times that's getting the same decision with VAR? It won't, so what’s the point?

No it won’t guarantee anything. 

But then how do you arrive at “what’s the point?”

what it will do Is give them a MUCH better chance at getting it right. 

54 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

“No guarantee it will give you the right decision” is a nonsensical argument. Nobody claims it will but that’s no reason not to have the system. 

Theres no gurantee a crash helmet will save your life. **** it then, why bother?

Why use the Suarez example?

what about the literally hundreds of incidents in recent memory that WOULD have been corrected by VAR?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or use the several examples from the confederation cup that weren't corrected by VAR

i use Suarez because he is the best at it, there is no "right" answer to what he does 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing I dont get is how can you use VAR in one semi and not the other? I understand Bristol City can't facilitate VAR but how if there was a controversial incident in the City game that wa smissed yet in other leg the VAR covers I dont see how that works. Should be both ties surely?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I don't think it will help them, I think there's a danger it will make them lazier and then more than that there's a danger that they'll still get the decision wrong

always use the Suarez dive vs us a few years back as the example, are you saying that 10/10 times that's getting the same decision with VAR? It won't, so what's the point? The inconsistency and the poor decisions will still be there

the FA aren't even trying to improve the on the pitch performance of refs they're just saying they need help, that's bullshit

That assertion strikes me as being deeply unlikely, even bearing in mind the frequent incompetence of the FA. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...
Â