England v Slovenia Lithuania v England

andykeenan

More to life than just getting over the line and qualifying.

That is as bad a performance as I have ever seen and is typical of everything we have seen from England the past few tournaments. No leaders, no urgency, seemingly no gameplan or way of playing. Slow, turgid, nobody taking responsibility, nobody willing to take a risk.

Really is little point getting on the plane if that is how we plan on playing.

If this was the old days of qualifying like we say under GT they wouldn't be on the plane.

6 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Scotland quietly have 4 wins out of 5.

Would love to see them make the play offs. Been too long without them at a major tournament.

The game didnt win wasnt that harry kane late equaliser? Keep that out and they have 2nd wrapped up :o

Munch like in the CL there is next to no jeopardy in WC qualifying any more.

Just a string of meaningless games against forgettable opposition played out in front of sparse crowds at Wembley made up of people with more money than sense.

International football is utterly shit. We are shit but sadly not shit enough to throw in a little jeopardy.

Remember Beckham spanking in that free kick against Greece? These games used to have an edge, they used to be almost events in themselves.

These days they are almost meaningless.

• Like 2

Apart from not having good enough players Englands biggest issue is Wembley.  If the games were spread around the country again and only the important ones at Wembley I think it would improve things.  

I watched the Scotland game just flicking over every now and again to England and it was like chalk and cheese.

Got no faith in Southgate to motivate a group of players. Don't expect us to win things but at least have passion and look like we have a plan.

42 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

Apart from not having good enough players Englands biggest issue is Wembley.  If the games were spread around the country again and only the important ones at Wembley I think it would improve things.  

I watched the Scotland game just flicking over every now and again to England and it was like chalk and cheese.

Got no faith in Southgate to motivate a group of players. Don't expect us to win things but at least have passion and look like we have a plan.

I agree re Wembley, but they're never going to change it . . . they're desperately trying to make it economically viable. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

Munch like in the CL there is next to no jeopardy in WC qualifying any more.

Just a string of meaningless games against forgettable opposition played out in front of sparse crowds at Wembley made up of people with more money than sense.

International football is utterly shit. We are shit but sadly not shit enough to throw in a little jeopardy.

Remember Beckham spanking in that free kick against Greece? These games used to have an edge, they used to be almost events in themselves.

These days they are almost meaningless.

It's too easy to qualify these days and rarely do England get drawn against another bid country. What made the 2002 WCQ campaign so exciting is that you had top quality country in Germany in the same group and in those days second place would only get you into the playoffs. It's a shit waste of time these days.

• Like 1

With the World Cup expansion to 48 teams from 32 it will probably only get worse too, it will be interesting to see how qualification changes if it does. South America have 6 slots in future (out of ten teams). Hard to see that being as competitive as it is now when 60% of teams will qualify outright. At least Oceania will get a place automatically, so the whole play off thing as it stands for them will be gone. With only a handful of countries in each of those federations though it makes sense to have a league where everyone plays each other home and away. CONCACAF are getting 6 places too from 2026 onwards. With 35 members though they'll surely restructure their qualifying, especially as at present the last round is of 6 teams fighting it out for 3 places and a play off spot.

Africa (9) and Asia (8) are the biggest beneficiaries but do also have almost as many members as UEFA who will get 16 places. The host will be taken from the allocation of their own federation in future. And then there's the whole play off thing for the last 2 spots. Where all the confederations (Except UEFA) enter 1 team + an additional team from the host confederation. They are split into 2 pots of 3. The 2 highest seeded teams get a bye and play the winners of the other two. So, if the World Cup was to be in South America for instance, 8 of their 10 teams could ultimately qualify in future if their seedings meant they avoided each other in the play offs. 5 + the hosts + the 2 play off winners. Not that I begrudge more S.American teams being there. Paraguay would certainly give England a good run for their money lets face it! In terms of diluting the tournament, we will see, but qualification is going to be pretty boring for the bigger teams in future, but lets face it that's how they like it.

The lack of competitive qualifying is one thing with England. The total lack of individual on the ball ability compared to the S.Americans, Spanish etc is undeniable, systematic and endemic. Remember Nicky Butt being laughed at in Brazil when Man Utd were playing in that world club tournament? Like they couldn't believe he was an actual footballer? Yes it was funny, but until we start churning out players as a nation with Delph's ability to dribble and keep the ball for instance, AS STANDARD, we'll be watching cloggers like Henderson and Dier for years to come. Waddle's been banging on about it for years and he's bang on the money imo. And as for the national team? The amount of caps players like LeTissier, Hoddle, McManaman, Cowans, Shaw and their ilk never received in their prime is part of this problem for me.

yesterday was woeful, but our players are really lacking in calibre, and the smaller nations have steadily improved and closed the gap. Southgate hasn't been dealt a great hand. Not excusing him entirely, I'm sure those players could be better, but not spectacularly so. I think our players are just naff. 

Going back around the country would be a lovely idea but never happening mind. 

Â