England v Slovenia Lithuania v England

andykeenan

24 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Antonio, Foster, Dawson are in better form for a start. Just because have bigger reputation or play for lesser clubs they are included

E.g Last two world cup winners were cut throat enough to axe the high profile captain who wasnt contributing to the squad in Raul and Ballack and go with hungrier players

I thought Foster had retired from international football but may be wrong. I don't really see the need for having 4 keepers in the squad to be honest so you could just remove Hart from that squad really.

Antonio hasn't had a great start to the season (who has at West Ham to be fair). Again I'd have no issue if he was in the squad rather than Oxlade-Chamberlain but I don't see a great deal of difference between them. Similar could be said for Dawson in for Smalling.

Livermore and Delph are the two who most have been critical of but there's been no alternative suggested for central midfield.

Picking on form is all well and good but if you have a lack of on form English players of even average Premier League quality then there's not a great deal you can do. Henderson has also had a pretty poor start to the season but its reached the point where nobody even questions his inclusion. That sums up how far the England squad has declined to me.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

We just haven't got a great number 10 have we? 

We've got Alli, who is a really good player, but we haven't got anyone like Countinho, or Silva, De Bruyne, Eriksen, or anyone who can run with the ball and open up a defence, or pop a shot in from 20/30 yards.

We've previously had Lampard, Scholes, Gazza, Le Tiss (lol) but that's just a squad of 6ft athletes with little, to no close control or good passing ability.  Headless chickens like Sterling, Lingaard, Henderson, Livermore and Ox.  

Ross Barkley looked like that player 18 months back. Just hasn't kicked on. Same for Wilshere. Leaves a void and the quality is poor.

Personally I'd try out Lallana in central midfield when he gets fit again, see if he can make a difference as he's decent technically at least.

• Like 1

On ‎29‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 10:37, lapal_fan said:

We just haven't got a great number 10 have we? 

We've got Alli, who is a really good player, but we haven't got anyone like Countinho, or Silva, De Bruyne, Eriksen, or anyone who can run with the ball and open up a defence, or pop a shot in from 20/30 yards.

We've previously had Lampard, Scholes, Gazza, Le Tiss (lol) but that's just a squad of 6ft athletes with little, to no close control or good passing ability.  Headless chickens like Sterling, Lingaard, Henderson, Livermore and Ox.  

We haven't had a play maker since maybe Scholes or Gazza. . We've had goal scoring midfield players but nobody like Erikson, De Bruyne, Forsberg or an Iniesta. We just don't produce them! why is that down to the way players are coached to be athletes rather than footballers. 

Just now, PaulC said:

We haven't had a play maker since maybe Scholes or Gazza. . We've had goal scoring midfield players but nobody like Erikson, De Bruyne, Forsberg or an Iniesta. We just don't produce them! why is that down to the way players are coached to be athletes rather than footballers. 

You'll find it's because when kids are 10 or 11, only the biggest, fastest lads get picked for the academies.  

The little, techinical players just get brushed off the ball, so they don't get recognised, or developed.  

I mean, look at Ash Young, he was cast off and only just made it into the professional game as a winger (where you can get away with being smaller).  

It's definitely the clubs fault, their criteria for being a good footballer is based on power, rather than skill. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Harry Winks, Jake Livermore, Jesse Lingaard - some of the worst midfielders to ever receive an England call up right there.

I'd rather have Geoff Thomas, Carlton Palmer and Andy Sinton! 

I'll be honest i've never even heard of Winks. I appreciate I don't follow the Premier League circus as much as I did.

Playing for a 'top' team and being English is a instant way to an international call up now 

oohhhhh two England games you say.....

And not a shinny &£@“ was given.

The England team is as pointless as Crystal Palace, we all know we will breeze through qualifying and we all know we will be shit come the summer. Rinse and repeat.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Harry Winks, Jake Livermore, Jesse Lingaard - some of the worst midfielders to ever receive an England call up right there.

Winks is only at the start of his career but think back to the mid to late 90s and there were some really good midfielders and strikers who played 50-100 prem games before they got a call up/cap.

Dion Dublin was a regular 20 goal a season striker but he only got a call up in his late 90s when he moved to us.

Has Winks even played 5 full games for Spurs in the league yet. Central midfield is a really wasteland for the national team.

10 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Winks is only at the start of his career but think back to the mid to late 90s and there were some really good midfielders and strikers who played 50-100 prem games before they got a call up/cap.

Dion Dublin was a regular 20 goal a season striker but he only got a call up in his late 90s when he moved to us.

Has Winks even played 5 full games for Spurs in the league yet. Central midfield is a really wasteland for the national team.

Yes and Jake Livermore makes Carlton Palmer look like Patrick Viera.

Â