The death penalty

Guest av1

2 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

I’m agaisnt it though you do read some crimes that make your blood boil and under the emotional circumstance you think they deserve to die ... but  law shouldn’t work based on emotion 

but then again when you have a milosovic , Hussein or a Gadalfi type who have killed or tortured on a mass scale  , I’m not entirely sure a life sentence in jail really fits the crime ... 

This is probably where I am. I'm against it in all circumstances that I think I can foresee in the UK. However, when I think about the Nuremberg trials, I don't think the punishment for those who hanged was unjust. 

3 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

This is probably where I am. I'm against it in all circumstances that I think I can foresee in the UK. However, when I think about the Nuremberg trials, I don't think the punishment for those who hanged was unjust. 

Interesting side note, but with those executions (and suicides) the photos were published to prove that the criminals were actually dead.

It was prohibited to publish them in the UK at the time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NurembergVillan said:

Interesting side note, but with those executions (and suicides) the photos were published to prove that the criminals were actually dead.

It was prohibited to publish them in the UK at the time.

When they executed Barzan (just before Saddam ) his head came off as they had mis-calculated his weight and the drop ... probably won’t being seeing that one on YouTube 

I am not in favour of murder. But in a same subject I feel that if someone does a serious acid attack on someone the victim should be given the option of to do it back to the attacker.

thats the worst I'd go. (Controversial I know) but the attacker should know what it's like to do that to their victim(s)

Edited by Demitri_C

You can’t have a state that condemns murder and then punishes with murder, it just doesn’t make sense. If you believe Prison should be rehabilitation rather than punishment there is also no room for a death penalty.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I am not in favour of murder. But in a same subject I feel that if someone does a serious acid attack on someone the victim should be given the option of to do it back to the attacker.

thats the worst I'd go. (Controversial I know) but the attacker should know what it's like to do that to their victim(s)

No, no, no, no, no. This is absolutely the wrong way to go. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Eye for an eye then basically Dem?.

Edited by AvfcRigo82

29 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

yep, and whilst we're at it we can cut the hands off thieves and roll cars over the families of drink drivers

• Like 1

I'd be up for watching a real life version of The Running Man as long as the production values were high quality . The deaths can't look tasteless.

It  would only be for really serious criminals like shoplifters and the guilty verdict must have been one struck with confidence.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

yep, and whilst we're at it we can cut the hands off thieves and roll cars over the families of drink drivers

Wrong or right I bet that would reduce the amount of those crimes due to the fear of the repercussions.

To be fair, cutting thieves' hands off is about the only thing I agree with the Saudis on!  Though I must say I'm speaking as victim of a house burglary where they got four years in jail and likely to be out sooner to do it all over again so not the best judge.

The death penalty increases the victim count IMO.

If you are going to get the death penalty anyway then there is nothing to lose if you stop killing now or kill another 50.  The penalty will be the same in reality.

EG.  Someone has shot and killed a security officer and a bank teller in a bank robbery and  there are 10 hostages and he is in the bank.  The 10 hostages have more chance of survival in a non death penalty arena surely?

Edited by Amsterdam_Neil_D

29 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

The death penalty increases the victim count IMO.

If you are going to get the death penalty anyway then there is nothing to lose if you stop killing now or kill another 50.  The penalty will be the same in reality.

EG.  Someone has shot and killed a security officer and a bank teller in a bank robbery and  there are 10 hostages and he is in the bank.  The 10 hostages have more chance of survival in a non death penalty arena surely?

I agree with part of what you say, it is correct that you have to be very careful with severity of punishment towards more minor crimes. Imagine a scenario where someone robs a bank or shop and assume that if they get caught then its 40 years in prison, you could say that's fair enough and should be more of a deterrent towards committing the crime but all you are really doing is making it much more appealing to execute all the witnesses to ensure a better chance of getting away with it. I feel like that is something people often don't consider when making throwaway comments about hitting people with massive jail times for non-murder crimes.

Edited by AVFCDAN

10 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

This is utterly absurd

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Does anyone know anyone that has had this donw to them? The physiological effect it has on them is life changing.

I totally agree. it's a horrible, horrible crime.

Â