The Game's Gone

NurembergVillan

2 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

Imagine how cool his story could have been had he taken a pay cut to return to England. Now he'll kick a ball around in some polluted Chinese megalopolis and no one will care. $ad!

49 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

He's on about £650k a week at Madrid anyway, isn't he? He's probably banked well over £100m just since he left Spurs. Will a year in China really make any difference to his lifestyle in retirement? We are now reaching the the point where it's probably just whether his great grandchildren drive Aston Martins or BMWs, right? 

I can’t see anyone in a decent league even paying a quarter of what he’d earn out there. He’s in a weird position that despite his talent no one can afford him. If I was in his shoes I’d absolutely take China for 1 yr, then come back on lower money 

It's an interesting one. Supposedly he doesn't really integrate well because he's a quiet lad and really enjoys going back and playing with Wales. 

He likes being home - so I'm very surprised he would go to China - that's a lot further away than Madrid. Maybe @mikeyp102 is correct - no-one can really afford him, so go for a year, earn a stupid amount (Madrid also get a reasonable fee I imagine to save face) and then back to the UK a year later.

I certainly wouldn't be surprised if Bale retired a little earlier than many players would. His game is centred on his pace and fitness coupled to great skill. His time at Real has been marred with dozens of niggly injuries, if his body is starting to feel the strain then if he can't (or doesn't want to) change who he plays he might be forced to retire. In that case, going to China to pump his bank account even more is an even greater no brainer.

I also get the impression that he isn't someone whose life is football, so that might also weigh in on the decision.

It's certainly shitty that a quality player is chasing a huge payday that ultimately isn't going to change his life, given his earnings already, but that's the way things are. There's not many people that will turn down more for less, unless more comes with a lot of baggage. And he may not have much choice given its obvious Real want rid but his status and wage isn't viable outside of a few hyper rich European teams, who probably don't want him. So big money Chinese working holiday it is.

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

Interesting discussion on ESPN the other day that Bale has lost his pace and he wouldn't be as effective in the European leagues

He’s definitely lost pace which is a bit surprising as he should be in his prime now, I think he’s just lost desire to be honest, going to China will not reinvigorate that. Just hope he doesn’t listen to his agent as I’m sure he’ll be waxing lyrical about the virtues of going there.

Go to China and get a £400k pay rise or move to the PL and face a £400k pay cut

Or don't play football at madrid

No one else would come near his ludicrous Madrid wages, again it's the Madrid move that is stupid and leaves him nowhere else to go but China 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Xela said:

Real seem to be in a (relative) mess. 

Bale will outlast Zidane there at this rate.

It looks like Zidane has tried to do a bit of a SAF and bomb off a very high profile player to make the other sit up and take notice. Seems to have backfired spectacularly.

Not sure ZZ will be in charge on October.

Reading that makes me so glad that our owners are (on the face of it) genuine, wealthy businessmen with no connections to corrupt government agencies. The worst thing I've read about Sawiris is to do with a failure to pay a multi-billion pound tax bill in 2014.

That's an interesting and terrifying read. I understand the natural reaction to be defensive and guarded about your clubs owners, sometimes I get like that with the Wolves owners, even though I am wary of being too positive about them it rankles me when fans of other clubs try to use it to target you. Particularly when it's Liverpool fans for example as if being owned by a US sports conglomerate, who have a lot of people who massively profited from the banking collapses involved with them, is somehow more noble than being owned by a company with ties to the Chinese state and government.

I wish football was more fan owned but we have truly crapped the bed on that. 

• Like 1

Contractual obligations and all that.

Juve fined £650k for not playing CR9 in a friendly in South Korea, they claim he had an injury.

Question is how much are these teams paid to begin with for these exhibition games?

Italian football champions Juventus breached an agreement when they benched superstar Cristiano Ronaldo in an exhibition match against South Korean league All-Stars, a local organizer of the match claimed Saturday.

Some 63,000 fans at Seoul World Cup Stadium went home disappointed Friday night, as Ronaldo did not play in a 3-3 draw between Juventus and K League All-Stars.
"After finding out that Ronaldo's name was not on the second half squad list, we requested Juventus to play Ronaldo as written in the contract," the agency said. "The club told us that both the manager and the player know about the clause, but Ronaldo can't play because of his physical condition. Juventus didn't respond to our calls later."

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20190728000119

10 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Well then they shouldn't have signed such a dumb contract then, should they. 

was going to say the same thing!

the "games gone" element for me is that juve agreed to a game where contractually Ronaldo had to play at least 45 minutes and the organisers of the game sold tickets based on the same

• Like 2

Â