The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

24 minutes ago, sne said:

The game today between Pool and WBA was apparently a minor disaster when it came to implementing VAR.

The technique is IMO not ready yet, or if it is the haven't yet figured out how to use it in game situations.

Thing is though the decisions reversed or decided were all correct. Salah was tugged so it was a penalty when a goal kick was awarded.

West Brom third from a corner was offside after being awarded.

The nonsense though is when it takes over two minutes to give a goal when you can see from the first replay he's clearly onside so I completely understand people's frustrations with that aspect of it.

VAR's big problem is the implementation of it is too slow and the standard of replays given is inadequate. Until those things are improved it will always feel an irritant in the game.

Works well in Tennis because it takes no more than 20 seconds to decide if a ball is in and out. Probably unrealistic to expect decisions to be decided that quickly but around a minute should be the long term target.

• Like 4

Technology works best in stop start games, and particularly for binary decisions. Football has many situations that can be vague, and at its heart and at its best, the game flows - the dream scenario of the controversial moment that leads to a break and a goal against the run of play etc. 

You're never going to implement systems successfully to correct the decisions people want corrected without changing the game. Whether a penalty is truly a penalty is not always going to be a cut and dry decision, and if we are to decide referees can check a decision, sometimes those decisions will take time. You can't get instant decisions. The only binary incidents in football really concern the ball crossing a line, and we have that now for the goal line.

I can't say I'm really fan. But I barely care either.

• Like 4

We've had VAR down here for the NRL for a while now. Being a bit of a stop/start game anyway, it doesn't seem to affect the flow of it too much but the big deal (for me) is the endless slow motion replays from multiple angles to determine just if something happened or not (e.g. "did his hand lose contact with the ball before scoring a try").

It's ludicrous. The game isn't played in slow motion, cameras can't capture everything and often the VAR decision is more bewildering than a referee's "gut instinct".

We are trialing the VAR for the A-League too. It's often vague as to when it should or shouldn't be referred to, it is a massive pause in an otherwise free flowing game and unsurprisingly the coverage is often inconclusive (even in frame-by-frame super slow motion :rolleyes:).

The only VAR/technology that should be used imo is if a ball crossed the line for a goal.

• Like 1

There should be a referee panel just for the VAR like they have in the NBA imo. So they should have the decision ready almost instantaneously since they are constantly reviewing the footage. They can be consulted the way the linesman is consulted with the earpiece. They'll basically be auxillary linesman of sorts.

I wasn't paying close attention to the match yesterday, but from what I saw the referee himself had to take time out to watch the video footage and then come to a decision himself. That seems very time consuming.

My concern is how consistent they are going to be when using VAR. The Salah penalty yesterday was a weird one, it was the right call, but it's the type of thing that happens 100 times a game from corners etc. Are they going to stop play and review every time someone has their shirt pulled? How is it decided when they do review it and when they don't review it?

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, sne said:

The game today between Pool and WBA was apparently a minor disaster when it came to implementing VAR.

The technique is IMO not ready yet, or if it is the haven't yet figured out how to use it in game situations.

Pardew has blamed VAR for 2 hamstring injuries to his players :crylaugh:

5 hours ago, Keyblade said:

There should be a referee panel just for the VAR like they have in the NBA imo. So they should have the decision ready almost instantaneously since they are constantly reviewing the footage. They can be consulted the way the linesman is consulted with the earpiece. They'll basically be auxillary linesman of sorts.

I wasn't paying close attention to the match yesterday, but from what I saw the referee himself had to take time out to watch the video footage and then come to a decision himself. That seems very time consuming.

The problem is the ref is always going to be the one to get it in the neck from the players as he's with them on the pitch while the analyist is a hundred miles away.

We saw that yesterday with the WBA players arguing after the penalty was given.

In that situation the ref on the pitch won't want to just rely on advice, he'll want to have a look at it himself. Needs to be a better method than having to walk off the pitch to have a look though as it just takes so long.

5 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Like tennis, there needs to be a limit/ restrictions on how many times it can be deployed.

It’s not quite the same as VAR is requested by the players in Tennis or Cricket. In football it is the ref who refers to it. He can’t have a limit can he? 

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

It’s not quite the same as VAR is requested by the players in Tennis or Cricket. In football it is the ref who refers to it. He can’t have a limit can he? 

Perhaps the respective managers should be the ones who decide if they don't like the look of something and they have limit per game. 

I dunno, actually doesn't seem like such a great idea, but then, I just don't think it should be allowed frequently (i.e. when a ref gets insecure about something), it makes things a bit of a farce in terms of current implementation. Everything slows down, the atmosphere gets sucked out of the stadium as no one knows what the **** is going on and momentum is sapped out of whatever passage of play is going on at the time. I'm not sure getting things 'right' is a good enough trade off, in fact part of the fun in football are contentious/ wrong decisions. Sport really isn't important enough for it to be totally infallible. 

• Like 2

VAR will never change the fans reaction.

All the decisions were spot on correct(after a bit of deliberation-im sure refs will get quicker)

Yet Baggies fans think the win was gained in spite of the technology,which clearly allows the ref to make a correct decision.They think it helped the ref get things wrong even though the cameras show otherwise! How can referees win?

Bottom line when decisions go against their team supporters can’t see the wood for the trees 

Edited by MarkLillis
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, a m ole said:

I’ve seen the game now. Looks like it was used 3 times to change a decision and 3 times it was the right call.

There’s no excuse for VAR not to get the right decision obviously.

I guess as it’s the ref who decides whether to refer he had a feeling that something was wrong so without the safety blanket of VAR he might have made that decision anyway (and kept the momentum of the game going).

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

Works well.  Will get quicker as it gets used more frequently.

It's a good thing.

I agree.

People saying it took too long with the Salah penalty incident.

The commentator remarked that it was over 3 minutes from the incident taking place to the penalty being taken.

Fair enough, that's too long. BUT I would say at least half of that time was the players protesting the incident. That needs to be stamped out. Much like goalline technology, players need to learn that the decision is the decision. And if they don't then officials need to punish them so it stops.

I think that could easily have been under a minute with all that nonsense stamped out.

Â