The death penalty

Guest av1

11 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Well I don't think, just because morally it's now ok to be gay, then everyone would suddenly start being gay :lol: 

I ent gay, that's just WRONG :lol::P 

I suppose you also have to remember that hundreds of years ago people weren't having sex for fun (openly at least). It was an act of procreation between two married people. Sex with another person of the same sex would have been illogical and of no benefit to the human race or society, hence you were told not to do it.

Just now, AVFCDAN said:

I suppose you also have to remember that hundreds of years ago people weren't having sex for fun (openly at least). It was an act of procreation between two married people. Sex with another person of the same sex would have been illogical and of no benefit to the human race or society, hence you were told not to do it.

Yea that's kinda what I was suggesting in my post.

But was that it? Not sure. 

3 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Yea that's kinda what I was suggesting in my post.

But was that it? Not sure. 

I suppose to get that answer you need to go back to before all modern religions were created.

There must have been a reason for them all to condemn it, all I can think of is that the end result was no baby being made so it was basically pointless.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Give the option to somebody who is already emotionally and mentally scarred by her ordeal, she takes the option as she isn't thinking rationally (and nor should she be expected to)

She then commits the act, then once rational realises what she's done and she's even more mentally scarred.

It's an awful idea, sorry.

Fair enough. Thats a good point stefan

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AVFCDAN said:

I'd prefer it if they used the gavel but I agree with the sentiment.

Traditions of the courts:

Gavels

Although they’re often seen in cartoons and TV programmes and mentioned in almost everything else involving judges, the one place you won’t see a gavel is an English or Welsh courtroom – they are not used there and have never been used in the criminal courts.

Edit: Beaten to it by @NurembergVillan. :)

Edited by snowychap
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

How on earth are we dispensing justice up and down the country without a wooden mallet to bang?

Hide contents

Or insert into criminals bottoms

If you can't project authority dressed like this

circuit_judge1_small.jpg

then a gavel's not going to help. :D

Good thread and, on the whole, good views.  The death penalty is a horrific idea for so many reasons, but I think maybe my "top" ones are:

a]  The chance of lawfully killing an innocent person
b]  The possibility of state killings for "crimes" that people "committed" (disagree with the state?  Yeah... you could be killed for that).
c]  Death penalty provides an easy out for people who want revenge.  Doing time in prison, despite reports of how fantastic it is in there, is much harder and much nastier.

There's also those instances where your mind isn't sane and you make a wrong choice.  We've probably all done this to some extent and regretted the outcome - perhaps saying something untoward?  Assaulting someone?  All that kind of thing.  What if is goes a couple of steps further?

I read this article a while back which is a really good (if slightly long) read and highlights a lot of the problems with the death penalty and those decisions being in a few people's hands.  It's bad enough having "normal" punishments being handled terribly, let alone killing someone.

Trial by Fire
Did Texas execute an innocent man?

Link:  https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2009/09/07/trial-by-fire

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

That's pretty incredible.

Do you think people on juries change their verdict if they know that guilty would mean sentencing the person to death? 

I know it's not for the jury to decide the punishment but I think I'd have a hard to time being a part of that.

In America part of the jury selection process in capital cases involves checking that potential jury members won't acquit because they don't agree with the death penalty. Plenty of potential jurors get thrown out over this. 

• Like 1

An argument for the death penalty I can understand is that sentencing somebody to life in prison, with them knowing they'll never be free and will be spending the next few decades staring at the same four walls, that seems just as inhumane and medieval to me.

1 minute ago, Paddywhack said:

An argument for the death penalty I can understand is that sentencing somebody to life in prison, with them knowing they'll never be free and will be spending the next few decades staring at the same four walls, that seems just as inhumane and medieval to me.

Does anything believe child murderers or serial murders deserve human rights?

Just curious

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Does anything believe child murderers or serial murders deserve human rights?

Just curious

It's more about what kind of society I want to live in and under what kind of government rather than the individual.

There's several reasons why I think capital punishment is wrong, but one of them is that I don't think the state should have that kind of power.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

Not sure I agree. I've seen enough prison documentaries to know that you can still make a life for yourself inside.

Im sure there are books on tap if you want to carry on educating yourself. People are also known to self publicise books and art inside. There is commissary if you can afford it so all the little treats and luxuries you can still enjoy. Theres work if you want it so you can feel like part of the community in there. Regular visits with friends and loved ones, exercise yards etc..

Apart from freedom of movement there's not as many restrictions as you might think. Its certainly better than being put to death imo.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I probably count as 'anything', so yes.

Human rights aren't qualified on 'being a good person'. They're qualified on being a human. Whether that human won Nobel Prizes, works in McDonald's or buried dozens under their floorboards.

Oops anyone i meant. Demglish does it again :lol:

I thought recently that if you go to prison, it doesn't change who you are, you're still just "you" - and to be honest it scared me a bit.  That I (thinking as me, now), could do something and end up in prison.  It just becomes part of your life.  Instead of sat working at a laptop in an office, you'd just be endlessly masturbating in your own room and philosophising. 

And that's why I kicked a dog in it's tits.  

Â