The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

9 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Or use the several examples from the confederation cup that weren't corrected by VAR

i use Suarez because he is the best at it, there is no "right" answer to what he does 

But why do you go from "it's not guaranteed to work every time" to "so what's the point?". That doesn't make any sense.

The Suarez example was a particularly tricky incident to call and you're right, VAR probably wouldn't have stopped that being a talking point. 
But there are dozens and dozens of other incidents that are called wrong that WOULD have been corrected by VAR. Very easily.

Like my analogy earlier, it's like saying "well this crash helmet won't guarantee I won't die, so what's the point in wearing it?"

It increases the chances of officials getting the decisions right. How is that a bad thing?

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

But why do you go from "it's not guaranteed to work every time" to "so what's the point?"

That doesn't make any sense.

Like my analogy earlier, it's like saying "well this crash helmet won't guarantee I won't die, so what's the point in wearing it?"

It's a bafflingly bad argument. I feel like I must be missing something. 

• Like 1

For me it just ruined some of the games in Confederations Cup and it was just a massive fail then

Football is a fast sport and the ball can be in play for a long time so how far back can you go for a decision

13 minutes ago, Zatman said:

For me it just ruined some of the games in Confederations Cup and it was just a massive fail then

Football is a fast sport and the ball can be in play for a long time so how far back can you go for a decision

The ball can be in play for a hell of a lot longer in Rugby and they get on just fine.

This is an outdated argument imo. Football is way behind and the sooner it catches up with other sports who aren't afraid to upset people, the better.

Apparently they are going to "test it" during the WC in Russia.

Perfect place to test something :rolleyes:

Can't wait for them turning it into a commercial break sponsored by Coca Cola.

I don't trust FIFA with this technology, and so far they don't have a working system for it.

Will be a disaster.

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

The ball is in play for approx 57 minutes of the 90 - chances of a period of play being particularly long is incredibly unlikely.

Football needs to adapt to this IMO.  Will undoubtedly be a bumpy ride, but it will improve the game and cut out a lot of the bullshit.

That said, the current diving punishments seem to be laughable.  I might be incorrect, but Oumar Niasse is the only player to have been banned for diving... despite there being a glut of almost identical situations having occurred in recent weeks?!

Yeah its proven again its shit. Game tonight was bad but was 5 minutes stoppage time mainly due to that incident. In an action packed game we could get up to 15 minutes from looking back at decisions

8 hours ago, bobzy said:

That said, the current diving punishments seem to be laughable.  I might be incorrect, but Oumar Niasse is the only player to have been banned for diving... despite there being a glut of almost identical situations having occurred in recent weeks?!

Bayer 04 Leverkusen manager Heiko Herrlich got fined £12.000 for hive dive against Borussia Mönchengladbach in the cup :D

Bildresultat för Heiko Herrlich dive gif

• Haha 3

It's infuriating me the amount of people saying "it's not broke so don't fix it" or similar.

The same people who will be moaning at the next game that a big decision has been called incorrectly

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Yeah its proven again its shit. Game tonight was bad but was 5 minutes stoppage time mainly due to that incident. In an action packed game we could get up to 15 minutes from looking back at decisions

100% agree ruins the flow of the game, hope its never introduced in the Premier League 

Â