England v Slovenia Lithuania v England

andykeenan

Thuraday 5 Oct England v Slovenia 

Sundqy 8 Oct 5pm Lithuania v England

The squad 

Dele Alli (Tottenham Hotspur), Ryan Bertrand (Southampton), Jack Butland (Stoke City), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Aaron Cresswell (West Ham United), Jermain Defoe (AFC Bournemouth), Fabian Delph (Manchester City), Eric Dier (Tottenham Hotspur), Fraser Forster (Southampton), Joe Hart (West Ham United, on loan from Manchester City), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Phil Jones (Manchester United), Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), Michael Keane (Everton), Jesse Lingard (Manchester United), Jake Livermore (West Bromwich Albion), Harry Maguire (Leicester City), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Liverpool), Jordan Pickford (Everton), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Chris Smalling (Manchester United), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City), John Stones (Manchester City), Daniel Sturridge (Liverpool), Kieran Trippier (Tottenham Hotspur), Kyle Walker (Manchester City).

7 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

giphy.gif

Delph has only played 240 minutes of premier league football in 2 years for City. That is less than 3 matches in two years...

Again showing that Southgate is the same backward thinking prat as most employees of the FA. 

So, positionally ...

GK Jordan Pickford (Everton),
GK Fraser Forster (Southampton),
GK Joe Hart (West Ham United, on loan from Manchester City),
GK Jack Butland (Stoke City),

LB Aaron Cresswell (West Ham United),
LB Ryan Bertrand (Southampton),
RB Kieran Trippier (Tottenham Hotspur),
RB Kyle Walker (Manchester City).
CB John Stones (Manchester City),
CB Gary Cahill (Chelsea),
CB Chris Smalling (Manchester United),
CB Harry Maguire (Leicester City),
CB Michael Keane (Everton),
CB Phil Jones (Manchester United),

DM Jake Livermore (West Bromwich Albion),
DM Eric Dier (Tottenham Hotspur),
DM Jordan Henderson (Liverpool),
CM Fabian Delph (Manchester City),
AM Dele Alli (Tottenham Hotspur)
AM Jesse Lingard (Manchester United),
AM Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Liverpool),
AM Raheem Sterling (Manchester City),

CF Jermain Defoe (AFC Bournemouth),
CF Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur),
CF Marcus Rashford (Manchester United),
CF Daniel Sturridge (Liverpool),

20 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

giphy.gif

Delph has only played 240 minutes of premier league football in 2 years for City. That is less than 3 matches in two years...

Yeah but he played them for a top 4 club. Don't you know that automatically gets you a call up?

I swear if I managed to get Pep to play me for a half I'd get a call up to the England squad.

Edited by Stevo985

7 minutes ago, Genie said:

It's amazing that the FA keep appointing managers who make the same stupid decisions over and over.

Its amazing he got the job at all really. His time at Middlesbrough wasn't the best then he had a relatively successful time with the u21's, but then so has Aidy Boothroyd. 

Could you imagine the outcry if Boothroyd got the job? And for me they are not too dissimilar in terms of their CV's. 

6 hours ago, BOF said:

So, positionally ...

GK Jordan Pickford (Everton),
GK Fraser Forster (Southampton),
GK Joe Hart (West Ham United, on loan from Manchester City),
GK Jack Butland (Stoke City),

LB Aaron Cresswell (West Ham United),
LB Ryan Bertrand (Southampton),
RB Kieran Trippier (Tottenham Hotspur),
RB Kyle Walker (Manchester City).
CB John Stones (Manchester City),
CB Gary Cahill (Chelsea),
CB Chris Smalling (Manchester United),
CB Harry Maguire (Leicester City),
CB Michael Keane (Everton),
CB Phil Jones (Manchester United),

DM Jake Livermore (West Bromwich Albion),
DM Eric Dier (Tottenham Hotspur),
DM Jordan Henderson (Liverpool),
CM Fabian Delph (Manchester City),
AM Dele Alli (Tottenham Hotspur)
AM Jesse Lingard (Manchester United),
AM Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Liverpool),
AM Raheem Sterling (Manchester City),

CF Jermain Defoe (AFC Bournemouth),
CF Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur),
CF Marcus Rashford (Manchester United),
CF Daniel Sturridge (Liverpool),

That's more or less the squad England will take to the world cup give or take a surprise player and an injury or two.

Can anyone see that even getting past the group stages. I think England will be preying they'll get in Russia's group as most of the other top seeds will wide the floor with them and then there's huge pressure on the other two games which didn't work out well last time.

10 hours ago, Zatman said:

Jake Livermore really is a meh player and no idea how he is in the squad same with Delph

Ox, Stones, Hart, Smalling not much better either 

I largely agree with your assessment of the players. However, I can't think of many players you could really replace them with and that's why they're in the squad. 

It's all well and good saying players in the squad aren't very good but if we have no alternatives then I don't know what Southgate is really supposed to do.

We just haven't got a great number 10 have we? 

We've got Alli, who is a really good player, but we haven't got anyone like Countinho, or Silva, De Bruyne, Eriksen, or anyone who can run with the ball and open up a defence, or pop a shot in from 20/30 yards.

We've previously had Lampard, Scholes, Gazza, Le Tiss (lol) but that's just a squad of 6ft athletes with little, to no close control or good passing ability.  Headless chickens like Sterling, Lingaard, Henderson, Livermore and Ox.  

Edited by lapal_fan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, tom_avfc said:

I largely agree with your assessment of the players. However, I can't think of many players you could really replace them with and that's why they're in the squad. 

It's all well and good saying players in the squad aren't very good but if we have no alternatives then I don't know what Southgate is really supposed to do.

Antonio, Foster, Dawson are in better form for a start. Just because have bigger reputation or play for lesser clubs they are included

E.g Last two world cup winners were cut throat enough to axe the high profile captain who wasnt contributing to the squad in Raul and Ballack and go with hungrier players

Â