Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Middlesbrough

limpid

Match Polls  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Perfomance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 16/09/17 at 16:30

5 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

An early sending off leading one team playing the spoiler, a team that struggle to break that down and a weak referee looking to even things up - if you've been wondering, that's the perfect equation to make me door-kickin' hacked off.

The sending off of Adoma for me looked absolutely clear as day, he's leapt in about three feet off the ground and absolutely lunged at Hourihane from yards away - as clear a red as you'll ever see - even then, this referee needed the help of a grown up with a flag to make a decision that anyone who's seen a game in the last three years would have made instantly.

The sending off of Lansbury was the yellowest of yellow cards you could imagine - a player chasing back, sensing danger and saying to himself - there's danger here, I'll trip him and take a yellow. It's not a goalscoring opportunity, the whole back four were still in front of him, it's not reckless and he's not out of control - he's the opposite of that, he's a professional footballer taking the thought out professional decision that tripping the player in front of him is worth a yellow card - the sensible decision of an experienced pro - a professional foul in the purest sense and one that gets you a yellow card every single time in every single game you'll ever do it in. The ref couldn't wait to even up the numbers.

Other than that, I thought we played well in small patches, created the chances to win the game two or three times and looked more solid at the back than we've looked for a little bit. For me, this was Terry's best game so far. Adomah looked a danger and the substitutions were good ones I thought. We don't have much in the way of creativity and we don't have a central midfielder who will take a step into the opposition penalty area - the player with most movement was Snodgrass - I hope he can keep it.

Sometimes in these games you get the feeling that it's one of those days (that we have a lot of) and the late away winner is inevitable - this wasn't one of those, I always felt we'd score - I know that sounds ridiculous, because we never score - but that's how the game felt. We absolutely dominated.

It's massively, hugely frustrating - this is a game we deserved to win and should have won and we haven't.

Between the sendings off, Boro did everything to make the game ugly - faking injuries, taking ages over everything to waste time, deliberately taking throw ins and free kicks from the wrong place to force the referee into making them take it again. It was an object lesson in how to kill a football match. Fair play to em I guess, they got what they wanted - personally I'd prefer they got what they deserved.

The odious behaviour of the team was mirrored by the delightful behaviour of a group of fans who represent everything there is about their town - a small, pointless, flat, ugly thing, angry that this is all that the world deigned to give them. I hope the M6 North is closed and I really, really want to beat this vapid, negative, idiotic bunch next week.

In terms of the manager, it wasn't great, but he made positive substitutions and we were better than last week. Tonight for me is one for less blame on him and a little more on the fickle fortune of goalscoring luck and the weakness of a very bad referee.

Totally agree with every last word, well put. 

• Like 2

Johnstone - 7 - Great save in first few minutes, then again later in the game. Had a lot more real work to do than his counterpart.

Elmo - 5 - starts at RB, moves to midfield, surprised Bruce didn't use him in Goal just to keep using his mate somewhere on the pitch.

Terry - 6 - Some good passing but still looks suspect in defence. Crossfield ball towards end was dire.

Chester - 6 - Not reaching last seasons standards, clearly not formed partnership/ understanding with Terry.

Taylor - 7 - Good first half particularly, weak in physical battles.

Thor - 3 - What was that?!

Jedinak - 4 - Rusty, slow and awful passing. So normal game for him. Praised because he has a beard.

Lansbury - 5 - Great first half, absolutely stupid red card: harsh but why give ref the chance? 

Hourihane - 8 - Got forward, should have scored, looked to create. Last touch of the game was pathetic however.

Snodgrass - 7 - Strong on the ball, showing some promise but lacks sharpness of any end product yet

Davis - 5 - Nullified largely. Should have had support second Boro were down to 10. And if he was too tired on Sat, why lead again today Bruce?!

Adomah - 7.5 - Came on, caused problems and was main hope. Bruce saw this so pushed him to RB. Not his signing after all...

Hogan - 5 - Let's just say in to forget eh.... already a laughing stock with his 'clearance'.

Kodjia - 5 - a little run out, little to praise or criticise. Still can't pass though.

Bruce - 0 - Awful line up. Way too defensive. Explain RB other than fitting in old pal Elmo somewhere  - Bree, Hutton, DeLaet all available. Explain nullifying Adomah. Explain waiting til half time to go attacking - react to what's happening in the game. Doesn't have a clue.

So bored of the same sh*t every week. Called this result second Adama got sent off, even guessing we'd lose a player too. We're predictable and dull and going nowhere.

Anyone up for the cup game next week - same teams, just even less quality?!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Lerner's Driver said:

I thought, as many did, you surely can't discount his record, he must have something about him to get four teams up, but he now looks utterly clueless. Some of it may be bad luck, but luck tends to mirror the general performance level and right now nothing is working. I never bothered reading up on it before he arrived, but does anybody know what got him results at other clubs because it can't have been 'this'?

I think the financial responsibilities the club has is bearing down on him and the desperate promotion we need is affecting him....best if it ends now.

its all so predictable.

Edited by TRO

45 minutes ago, villarocker said:

Or, maybe necessary if the player is unhappy with the manager and thinks another game without winning will see the axe fall?

Now that's just wishful thinking:)

Johnstone - 7.5 (MOTM) - Two saves earned us a point. From the corner in the opening minutes and then to deny Assombalonga.

Elmo - 5.5 - Went on one nice run down the right but Hogan failed to connect with the cross.

Terry - 6 - Some great crossfield balls but got done by Assombalonga which should have cost us a goal.

Chester - 6 - Thought he was fine.

Taylor - 6 - Nice ball for Lansbury which created a good opportunity. Could have resulted in a penalty.

Bjarnason - 4 - Isn't technically adept enough for a game where you have 70% possession. Missed his opportunity at scoring too.

Jedinak - 5 - Passing in the first 5-10 was terrible but was fine after he settled. Rightly taken off as there was no need for his role playing against 10.

Lansbury - 4 - Created a good chance and possibly should have won a penalty. Tackle was utterly stupid. Opposition went around him like he wasn't there and left his decision to tackle so late there was 0% chance of him getting the ball. Wasn't surprised with the result.

Hourihane - 7 - Stiff not to have scored. Should be nearly the first name on the sheet at the moment.

Snodgrass - 6.5 - Looked dangerous and should have scored the chance that hit the bar.

Davis - 5 - Red card meant he had very little space to work in.

Adomah - 7 - Caused trouble the minute he came on before being moved to RB. 

Hogan - 5 - Not at fault for blocking Hourihane's shot as had no time to move out of the way, but pretty much epitomises his time here.

Kodjia - 6 - Another one who made an impact immediately. Forced a good save from a header at the back post and headed another chance over the bar.

2 hours ago, Lerner's Driver said:

I thought, as many did, you surely can't discount his record, he must have something about him to get four teams up, but he now looks utterly clueless. Some of it may be bad luck, but luck tends to mirror the general performance level and right now nothing is working. I never bothered reading up on it before he arrived, but does anybody know what got him results at other clubs because it can't have been 'this'?

Scrapping out results, keeping it tight at the back and playing long ball, a lot of luck thrown in there. A lot of blues fans wanted rid of him before he did go Wigan. 

Only saw the highlights, but we should of won that game. Our players are missing chances that international players shouldn't be missing. I have to agree with Bruce when he says our missed chances are costing us. If they keep happening they will cost him his job.

I agree, he probably should have gone on the attack after the sending off, but you practice a formation all week, I can see why you would want to try it a bit longer in the game. 

I would have sent Lansbury off too, there is difference between taking one for the team and the cynical (high) tackle he did.

Edited by villianusa

10 hours ago, villianusa said:

Only saw the highlights, but we should of won that game. Our players are missing chances that international players shouldn't be missing. I have to agree with Bruce when he says our missed chances are costing us. If they keep happening they will cost him his job.

I agree, he probably should have gone on the attack after the sending off, but you practice a formation all week, I can see why you would want to try it a bit longer in the game. 

I would have sent Lansbury off too, there is difference between taking one for the team and the cynical (high) tackle he did.

but the clear cut chances are not as plentiful as some allude to.

We are snatching at things, because we are not creating chances clear cut enough.....teams are getting bodies in front of us.

We have to find a way of /pulling defences out of position and capitalising.....we are too easily stifled.

• Like 1

Only 26k there and STILL the traffic is horrendous leaving the area.

Shout out to the miserable bitch in the white Skoda that didn't follow the gentleman's code of 'one for one' for joining traffic. Hope you got a flat tyre later in your journey. Word removed.

Oh, and Bruce out... don't think this winning of a point lets you off the hook. We could have won that game, but it's a results business. And two nil-nils at home in four days just won't do. The manner of your underachievement in ELEVEN months is enough. You have actually made ZERO impression. Nada.

2 hours ago, TRO said:

but the clear cut chances are not as plentiful as some allude to.

We are snatching at things, because we are not creating chances clear cut enough.....teams are getting bodies in front of us.

We have to find a way of /pulling defences out of position and capitalising.....we are too easily stifled.

Never said they were plentiful, but we are still missing chances other teams would be putting away. If that is playing under pressure, or players just being careless it needs to be corrected. We still had enough clear cut chances to win the game yesterday.

• Like 1

It was  a frustrating night as we created enough chances to win but didn't convert. The positives is that we carried on dominating the match even when it was 10 v 10 bar 1 shot, Snodgrass looks a fine player for this level and Kodja is back. I can't see how much else Bruce could have done, all the subs were positive. On another night he would have brought Whelan no but to be fair he went for it by bringing Kodja off the bench. We go again?

Edit- I hope the club stops showing those cringy chants on the big screen. Naff central. 

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Edit- I hope the club stops showing those cringy chants on the big screen. Naff central. 

That is truly awful. Are they really expecting fans to see those words and start chanting? As if the only thing stopping fans chanting is knowing the words to the chant, or which one to sing at that particular time? What a nonsense.

But at least they've stopped playing the fake chants through the PA System before the game.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

That is truly awful. Are they really expecting fans to see those words and start chanting? As if the only thing stopping fans chanting is knowing the words to the chant, or which one to sing at that particular time? What a nonsense.

But at least they've stopped playing the fake chants through the PA System before the game.

The worse bit was when the boro (yes boro) fans starting taking the pish by 'roaring'. Please stop it now. 

• Like 1

Â