The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

On 1/10/2018 at 08:50, Zatman said:

For me it just ruined some of the games in Confederations Cup and it was just a massive fail then

Football is a fast sport and the ball can be in play for a long time so how far back can you go for a decision

Hockey is a faster sport and they successfully use video referrals in that (for important decisions like goals, penalty corners and flicks etc). Doesn't really impact the flow of the game.

Same for ice hockey. Although i remember once seeing a team have a shot that actually went in but wasn't called on the ice, play went on for about 3 minutes until there was a penalty shot called on the same team and play was stopped. Original 'no' goal went to video review and was given, clock went back 3 minutes and they restarted. From potentially a goal down to a goal up! 

2 hours ago, andym said:

Hockey is a faster sport and they successfully use video referrals in that (for important decisions like goals, penalty corners and flicks etc). Doesn't really impact the flow of the game.

Same for ice hockey. Although i remember once seeing a team have a shot that actually went in but wasn't called on the ice, play went on for about 3 minutes until there was a penalty shot called on the same team and play was stopped. Original 'no' goal went to video review and was given, clock went back 3 minutes and they restarted. From potentially a goal down to a goal up! 

That kind of situation will just make football a farce, in my opinion.

The greatest goal you've ever seen could be scored and then chalked off because 3 minutes earlier the ball went out of play by an inch or something.

Admittedly I am somewhat resistant to change, and I'm both cynical and capable of OTT reactions but this could signal the beginning of the end of football (written with a pinch of salt).

7 hours ago, andym said:

But in hockey there are probably 15-25 natural stops at least every period, often more. Add to that a power break every period and 2 possible time outs.

That's easily 60-80 times per game that play is stopped and the ref stops play and has a face off. Every stop is about the same as when there is a substitution in football.

A 60 minute game (effective time) takes 2.5-3 hours to finish most times. A couple of VAR challenges really isn't that noticeable and usually they put in a commercial break when it happens.

In the Swedish SHL it's however gone to the point where it's used too often and the game sometimes loses it's flow. IMO.

18 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

What’s annoying me is all these people calling it ‘Var’ on the radio etc. It’s V A R!! Martin Tyler pulled them up on it on Talksport today too!

Bildresultat för war it's fantastic hot shots gif

• Like 1

I can't stand the way they use DRS in the cricket. It doesn't get rid of all errors, just a handful of selected errors, and it makes it no fairer. On top of which it slows down an already slow game. The more I see it, the more I think bugger it, let the umpires/referees make the odd mistake just like the players do. It's become an issue because tv cameras scrutinise to the nth degree, and because of the pressure of the money involved in the game. Sure, it's not always fair, but neither is life. #istandwithhumanerror!

Exception - in football I would like to see goal-line technology, and in cricket review the run outs.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MrDuck said:

I can't stand the way they use DRS in the cricket. It doesn't get rid of all errors, just a handful of selected errors, and it makes it no fairer. On top of which it slows down an already slow game. The more I see it, the more I think bugger it, let the umpires/referees make the odd mistake just like the players do. It's become an issue because tv cameras scrutinise to the nth degree, and because of the pressure of the money involved in the game. Sure, it's not always fair, but neither is life. #istandwithhumanerror!

Exception - in football I would like to see goal-line technology, and in cricket review the run outs.

I think DRS works well in cricket myself. As long as captains use it sensibly then it cuts out the blaring umpire errors of which there are many.  Does it really slow the game down? I think overrates have slowed down so much these days that that is much more an issue than drs. 

As for football its a game which has ebbs and flows with one team having momentum then the other. My worry is that VAR will interrupt that flow and the game will become less attractive to watch. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

If that happened, which I'm not sure is even possible with the way they're implementing it, then the right decision will have been made.

How is that a bad thing?

What if it was an FA Cup final and the "greatest goal you've ever seen" was Man Utd equalising in the 94th minute vs Aston Villa? And the goal shouldn't have stood because the wrong decision was made in the build up?

Technology has been introduced into countless other sports and they are always, as far as I know, better for it. I don't know why Football has this weird resistance to change running through it from top to bottom. But it's way behind on this aspect. It's about time it caught up.

If VAR was in place we probably would have won the league cup when the ref bottled it and didn't send Vidic off for that blatant red in that 2-1 defeat. 

Edited by Demitri_C

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

If VAR was in place we probably would have won the league cup when the ref bottled it and didn't send Vidic off for that blatant red in that 2-1 defeat. 

And England might have never won the WC in 66.

Edit: And on the League Cup game I think the ref saw very well what happened, he just bottled it and I didn't want/dare make such a big call.

VAR would not have changed that, nor do I think it will stop ref giving big calls to bigger teams.

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Nope, dowd knew what happened and prob would do same again

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Nope, dowd knew what happened and prob would do same again

Maybe but then with the added pressure of VAR he knows he cant get away with bottling it like he did. Off subject I know but i still find it unbeleivable he never sent off visit for that

Just watching MOTD and Swansea were denied a clear penalty and red card for the Newcastle defender. As Jonathon Pearce the commentator said it hit de army!

• Haha 1

On 12/01/2018 at 13:48, Demitri_C said:

Unfortunately no, we wouldn't.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NeilS said:

Just watching MOTD and Swansea were denied a clear penalty and red card for the Newcastle defender. As Jonathon Pearce the commentator said it hit de army!

Yep absolutely right. Clear contact on the arm and a red card should have spelled the end of his game rightly.

Jonathon Pearce kind of threw the VAR aspect in there as I don't think it was on Carvahal's mind in the interview.

Who knows whether Swansea would’ve gone on to win the game, but Southampton almost certainly would’ve won. 

In a game where there is so much money involved and managers can lose their jobs incredibly quickly, blatant handballs not being given is crazy. 

People are still against technology checking this? Madness. 

6 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Yep absolutely right. Clear contact on the arm and a red card should have spelled the end of his game rightly.

Jonathon Pearce kind of threw the VAR aspect in there as I don't think it was on Carvahal's mind in the interview.

I should apologise, I was making a terrible joke/play on words. Diame was the the player who handled on the line, and it was funny to me after consuming a few glasses of red wine. It worked well in my head at the time.

I do agree that it was a red card for Diame and a penalty though.

• Haha 1

So what’s the score with it? When and when doesn’t it get used? Is it the refs call? Assistants call? Is it all games now or just some games?

Why wasn’t it used for Swansea? Southampton?

Teams should get one review per half in my opinion.

Â