Pre match buildup

Demitri_C

21 minutes ago, Andy81 said:

Villa's defence (and midfield) will have to have a really good game to stop Wolves scoring.  Just looking at the stats, only twice this season have we failed to score, and I think we've scored in every home game.

Statistically, Villa will probably need two goals if they want to win the game.

Statistics can lead you where you want Andy. Another one would be that we've conceded only once in 7 games. 

It'll be a tight game, I'm looking forward to it.

• Like 2

Got a lot of respect for wolves as a club. They are a genuine big club imo with a great history. Their ten year run from 1950-1960 was similar to the great Leeds team of 65-75. Wolves then were one of the top teams in Europe and played a part in the formation of the European cup. Living where I live the two main teams not including united or Liverpool are villa and wolves, so growing up wolves were our main local rivals for me. Anyway onto the game and I think this is one of the biggest wolves villa games in a long time. They are flying at the top and we have hit form and are unbeaten in 7 or 8. It's looking like a sell out, so should make for a good game. UTV

I think we may see

Johnstone

Terry---Samba---Chester

Elmohamady---Whelan---Hourihane---Adomah

Snodgrass

Davis---Kodija

He may keep the 4-4-2 and put Hutton or someone else in the left back position. I think Samba is less of a liability than Hutton and although he may tire, if he keeps his concentration, Samba could do a good job of keeping Wolves out of our box.

Substitutions will be crucial as Whelan, Samba and possibly others may tire after having to be alert and energetic.

Wolves are a positive and quick team and it's going to be a real test, we'll have to take our chances and there's a possibility it will be our set pieces that we shall need to capitalise on.

I shall say 2-1 Villa. Hourihane free kick and Terry bullet header from a corner. :flag:

Edited by 8pints
I forgot snodgrass

it's about time Terry nicks a goal for us. I think we'll have to play tough and bully their offense with our strong defense and stress them on the counter. We have a solid defensive setup (a real shame we're missing Taylor for this one however) but we're also strong going forward now with Adomah in super-form, Kodija back and looking for more goals, David being a strong presence up front and Snodgrass getting into match fitness (he scored for Scotland, good signs!). I think this will be an incredibly tough game for both teams and it's really hard to predict.

I think we might just take it 2-1 with Kodija and Terry to score. Here's hoping! UTV!

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Got a lot of respect for wolves as a club. They are a genuine big club imo with a great history. Their ten year run from 1950-1960 was similar to the great Leeds team of 65-75. Wolves then were one of the top teams in Europe and played a part in the formation of the European cup. Living where I live the two main teams not including united or Liverpool are villa and wolves, so growing up wolves were our main local rivals for me. Anyway onto the game and I think this is one of the biggest wolves villa games in a long time. They are flying at the top and we have hit form and are unbeaten in 7 or 8. It's looking like a sell out, so should make for a good game. UTV

unbeaten in 8 games. our last loss was against Reading away from home. :)

20 hours ago, PatrickCousens said:

Statistics can lead you where you want Andy. Another one would be that we've conceded only once in 7 games. 

It'll be a tight game, I'm looking forward to it.

Completely agree.

I think there's a number of ways we could play this game.

1 - We could go all out for it from the start and try to get 0-2 before HT. A few tiring Villa players would need replacing on the 60min 65min & 70 min marks. If it ends up 0-3 I will claim Bruce as our savior, if it then ended up:

1-2 would be a great result

2-2 would be slightly disappointing but a well earned point - and a marker set of our intent to give it a go.

3-2 would be a sign that is wont happen under SB.

2 - Nullify Wolves attacking strengths and slow burn the game in our favour getting a 0-1 win or 0-0/1-1 draw.

I think we have to be both solid and massed at the back when Wolves are in possesion therefore I'd go

SJ

Bree Chester Terry RDL

Elmo Whelan Hourihane Adomah

Snodgrass

Kodjia

At some point Whelan for Jedi (if fit) will tire so a straight swap on 55-60mins.

Snodgrass will probably tire too then Davis should come on, Elmo ready to push further on up the wing.

If Kodjia tires too Hogan can come on

We must double up on their wide players (Bree/Elmo-RDL/Adomah) and the MF space must be blocked off by Whelan Hourihane & Snodgrass. We have a confident GK now and a central defence we can trust. But to avoid the "Alamo" we cant be just hoofing to Kodjia we must use Elmo Adomah Snodgrass as outlets too.

If we sit back too much Kodjia will have to conjure up 2 goals for a draw as Wolves can and will go for the throat.

This could end up anything from 4-0 to them and 0-3 to us with every score inbetween being possible.

This is the test for Bruce to show us what he's got.

• Like 1

I may to have to miss the last 10mins of this because I agreed to going to out for dinner with th wife's family before realising there was a slight overlap. 

The result will be in the bag by then right..right? 

Cue 5-0 Wolves gags

1 hour ago, Reivax_Villa said:

Tried to join  - didnt work ???????

I'm ok with Wolves. Ole Olsen was my hero as a kid speedway fan so I went to Monmore Green a lot in the 70's.

Anyway

I'd take a point or 3 right now

7 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

Tried to join  - didnt work ???????

I'm ok with Wolves. Ole Olsen was my hero as a kid speedway fan so I went to Monmore Green a lot in the 70's.

Anyway

I'd take a point or 3 right now

My grandad has been going for donkeys. He switched to Wolverhampton after the brummies folded, but I do believe they have started back up again. 

• Like 1

Obviously very concerned (as everyone else is) about the left back spot - haven't managed to see much of Wolves this season, but most of my mates are Wolves fans and they rave about their forward players, so whoever plays at left back has a big job on their hands. This will be my third competitive away game - crossing my fingers it goes better than the previous two (3-1 loss away at Man City and 4-1 loss away at man united), but reckon we might take a bit of a beating. Would go with the same team as the last few matches but with RDL (if fit) in for Taylor.

Pleasantly surprised at so much positivity on here going into this one.

Unfortunately I can't really share it. We've been on a great run but not played particularly well IMO most of the time, and the opposition has not been great. While we haven't conceded many, even Burton managed to create chances against us, so I can't see us keeping Wolves at bay very long. And I can't see us getting enough of the ball at Molineux to put much pressure on them. We will need to convert a very high percentage of our chances to win this.

3-1 Wolves. Hope I'm wildly off beam, obviously.

5 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Despite our recent form being comparable to theirs I don’t think we are anywhere near as good as them in terms of our play.

Expect us to lose, would be happy with a point.

Im positive that if this was to be decided on who plays the best it would be no contest. However we are lucky that games are not decided like this.

I agree we are underdogs here....but i wonder if that will suit us?

3 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Despite our recent form being comparable to theirs I don’t think we are anywhere near as good as them in terms of our play.

Expect us to lose, would be happy with a point.

Must say, this I agree with.