The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

10 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think it cant be included in the World Cup until teething problems are sorted

though I see FIFA are looking for a specific VAR sponsor so breaks during games I can see happening

Is that the case?

If so, I have the feeling I’ll be reading something similar to that paragraph in the “The game’s gone” thread in the not too distant future.

1 hour ago, penguin said:

Goal wrongly disallowed and penalty wrongly given, contact clearly began way outside the box.

I didn’t see the game, but if a foul “carries on” into the box then it’s a penalty. 

It’s not given where it began. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I didn’t see the game, but if a foul “carries on” into the box then it’s a penalty. 

It’s not given where it began. 

Yeah it was a definite penalty and a good example of VAR preventing a wrong decision. 

I don’t really like the way the media are so anti VAR. Its making decisions more accurate. I can understand the issue with how long it’s taking and the poor communication but I’d have taken 5 mins of stoppage time for the red card in our 2010 league cup final for example. 

11 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

Yeah it was a definite penalty and a good example of VAR preventing a wrong decision. 

I don’t really like the way the media are so anti VAR. Its making decisions more accurate. I can understand the issue with how long it’s taking and the poor communication but I’d have taken 5 mins of stoppage time for the red card in our 2010 league cup final for example. 

wouldnt have mattered. Dowd knew he was last man and I dont think VAR would have changed that decision 

I'm not a fan, maybe I'm resistant to change but I just don't think it enhances the match day experience, not that I have thus far attended a game using VAR, so perhaps should reserve judgement. 

The best feeling in the world for me, and yes, often better than sex, is witnessing a goal go in, to have to doubt it and wait for video replaying is kind of a bit soul destroying.  

I get that it has the potential to right wrongs, but I'm not sure the cost is worth it personally. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I'm not a fan, maybe I'm resistant to change but I just don't think it enhances the match day experience, not that I have thus far attended a game using VAR, so perhaps should reserve judgement. 

The best feeling in the world for me, and yes, often better than sex, is witnessing a goal go in, to have to doubt it and wait for video replaying is kind of a bit soul destroying.  

I get that it has the potential to right wrongs, but I'm not sure the cost is worth it personally. 

With you all the way. I think costs outweigh benefits.

The only difference now at half time is the pundits complaining about VAR as opposed to the game.

its crap. I don’t like it. I think it should only be used for penalty decisions as that would not kill the game as it has been doing

8 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I'm not a fan, maybe I'm resistant to change but I just don't think it enhances the match day experience

I think this is argument is completely blown out of proportion. It'll make little, if any, difference to the "match day experience"

You'll still celebrate a goal, it's just that occasionally it'll be ruled out. No different than a goal being scored now and the linesman having his flag up.

You celebrate, then you're disappointed.

It works this way in other sports and it's totally fine.

20 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think this is argument is completely blown out of proportion. It'll make little, if any, difference to the "match day experience"

You'll still celebrate a goal, it's just that occasionally it'll be ruled out. No different than a goal being scored now and the linesman having his flag up.

You celebrate, then you're disappointed.

It works this way in other sports and it's totally fine.

I think it does take it out, look at yesterday. Spurs score they celebrate the ref goes to VAR fans are baffled have no idea whats going on get frustrated then when its given there is a cheer (more sarcastic) it kills the momentum. like when hourihane scored against Wednesday the raw emotion i felt at that goal was epic. if they went to VAR I feel it would not have been the same 

Just now, Demitri_C said:

I think it does take it out, look at yesterday. Spurs score they celebrate the ref goes to VAR fans are baffled have no idea whats going on get frustrated then when its given there is a cheer (more sarcastic) it kills the momentum. like when hourihane scored against Wednesday the raw emotion i felt at that goal was epic. if they went to VAR I feel it would not have been the same 

But you still feel that emotion. The goal is still celebrated.

It's just that occasionally this will be followed by a review where the goal is either confirmed or overruled.

Football has this resistance to change running through it from top to bottom. And the argument of VAR will make celebrating a goal a bit less good, is a prime example of it.

9 hours ago, tom_avfc said:

I don’t really like the way the media are so anti VAR. 

It will give them less to talk about.

Once they're allowed to stick an advert in there they'll be fine with it.

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It's just that occasionally this will be followed by a review where the goal is either confirmed or overruled.

Football has this resistance to change running through it from top to bottom. And the argument of VAR will make celebrating a goal a bit less good, is a prime example of it.

You will but its not the same raw emotion for me waiting couple minutes for them to decide if it is a goal or not. I think it has the potential to ruin the flow of the game. I think it should only be used for penalties and if a ball has or hasn't crossed the line.

It ha s alot of teething problems

Just now, Demitri_C said:

You will but its not the same raw emotion for me waiting couple minutes for them to decide if it is a goal or not.

But that doesn't happen.

It's not:

• goal is scored
  • nobody reacts. Everybody waits patiently because they know a VAR review will definitely happen
  • VAR review
  • Referee makes a decision
  • Everybody celebrates

Is it?

It's more like:

• goal is scored
  • everybody celebrates as they normally would
  • VAR review
  • goal is confirmed or ruled out
  • but more cleebration/disappointment

It will disrupt the flow slightly and it will have teething problems. But people are acting like games will now take 5 hours and football will descend into a boring sport where nobody shows any emotion. It's nonsense.

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

But that doesn't happen.

It's not:

• goal is scored
  • nobody reacts. Everybody waits patiently because they know a VAR review will definitely happen
  • VAR review
  • Referee makes a decision
  • Everybody celebrates

Is it?

It's more like:

• goal is scored
  • everybody celebrates as they normally would
  • VAR review
  • goal is confirmed or ruled out
  • but more cleebration/disappointment

It will disrupt the flow slightly and it will have teething problems. But people are acting like games will now take 5 hours and football will descend into a boring sport where nobody shows any emotion. It's nonsense.

Did you watch the Spurs game last night? This is what happened

• Spurs scored which looked like a perfectly good goal, then long pause
  • Everyone reacted in anger as no one knew what was going on
  • VAR review took 2-3 minutes
  • The celebration was more sarcastic cheers at penalty decision 

At the end of the first half there was FIVE EXTRA MINUTES!! imagine if there were injuries on top? you would be looking at 10 minutes extra potentially! 

I think you are being awfully generous there Stevo with your second paragraph there as that is how it is suppose to work but it isn't working like that in its current form. not saying its  a bad thing but in its current form, its poor 

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Did you watch the Spurs game last night? This is what happened

• Spurs scored which looked like a perfectly good goal, then long pause
  • Everyone reacted in anger as no one knew what was going on
  • VAR review took 2-3 minutes
  • The celebration was more sarcastic cheers at penalty decision 

At the end of the first half there was FIVE EXTRA MINUTES!! imagine if there were injuries on top? you would be looking at 10 minutes extra potentially! 

I think you are being awfully generous there Stevo with your second paragraph there as that is how it is suppose to work but it isn't working like that in its current form. not saying its  a bad thing but in its current form, its poor 

I didn't see it.

But did the crowd not celebrate the spurs goal which looked like a perfectly good goal BEFORE the confusion about VAR? That's my point

Five extra minutes.... who cares?

Firstly that will come down as the system is introduced because all this nonsense of players complaining about VAR and appealing for it and the confusion will disappear.
Secondly, it's five minutes. If there's a big head injury and there's 5 minutes added time nobody says "Oh my **** god, FIVE minutes extra! ARGH!!!"
Shit happens. 

There are definitely teething problems. Certain things definitely need to be ironed out. But half the "confusion" around it is caused by people not understanding it, and players thinking they can appeal for VAR, or appeal against the decision when it's been reviewed.
Just like when goalline technology came in. Players and pundits were arguing with it. Now it's not even mentioned because people know it works.

26 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

But the point is Stevo, over time and after the 8th or 9th time you've celebrated wildly only to see it chalked off does the enthusiasm begin to wane?

I think it would and will if this is the route we're going down.

I do not believe that any other sport celebrates pivotal moments like a football fan celebrates a goal, maybe I'm biased as it's my preferred sport but I don't see the same passion and outpouring of emotion that football invokes in ANY other sport.

6 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

But the point is Stevo, over time and after the 8th or 9th time you've celebrated wildly only to see it chalked off does the enthusiasm begin to wane?

I think it would and will if this is the route we're going down.

I do not believe that any other sport celebrates pivotal moments like a football fan celebrates a goal, maybe I'm biased as it's my preferred sport but I don't see the same passion and outpouring of emotion that football invokes in ANY other sport.

No I don't think it will wane.

It happens in other sports. Goals/tries/ touchdowns are celebrated wildly. Occasionally the score is reviewed and confirmed or chalked off. 

Again, do you not celebrate a goal as wildly because it might be ruled out because the lino has his flag up? It's the exact same thing.

Â