The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

3 hours ago, May-Z said:

The ref made such a quick decision too. It was seconds before he triggered Doug with an instant red. Very poor. 

I can understand the ref calling it wrong , crowds and all the in-game pressure but for someone to look at it on TV and draw the conclusion that Doug should have had a red and then the ref to go over and check it again and still decide to send him off, ridiculous decision, incompetence at a level that only the Tories seemed capable of . 

On 22/12/2022 at 18:29, May-Z said:

Am I unreasonable to think that a VAR decision should never be incorrect? Or very, very, very rarely. 

Particularly in the scenario of Dougie's red which was rescinded. That should just NOT happen if video and new angles are being used to help the decision.

I think they can be incorrect. But it should be rare. The rules in football mean we’re always going to have grey areas and differing opinions. 

What we shouldn’t have are the absolutely massive, glaring whoppers that officials are making with VAR in place. That’s just unacceptable 

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think there's corruption involved to be honest, and it does look like the corner taker may be offside.  Obviously, the TV camera doesn't capture him when the ball is played but it's certainly possible from what I saw.

The Salah goal is ridiculous, though.  I know it's "correct" for him to be onside, but that's a **** joke.  They've royally **** up the handball and offside rules.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bobzy said:

The Salah goal is ridiculous, though.  I know it's "correct" for him to be onside, but that's a **** joke.  They've royally **** up the handball and offside rules.

This is the “deliberate action” that screwed Villa over before. it’s not a deliberate action to mishead the ball and play the striker in.

I’m just seeing Danny Murphy arguing that it should be offside here, as was the case with Villa. I wonder what his viewpoint then was though.

18 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I don't think there's corruption involved to be honest, and it does look like the corner taker may be offside.  Obviously, the TV camera doesn't capture him when the ball is played but it's certainly possible from what I saw.

I’ve seen video. The corner taker (Nunes?) was nowhere near offside. 

6 minutes ago, El Zen said:

I’ve seen video. The corner taker (Nunes?) was nowhere near offside. 

I think it's very close with whoever is at the back post for Liverpool.  Will try and get the still that MOTD used (unless you can get one from the video you've seen?)

Edit:  Here it is.  For me, that's very close.  I'm not certain he's onside looking at that - let alone "nowhere near offside".

wolvesoffside.JPG

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I think it's very close with whoever is at the back post for Liverpool.  Will try and get the still that MOTD used (unless you can get one from the video you've seen?)

Edit:  Here it is.  For me, that's very close.  I'm not certain he's onside looking at that - let alone "nowhere near offside".

wolvesoffside.JPG

Liverpool defender at the back post seems to be playing him on. He is unbalanced too so his right foot is closer to the goal

Edited by Zatman

There’s footage from the opposite side and a far better angle that shows the Wolves player a good half a yard onside. Of course ‘nowhere near’ is an exaggeration, but he clearly wasn’t offside. 

21 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Liverpool defender at the back post seems to be playing him on. He is unbalanced too so his right foot is closer to the goal

Yeah, he “seems to be” - my point is that it’s a close call. If it was cricket it probably goes to “Umpire’s Call” (obviously haven’t seen the angle @El Zen is referring to).

I’m not having that as corruption or the worst decision ever. It’s seemingly just a tight offside call.

The Salah one is far worse, but that’s because of a shit rule. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, colhint said:

Just a thought, the defender headed the ball to Neves, the defender headed the ball to Salah. One goal stood and one was ruled out. What was the difference.

It wasn’t a defender (well, it was - but a Wolves one). Collins heads it first then Hwang flicks it on to Neves. 

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

wolvesoffside.JPG

VAR has totally killed the game for me. There's too many rules you can manipulate, there is almost certainly a bias towards certain 'bigger' teams and it causes more confusion than there was when you were just relying on referees. It also shows up how ridiculous some of the rules in football are i.e. handball, offside in which even the people officiating the matches don't seem to have a clue how they work. You have different referee pundits on TV that should be the experts, and even they are contradicting each other. 

The biggest thing for me though, and it always has been from day one, the 'moment' has been taken away from the game. The thing that always set apart football to all other sports, when a goal is scored. I don't celebrate goals anymore, I didn't celebrate Ings' goal against Wolves because I was waiting for the dreaded VAR check. 

I get why it was brought in, if you could guarantee consistency, non bias officiating, then it might work. But the rules and the game itself is far too complex for it to work. I'd happily see the back of it and never mention it ever again. 

Â