The death penalty

Guest av1

26 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

but we the tax payer have to suffer to keep the idiot in a prison.

A total waste of resources across the board imo.

I’m sure I’ve read that the average death sentence is actually more expensive to the tax payer than a life sentence, so I don’t think your point is a valid one. 

2 hours ago, Seat68 said:

I used to be massively against it. For the most part still am. Then I think what if someone harmed my daughter. 

Best case scenario would be you rescuing her from her attacker, and in defending her you kill him. This same situation happened here a few years ago. A father walked in on an attempted rape of his daughter. He beat the guy to death and no charges were brought against him.

Edited by maqroll

10 hours ago, Tayls said:

My first thoughts on it are; there are some horrendous people who do not deserve to be allowed out on the streets, and people should not have to live in fear with the fact that they are out there. If the crime is serious enough - why pay for them to be ‘locked up’ when they have zero chance of being released... that’s obviously very narrow minded of me, but I can think of examples right now where the crimes committed are just so sickening, that... yea. You get the picture... 

I can totally understand reasons why people are against it as well. There is something quite medieval about sentencing people to death. Capital punishment is always an interesting debate...

In most, if not all, cases it’s more expensive to execute someone than it is to lock them up for life. 

I’m agaisnt it though you do read some crimes that make your blood boil and under the emotional circumstance you think they deserve to die ... but  law shouldn’t work based on emotion 

but then again when you have a milosovic , Hussein or a Gaddafi type who have killed or tortured on a mass scale  , I’m not entirely sure a life sentence in jail really fits the crime ... 

Edited by tonyh29

47 minutes ago, Michelsen said:

I’m sure I’ve read that the average death sentence is actually more expensive to the tax payer than a life sentence, so I don’t think your point is a valid one. 

Depends how long they are on death row. 30 years then yes more expensive - 5 years then no. 

Though if you are going to keep them on death row for 30 years then you might as well just give them life anyway!

Turn this around a bit. If you were the murderer, would you want to spend the rest of your life in prison, or be sentenced to death. I know how easy it is being locked up, but that was only for a few months, and counting the days down was great. I don't imagine it's much fun, if you know you're spending life in the nick. Part of me thinks, is just like to depart this world rather than rot away in prison, but I can't be certain for sure. I do have a certain amount of sympathy for offenders who are otherwise decent people, but made a huge mistake which put them in prison for life. For whatever reason they murdered, but regretted it straight away, and are now spending the rest of their lives locked up. It's a very depressing thought. No light at the end of the tunnel. 

I think this is straying in to a different area with discussion on whether some prisons are easy. You don't have to jump to the death penalty because some prisons have nintendo.

I've been inside a couple of prisons and the regimes and the environment vary tremendously.

The death penalty is wrong on so many levels and is not the same debate as what is the correct mix of punishment, rehabilitation and public protection offered by prison.

• Like 1

If I’m a criminal that did something that would warrant a life sentence locked up in one building, I’d want the easy way out. I don’t think it achieves anything.

I don’t care if prisoners have limited access to TV, or Nintendo, or small comforts as long as they are locked up and it keeps prisons safe and manageable for the staff that work there, although contact with the outside world should be next to none for serious crime. I can’t understand how mobile phones get into prisons.

Prison should be about rehabilitation and protecting the public, not vengeance.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

...but I think we've moved on from that as people... 

You say that, but 31 out of the 50 states of America have the death penalty, PLUS the federal government and the US military have it as a penalty as well. One of the most modern countries in the world still see it as a suitable option for punishment. That’s quite a lot of people who are able to live with it and not feel the need to protest to encourage their state to abolish it. 

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

If it was up to me no, but it seems like they are prisoners rights, so yes. 

Prison then. I imagine it’s a bugger to get new games when in Deaths Realm and the WiFi must be shocking.

8 minutes ago, Tayls said:

You say that, but 31 out of the 50 states of America have the death penalty, PLUS the federal government and the US military have it as a penalty as well. One of the most modern countries in the world still see it as a suitable option for punishment. That’s quite a lot of people who are able to live with it and not feel the need to protest to encourage their state to abolish it. 

Sorry, I meant this country. 

Â