The death penalty

Guest av1

My first thoughts on it are; there are some horrendous people who do not deserve to be allowed out on the streets, and people should not have to live in fear with the fact that they are out there. If the crime is serious enough - why pay for them to be ‘locked up’ when they have zero chance of being released... that’s obviously very narrow minded of me, but I can think of examples right now where the crimes committed are just so sickening, that... yea. You get the picture... 

I can totally understand reasons why people are against it as well. There is something quite medieval about sentencing people to death. Capital punishment is always an interesting debate...

Edited by Tayls

Against.

It doesn't work as a deterrent, may actually make crimes worse in some cases, leaves the potential for miscarriage of justice to be completely unable to be resolved (particularly important when you realise how crap forensics and general police work can be), makes the state into a hypocrite...

And that's without reducing it to a cost argument, which doesn't work either and as said many times once you're reducing a life to a pure cost basis your entering a very different and dark path for humanity.

• Like 2

I can see both sides of the coin, It's a tough one. i used to be in favour of it, but it's a very tricky situation. There are some very evil people out there, that have no intention to get rehabilitated, but what are the reasons for why they are like that? One thing I will say, is that some prisons need to be made tougher, but that's another debate. 

I'm against it, for murder especially as I think there are crimes that I consider much worse like human trafficking and paedophile rings that require far more calculated evil, but even then I'd be uncomfortable with executing them.  I suspect most murders are done by the mentally unhinged or in a moment of passion so can't see the death penalty being a deterrent in those circumstances.  Could be wrong but that's the impression I get.  That's not to say that I wouldn't be much tougher on career criminals in terms of prison sentences, and that bastard gettjng released after 10 years last week for sexually assaulting and raping so many women in his taxi was ridiculous.

Against.

It's no deterrent.

Innocent people have been executed in the past. They would be in the future.

A criminal could realise that he faces the death penalty if caught. That would lead to more "no-one is going to take me alive"  situations and Police/Innocent People will get hurt. 

Its better 999 guilty people live than 1 innocent person dies. 

9 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

IIRC, from polls/surveys I’ve seen, the British public is largely behind it. I’d hope it never goes to a referendum!

I really hope that it's a case of the public being behind it because they know it's not an actual option.

I feel that for many calling for someones head literally or figuratively is their way of venting and they don't actually want that, though of course I could be completely wrong there.

The main issue with the death penalty for me is that it doesn't change anything. The death penalty is only a deterrent for the same people that regular laws already deter, so I don't see its place in modern society.

The most historic serial killings in US history happened when the death penalty was legal in almost all US States, the death penalty is not a deterrent if you're just that **** up. 

it's not the case. The public are largely against it. It is closer than you would like. Mind you France by and large are more in favour. 

I'm definitely against it. It's not a deterrent.

I did have a mate who was against, but put up an interesting case for the birch for lesser crimes. His Idea being that it hurts rich people the same as poor people.

27 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I used to be massively against it. For the most part still am. Then I think what if someone harmed my daughter. 

That's why we have a dispassionate legal system. Justice is not the same thing as an-eye-for-an-eye revenge. 

20 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I used to be massively against it. For the most part still am. Then I think what if someone harmed my daughter. 

Make no mistake, if anyone hurt my son I’d want them to suffer for it and I’d probably want to kill them. 

But justice shouldn’t be based on what I, emotionally, want. It’s a slippery slope. Soon, you’d see football referees given 50 lashes for that last minute penalty we didn’t get and blose fans sentenced to hard labour for no particular reason. 

It’s perfectly possible to emotionally want someone to die and be rationally against the death penalty. 

• Like 4

Some things are unexcusable imo and again yes it is a tough one in some instances.

I think for things ala Ian Huntley, Thompson and Venables then it shows they are just not right in the mind and should be disposed of.

For the folk pondering how they would feel if it was their son or daughter that was the victim surely it should be a no brainer?

To tie an innocent little child to a train track for the inevitable after beating him with rocks and sticks na I am sorry, execute the undesirables!

3 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Some things are unexcusable imo and again yes it is a tough one in some instances.

I think for things ala Ian Huntley, Thompson and Venables then it shows they are just not right in the mind and should be disposed of.

For the folk pondering how they would feel if it was their son or daughter that was the victim surely it should be a no brainer?

To tie an innocent little child to a train track for the inevitable after beating him with rocks and sticks na I am sorry, execute the undesirables!

I don't feel comfortable sentencing kids to the death penalty. Also if someone is sick in the head mentally, then is it their fault? 

Edited by Rugeley Villa
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I don't feel comfortable sentencing kids to the death penalty. Also if someone is sick in the head mentally, then is that their fault? 

Lock them up for life granted and wait till they reach 18 before death row, but as @Xela pointed out he is far from a child now and protected with a new identity but even now with all this he is reoffending again with indecent images.he clearly is not right in the head, should not be allowed in society but we the tax payer have to suffer to keep the idiot in a prison.

A total waste of resources across the board imo.

Edited by AvfcRigo82

2 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Lock them up for life granted and wait till they reach 18 before death row, but as Xela pointed out he is far from a child now and protected with a new identity but even now with all this he is reoffending again with indecent images.he clearly is not right in the head, should not be allowed in society but we the tax payer have to suffer to keep the idiot in a prison.

A total waste of resources across the board imo.

I see your point, but when they committed those crimes they were children. How can you tell a child he will never be released, let alone be sentenced to death when he's older .

Edited by Rugeley Villa

5 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I see your point, but when they committed those crimes they were children. How can you tell a child he will never be released, let alone be sentenced to death when he's older .

What possesses these children to do such things though? They must be seriously tapped even at such an age to carry out such an act?.

Don't get me wrong and I don't want to solely focus on Venables and Thompson or whatever their names are now, they are one example, Ian Huntley was no child when he also carried out a double murder.

However way it is looked at they clearly are not fit for society on any level.

I think that for the criminals who are clearly mentally ill, it shouldn't be an option.

But what about people like the Vegas shooter?

By all accounts he had lived for 61 years, in a very comfortable lifestyle, then decided to shoot into a crowd of 400 people (or whatever it was), killing 10s of them.

That to me, appears more evil than someone who has been battered, sexually assaulted, molested and head **** their whole lives.  I mean, if that was your upbringing, how on earth can you start to live a "normal" life?

It's by the by because that guy died, I just think what he did was worse than what a mentally deranged person does.

On the whole, I'm against it.  Maybe in VERY exceptional cases, but it would have to really specific I think.

• Like 1

Â