Racism

Brumerican

2 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I'm amazed that places still play 'You'd never do a tango with an Eskimo'.  Why the **** wouldn't you tango with an Eskimo, you racist bastard!

Uh oh, you said Eskimo. 

Anyway, on the Abbottt fancy dress, I don't recall this much faux outrage when Leigh Francis in Bo Selecta dressed up as Craig David, Mel B and Michael Jackson.  I also don't recall the term "black face" being bandied around quite as readily.  It *almost* seems to have been used by people who probably hadn't even heard the term before this week.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, peterms said:

If that's meant to be sarcasm, it's too crude and wooden to be amusing.

Translating the sentiment behind it to the UK about now, what is suggested is that if you hear that certain expressions, actions or attitudes are offensive, you make some attempt to understand why, so that you can choose not to use them and avoid offence, or else use them in the knowledge that you seek to offend.  Preferably the former, but it's really your choice.

We had the same discussion, as a society, about terms like nigger, coloured, cripple and others.  We seemed to manage to deal with that.

You are "allowed" to do all sorts of things.  You are for example allowed to act like a complete arse.  You are also allowed to be called out and criticised for it.

I really struggle to understand why some people like to pretend there is some sort of Stasi exercising thought control over them, rather than simply commenting when they act like fuckwits.  Something about revelling in imagined victimhood, I suppose.

The irony of you talking about revelling in imagined victimhood after claiming the only credible explanation for the stick Dianne Abbot gets is racism. LOL.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

There was a Spike Milligan tv show from the late 60's that caused huge controversy - he played an Indian in "black-face." It's also called white-washing in movies when a white actor in make up plays the part of a person of color.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curry_and_Chips

It is on youtube if you care to look. Pretty crude humor.

Yes, I know of “curry & chips”, although I didn’t know Spike was in it or his character, I thought it was just Eric Sykes that was the big star.

I’ve seen a clip of it on one of those “it was alright in the 70’s” style shows and yes, it was pretty damn offensive along with totally devoid of any wit & humour. It makes “love thy neighbour” look progressive. 

I’m not really a fan of either Milligan or Sykes but it surprising these respected comedians were involved in it, I guess it shows how that sort of thing was more accepted back then.

Edited by Shropshire Lad

I don't think you can tell someone not to be offended. It seems wrong to me to belittle those offended, or attempts to justify the offence. If someone is offended by blackface, then don't try and reason with them, and explain why it's OK. It's obviously not OK, someone is offended by it. There are no exceptions to the rules. No whataboutism. It's just offensive to them.

Edited by dAVe80
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

the joke was about her inability to count , anyone thinking it was a malicious racist attack needs to have a word with themself  , that said it was a stupid thing for the person to have done , I dressed up as a nazi at a fancy dress party once but I was 17 ignorant and stupid , this bloke can’t use the same defence 

as for Abbott being the most abused MP on Twitter , that’s probably because she’s the most dispised MP on Twitter and that has nothing to do with her skin colour  , more that she is a racist hypocrite 

2 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

as for Abbott being the most abused MP on Twitter , that’s probably because she’s the most dispised MP on Twitter and that has nothing to do with her skin colour 

You're half right Tony. Some people abuse her because she's a woman too.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

the joke was about her inability to count ,

If it was, then it would have been a much better joke to use Philip Hammond as the subject, after quoting the cost of HS2 as 20 billion (yes, billion) less than it is.

But somehow, that didn't make it into the ranks of great political blunders to be made fun of.  And I dont see people at darts comps impersonating him, or read about him receiving more hate mail than the entire tory party added together.

Let's be honest here, if the point of the joke is MPs who are numerically challenged, there are many, many better examples.

But it's not actually about arithmetic or recall of specific facts, is it?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Why did a joke about someone's inability to count necessitate blacking up?

I’m guessing it wouldn’t have worked had he doned a dress and a blonde wig ... and who have you come us ? Diane Abbott I thought it was obvious 

11 minutes ago, peterms said:

In case you didn't grasp the point, the stick Abbott gets is utterly disproportionate to her failings and white men in equivalent or more senior positions who make greater mistakes don't get this abuse.

What alternative credible explanation would you offer?  I'm all ears.

She is a complete and utter **** moron, the fact it is disproportionate is a matter of opinion and one I do not share. 

Yes other politicians make mistakes but Abbot has a top 10 list.... it isn't just the severity its the frequency the woman is utterly incompetent. The only politician I can think of who is approaching as near as gaffe prone is Borris Johnson and he gets his fair share of stick also. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, peterms said:

In case you didn't grasp the point, the stick Abbott gets is utterly disproportionate to her failings and white men in equivalent or more senior positions who make greater mistakes don't get this abuse.

What alternative credible explanation would you offer?  I'm all ears.

She's one of the three most senior politicians in the Shadow Cabinet, and her performances during the election campaign were utterly shambolic.  It wasn't just the quantum of the errors, it was the almost unbelievably amateurish manner in which she delivered them.  But yeah, diabetes I guess.

• Like 2

Just now, peterms said:

If it was, then it would have been a much better joke to use Philip Hammond as the subject, after quoting the cost of HS2 as 20 billion (yes, billion) less than it is.

But somehow, that didn't make it into the ranks of great political blunders to be made fun of.  And I dont see people at darts comps impersonating him, or read about him receiving more hate mail than the entire tory party added together.

Let's be honest here, if the point of the joke is MPs who are numerically challenged, there are many, many better examples.

But it's not actually about arithmetic or recall of specific facts, is it?

So you’ve said , five times , no hang on three times , no no I’ve got this ... it was four times wasn’t it 

17 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Is she 35 times worse than any other MP?

Taking into account the amount of public exposure she gets compared to the vast majority and the frequency of her gaffes (has basically turned herself into a meme), Yes. Easily.

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

I’m guessing it wouldn’t have worked had he doned a dress and a blonde wig ... and who have you come us ? Diane Abbott I thought it was obvious 

He literally has a handmade sign. He could have had the same sign, but with a printed picture of Abbott, and the same numbers, and then the joke would have been about her inability to count. It wouldn't have been any funnier, but then it wasn't funny in the first place. 

By blacking up, he made the joke about her race. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, penguin said:

Taking into account the amount of public exposure she gets compared to the vast majority and the frequency of her gaffes (has basically turned herself into a meme), Yes. Easily.

EDIT: Can't be arsed. 

Edited by HanoiVillan

6 minutes ago, Risso said:

She's one of the three most senior politicians in the Shadow Cabinet, and her performances during the election campaign were utterly shambolic.  It wasn't just the quantum of the errors, it was the almost unbelievably amateurish manner in which she delivered them.  But yeah, diabetes I guess.

May, Johnson, Davis, Fallon, oh, it gets tedious to name them all.  A bunch of arses whose performance was not just shambolic, but duplicitous, deceitful, and aimed at seeking party advantage over securing the national interest.

But yeah, white peeps I guess.

• Like 1