Pre match buildup

Demitri_C

49 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Really hope Bruce doesn't bottle this and play defensively, after watching his interview he seems concerned by their attacking trio.

If we adjust our tactics to match their strike force, playing 3 at the back or dropping a CDM in, then it will reduce the attacking intent of our own side and pile some more pressure on us.

In this league we shouldn't fear any team, our squad is more than capable of beating anyone without having to adjust our tactics.

Quite a few in this thread have commented very cautiously, it would not be out of order for the manager to feel the same way and act accordingly.

2 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Sounds like bruce has ruled out Bjarnasson at LB too... I like the lad but he's terrible in that position (and I'm yet to see one he's good in).

Hutton or RDL for LB, sound fine to me. Needs must.

"Least risky" choice is Hutton.

Just now, AVTuco said:

"Least risky" choice is Hutton.

Really? I think least risky, and I use that in the same sense as you, is RDL. To me Hutton doesn't have the tactical awareness to switch sides, whereas RDL has played there before hasn't he? I might be wrong obv, I suppose Hutton has the most recent match experience as De Laet has been sidelined for a good while and hasn't played many mins at all this year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AVTuco said:

Quite a few in this thread have commented very cautiously, it would not be out of order for the manager to feel the same way and act accordingly.

And in the main ,it seems to be coming from his supposedly biggest cheerleaders . We're Aston Villa, for ,God sake ,the  biggest club in the league ,let's play like we are .

2 hours ago, Dick said:

I’ve got a feeling because of their attacking players and because of Taylor, we will go 3 at the back.

I worry about that too. Bruce has his excuse for using three at the ready (Taylor's suspension) if he wants to use three at the back. But we should be trying to change as little as possible from our shape and system. So its straight swap for LB for me. Keep what's working well for us and be positive. The only shitter is we have no suitable replacement for Taylor, but making big changes to the shape is a bad idea, especially as the players won't have any time to work on new positioning and game styles after returning from the international break. 

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

Bruce needs to react to the results last night and go for it today. I will be extremely disappointed if he goes all defensive, I mean Wolves are playing well, but they are no Chelsea.

I think the results last night are totally irrelevant given it's mid October and I don't expect Bruce to be pay attention to other teams results this stage.

Defensive is the way to go away at Wolves given their form and we do have players who can hit them on the break. In addition, Wolves play with pace. They have young, fast players that can hurt us and we have centre backs with a combined age of 65. Going on the attack would tantamount to footballing suicide.

Edited by One For The Road

47 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I would be surprised if he played 3 at the back after admitting it didn't work at Bristol. I think Bruce just goes through the combinations to find the right formation, and then he will stick to it. A hard fought 2 nil win to the Villa, Terry and Kodjia.

I’m fairly certain we won’t see 3 at the back again this season.

33 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

I think the results last night are totally irrelevant given it's mid October and I don't expect Bruce to be pay attention to other teams results this stage.

Defensive is the way to go away at Wolves given their form and we do have players who can hit them on the break. In addition, Wolves play with pace. They have young, fast players that can hurt us and we have centre backs with a combined age of 65. Going on the attack would tantamount to footballing suicide.

No don't agree with this. If its to early to think about results we may as well go all out attack and not worry about a loss.  I can't get into the mindset Wolves are some kind of Man City of the Championship. They are no better than us when we are on form.

Why do people not want to worry about results now anyway. Are we not bothered about being up top until the end of the season. I say win as many as we can and get as far up the league as possible irrelevant of what time of the season it is. 

I would have thought it best to go all out early in the season and worry about playing defensive when we are top 2 with a few games to go.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

No don't agree with this. If its to early to think about results we may as well go all out attack and not worry about a loss.  I can't get into the mindset Wolves are some kind of Man City of the Championship. They are no better than us when we are on form.

Why do people not want to worry about results now anyway. Are we not bothered about being up top until the end of the season. I say win as many as we can and get as far up the league as possible irrelevant of what time of the season it is. 

I would have thought it best to go all out early in the season and worry about playing defensive when we are top 2 with a few games to go.

It's called tactics. Its not about weather Wolves are the Man City of the championship or not, it's about playing to our strengths and exposing their weaknesses. If you pay a high line against a fast team you are asking for trouble. Whoever it's against.

Also I didn't say it's to early to worry about results!! I said it's too early to worry about other teams results. Huge difference.

Edited by One For The Road
  • Like 1