Commonwealth Games 2022

villa4europe

24 minutes ago, Xela said:

Nice show.

Lets hope the mechanical bull waddles down to the sty in small heath and flattens it.

Quite likely, that red colour it went did have a hint of claret! 

• Like 1

I think we were a bit cheeky stealing some Midlanders as Brummies.   There are plenty enough famous people actually from Brum/made their name actually in Brum to cover off.  Surprised they didn't cover more on Boulton, Watt and Murdoch.  Could have had a massive version of The Golden Boys moving around the stadium.

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I think we were a bit cheeky stealing some Midlanders as Brummies.   There are plenty enough famous people actually from Brum/made their name actually in Brum to cover off.  Surprised they didn't cover more on Boulton, Watt and Murdoch.  Could have had a massive version of The Golden Boys moving around the stadium.

Possibly but then that's a bit like the games themselves. They're not just taking place in Birmingham

1 minute ago, Brumerican said:

Not much compared to the cost of flying them . I'd imagine they lose money to be honest.

Yeah, it's about £15k-£20k  I think.  Wouldn't anything like cover the cost of their running.

I expect they will only do certain events considered beneficial to the UK/armed forces.  They're a PR service essentially.

it was holiday mode "from birmingham"

havent got a problem with it personally, there's a lot of stuff they could have covered, unsurprisingly didnt mention villa inventing the football league, didnt touch on peaky blinders as i think that would have been too on the nose, did they say anything about cadburys? didn't touch on the jewelry quarter, im obviously disappointed they didn't drag kiddy in to it and mention we invented the stamp, dont think they mentioned Tolkien either did they? with LOTR coming that feels like a missed opportunity, maybe a cheeky nod to custard

overall though i thought they nailed the inclusiveness of the games and id like to say the city, not just the creeds and colours but also using the likes of Lycett, ginny lemon (although blanche would have been funnier...if you know you know) letting tom daley have the flags but then most importantly for me which ive never seen before but maybe its because ive not paid attention the disabled athletes doing the parade too, me and a mate were in the pub last week asking what they did with the para games because we didnt know, im now assuming they take place in the same time frame rather than a separate event? thats cool if thats the case and i hope they're well supported 

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

havent got a problem with it personally, there's a lot of stuff they could have covered, unsurprisingly didnt mention villa inventing the football league, didnt touch on peaky blinders as i think that would have been too on the nose, did they say anything about cadburys? didn't touch on the jewelry quarter, im obviously disappointed they didn't drag kiddy in to it and mention we invented the stamp, dont think they mentioned Tolkien either did they? with LOTR coming that feels like a missed opportunity, maybe a cheeky nod to custard

overall though i thought they nailed the inclusiveness of the games and id like to say the city, not just the creeds and colours but also using the likes of Lycett, ginny lemon (although blanche would have been funnier...if you know you know) letting tom daley have the flags but then most importantly for me which ive never seen before but maybe its because ive not paid attention the disabled athletes doing the parade too, me and a mate were in the pub last week asking what they did with the para games because we didnt know, im now assuming they take place in the same time frame rather than a separate event? thats cool if thats the case and i hope they're well supported 

Yep, that is the case with the para events.  If you look on the ticketing site the events are both standard and para events.

• Like 1

The lad I was in the pub with works for the international paralympics committee at their head office here in bonn, officially they have nothing to do with the games but he was trying to find out of unofficially they did send delegates over etc so he could get involved somehow 

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

The way we were. Picture Post magazine, 6 February, 1954 (I was one week old). 

IMG20220729111034.jpg

I can't work out what's going on in that picture - is that rubble or mud in the front of the pic and some kids playing in it?

40 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Didn't touch on the Jewellery Quarter?

They mentioned it about 50 times :D 

Just now, Stevo985 said:

Didn't touch on the Jewellery Quarter?

They mentioned it about 50 times :D 

english commentators or in the show?

i had to acquire it :ph34r: so didnt get the english commentary team, if it was part of the show then i missed it

Getting the bug for this and will be in town tomorrow for the Gymnastics so will hopefully be able to catch some of the marathon and just soak it up a bit.  Might go down to Sutton Park Sunday too for some triathlon.

Determined to make this Athletics session on Friday that I have tickets for now too but will have to see on that one.

What a great show of sportsmanship by the New Zealander in the triathlon. 

knew he had a time penalty, high fives Ben Yee and allows him to cross the line first in front of the fans!

Great race too 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

What a great show of sportsmanship by the New Zealander in the triathlon. 

knew he had a time penalty, high fives Ben Yee and allows him to cross the line first in front of the fans!

Great race too 

Very enjoyable. Feel for Wilde but a great result for England. 

• Like 1

Â