The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

but Dem is right

we used to have a system where the pitch ref was poor and was making mistakes

we now have a system where the pitch ref is poor and making mistakes which is then being referred to a video ref who is equally poor and making mistakes 

what progress or betterment has actually been made?

Exactly  if it was generally  90% of the time getting the calls right then i would say VAR works but its not. Its getting more wrong than right. Causes delays, robs fans of celebrating. Also it seems to not always being able to be used for certain decisions that make no sense.

Its like luiz red vs fulham they had VAR and still sent him off. Then overturned it after the game.

The system sucks

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, meregreen said:

Goals being chalked of because a players big toe is offside. Bollocks to that. 

If you think introducing a bit of flexibility when implementing the rules will benefit teams like villa then history shows us you would be wrong. 

Why can't people grasp that it's the poeple watching the video that are wrong not the system. The EUROs was a perfect example of how it should work if the people watching it are competent, the ones we seem to have are just wrong to often when there is no excuse for them to be wrong. Each week an explanation of the decisions would help.

Doug's sending off is still a mystery, what the fucX happened and why? 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Arsenal's goal at Manchester United among 6 VAR errors in Premier League - sources

Premier League referees made six incorrect VAR interventions in the first part of the season before the break for the World Cup which, according to ESPN sources, includes Arsenal's goal at Manchester United.

An independent panel, made up of three former players and one representative for both the Premier League and PGMOL, assesses all key match incidents across a weekend and reports back to clubs on a Thursday indicating where mistakes have been made...

The six incorrect VAR overturns

Crystal Palace 3-1 Aston Villa
Penalty conceded (scored on the rebound by Wilfried Zaha) for handball by Lucas Digne, 55th minute

Chelsea 2-1 West Ham
Maxwel Cornet goal disallowed for a foul in the build-up by Jarrod Bowen on Edouard Mendy, 90th minute

Newcastle 0-0 Crystal Palace
Tyrick Mitchell own goal ruled out for a foul in the build-up by Joe Willock on Vicente Guaita, 51st minute

Man United 3-1 Arsenal
Gabriel Martinelli goal disallowed for a foul in the buildup by Martin Odegaard on Christian Eriksen, 12th minute

Fulham 3-0 Aston Villa
Douglas Luiz sent off for violent conduct against Aleksandar Mitrovic, 61st minute

Nottingham Forest 1-3 Brentford
Penalty awarded (scored by Bryan Mbeumo) for a foul by Dean Henderson on Yoane Wissa, 44th minute

https://www.espn.com.au/football/manchester-united-engman_utd/story/4836068/arsenals-goal-at-manchester-united-among-6-var-errors-in-premier-league

Of course we are the only club that has been affected negatively twice and of course the article fails to point out this fact.

Edited by Hornso
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Hornso said:

https://www.espn.com.au/football/manchester-united-engman_utd/story/4836068/arsenals-goal-at-manchester-united-among-6-var-errors-in-premier-league

Of course we are the only club that has been affected negatively twice and of course the article fails to point out this fact.

Not that it necessarily should point it out, but also at crucial points in the game (I think we were the worse side in both, mind).  1-1 against Palace for the pen and 1-0 down against Fulham with the red.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Not that it necessarily should point it out, but also at crucial points in the game (I think we were the worse side in both, mind).  1-1 against Palace for the pen and 1-0 down against Fulham with the red.

It was more I was reading the article and of course it was going into the headline incident then it started talking about the others, and I was like we didn’t get a mention, we mustn’t have been involved…no wait, there we are twice haha

1 hour ago, Hornso said:

It was more I was reading the article and of course it was going into the headline incident then it started talking about the others, and I was like we didn’t get a mention, we mustn’t have been involved…no wait, there we are twice haha

There is now an article from the Express and Star on News Now which highlights the injustice towards us.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Hornso said:

I don't take anything about that Fulham game as a negative.  It help cleanse the club.

Considering the playoffs in 2018 it seems if Fulham beat us, it's usually a good thing.

• Like 1

Am I unreasonable to think that a VAR decision should never be incorrect? Or very, very, very rarely. 

Particularly in the scenario of Dougie's red which was rescinded. That should just NOT happen if video and new angles are being used to help the decision.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, May-Z said:

Am I unreasonable to think that a VAR decision should never be incorrect? Or very, very, very rarely. 

Particularly in the scenario of Dougie's red which was rescinded. That should just NOT happen if video and new angles are being used to help the decision.

I think the issue is VAR has overstepped the bounds of "clear and obvious" and have moved to a "look for anything that could be called into question"

They make decisions by questionable operators on camera angles which are either slowed down ridiculously or only show 1 (favourable) view of the event.

Clear and obvious was always PGMOL spiel to smooth over the introduction whilst also giving themselves a grey area to excuse inconsistency, it means nothing

And that's not the only rule that gives them flexibility

And I'm with may-z if it can't stop shit decisions then what is the point of it? I think we're as bad as we've ever been - or as the Premier league would say its as exciting as its ever been - which is why I'm surprised they've seemingly done something about it

The refs are part of the product which is the biggest problem

14 hours ago, May-Z said:

Im still mystified at what happened with Doug, there was clearly no contact yet he went, unbelievable decision and we still haven't heard an explanation as to why it happened. 

2 minutes ago, tinker said:

Im still mystified at what happened with Doug, there was clearly no contact yet he went, unbelievable decision and we still haven't heard an explanation as to why it happened. 

I thought there was contact

But there was contact because mitrovic did it!

• Like 1

I think the only case for VAR is to take away the most glaring errors, you know the ones where every man and his blind dog sees it, but somehow the three men in black have missed it. It should be a failsafe, a backup. VAR in its current form, is the headline act. It’s far too intrusive, plays far too big a role. How do we change that? 

For me, I’m not sure it’s a good idea to have someone looking at every situation, reviewing every goal, looking for something, actively searching for a reason to rule it out, actively looking for a reason to give a penalty, a reason to give a red. No VAR decision should ever take more than a few seconds to come to. A VAR review should never happen with fans in the stands, players on the pitch, viewers at home and commentators alike all scratching their heads as to why. 

I keep coming back to the idea of a challenge based system, and/or a 30 second limit for reviews. It just cannot be kept in its current form - it’ll ruin the game. It’s being introduced in Norway in 2023, and I dread to think how it’ll affect my fan experience in the stands. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, tinker said:

The ref made such a quick decision too. It was seconds before he triggered Doug with an instant red. Very poor. 

Â