Commonwealth Games 2022

villa4europe

1 hour ago, Brumerican said:

Not much compared to the cost of flying them . I'd imagine they lose money to be honest.

The SAS and the Red Arrows/Falcons are the only profit making squadrons of the UK armed forces 

Just now, Pissflaps said:

The SAS and the Red Arrows/Falcons are the only profit making squadrons of the UK armed forces 

The Red Arrows have been facing the axe for decades because they do the opposite of making a profit. Unless there's a joke I have missed I'd need to know more ?  They cost millions a year to maintain and a full tank is expensive yet they only charge a few grand and perform a few times a year ?  There must be some trickle down stuff I'm not seeing .

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brumerican said:

The Red Arrows have been facing the axe for decades because they do the opposite of making a profit. Unless there's a joke I have missed I'd need to know more ?  They cost millions a year to maintain and a full tank is expensive yet they only charge a few grand and perform a few times a year ?  There must be some trickle down stuff I'm not seeing .

Their souvenir pencils are popular, maybe that's where the money is. 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

Are The SAS Wagner in disguise or someting?

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

english commentators or in the show?

i had to acquire it :ph34r: so didnt get the english commentary team, if it was part of the show then i missed it

The commentators while the show was going on. I assumed it was part of a script but maybe not

I believe funding of the red arrows has got something to do with the people that have done their own covid vaccine research are the same people that are likely to stand there and look up with their mouths open during a fly over.

Apparently the red is vaccine, the blue is fluoride and the white is for rejection of cis normative societal mores.

1 hour ago, GeorgeVilla82 said:

That's the date my Mum was born in Birmingham. Do you mind me asking where you found it?

It's from a book, called "The Tiger in the Smoke: Art and Culture in Postwar Britain", by Lynda Nead (which I have just bought). Couldn't find the image online, so I photographed the page (hence the poor quality). There is a Picture Post archive, but I think you have to pay. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ender4 said:

I can't work out what's going on in that picture - is that rubble or mud in the front of the pic and some kids playing in it?

Exactly that. One of the many wartime 'bomb sites' that remained in British cities until well into the 1960s. 

Opening ceremony was decent but again missed out a whole lot of stuff they could have included - LOTR, Mcgregor/football league, Building the spitfires in Castle Brom list goes on. 

Don't know any brummie that says 'bostin'. 

Lenny 'I'm from Dudley' Henry should have stayed there tbh. I liked how he was banging on about how great the games were then admitted he didn't have any tickets to any event

Apparently the Bull is to be dismantled after the games 😔

The designer has said some of the bits inside need to come out unless someone pays for them (I am guessing the Telehandler is on hire) but even if someone did stump up the cash it's very difficult to move and needs a massive storage place. 

Shame really, you'd hope something could be done to keep it permanently and a national tour organised. 

Christ there is some disinteresting rubbish inside Milennium Point, surely it could fit in there somewhere.  Or The NEC owners could have it as an attraction. 

Birmingham doesn't have anything like this, would be a great legacy attraction. 

2 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

Opening ceremony was decent but again missed out a whole lot of stuff they could have included - LOTR, Mcgregor/football league, Building the spitfires in Castle Brom list goes on. 

Don't know any brummie that says 'bostin'. 

Lenny 'I'm from Dudley' Henry should have stayed there tbh. I liked how he was banging on about how great the games were then admitted he didn't have any tickets to any event

I've got a feeling LOTR will be in the closing ceremony. 

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

The designer has said some of the bits inside need to come out unless someone pays for them (I am guessing the Telehandler is on hire) but even if someone did stump up the cash it's very difficult to move and needs a massive storage place. 

Shame really, you'd hope something could be done to keep it permanently and a national tour organised. 

Christ there is some disinteresting rubbish inside Milennium Point, surely it could fit in there somewhere.  Or The NEC owners could have it as an attraction. 

Depending on what material it's made of and if it can be outside they should stick it on a hill next to the motorway near the airport 

Or even on the traffic island at the airport 

12 minutes ago, sidcow said:

The commentator said last night it will have a permanent home in the city.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

The commentator said last night it will have a permanent home in the city.

Oh, that contradicts what the designer said in an interview today

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-62339673

Commonwealth Games: Birmingham bull a tourist attraction

A giant mechanical bull that featured in the opening ceremony of the Commonwealth Games in Birmingham has gone on display in the city centre, and is already proving to be an attraction.

But the future of the bull is not certain, with the team that built the piece expecting it to be dismantled after the Games finish.

[The bull is] too big to easily store anywhere," said Mike Kelt, from special effects company Artem.

"There's bits in it that have to be taken out, so if it was going to exist forever, somebody would have to pay for those bits to stay in it.

"That isn't an enormous sum of money, but I think storage is the problem. And to move it somewhere is also a problem. It takes quite a bit of effort to move it.

"And being 10 metres high, there aren't many places you can move it. It can duck down a bit, but that's about it."

3 hours ago, Brumerican said:

There is. I've worked in that area for years. They don't lose money per se, the problem is the bases and that's why they are being shunted to another base as Scampton is sold for example. 

The SAS make a ton of money training other worldwide special forces detachments. It's quite funny seeing them in and around Perry Barr at the moment 😂

21 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

There is. I've worked in that area for years. They don't lose money per se, the problem is the bases and that's why they are being shunted to another base as Scampton is sold for example. 

The SAS make a ton of money training other worldwide special forces detachments. It's quite funny seeing them in and around Perry Barr at the moment 😂

Isn't the SAS reserve based next to the Post depot in Kingstanding?

• Like 1

Â