Commonwealth Games 2022

villa4europe

31 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I walked passed the bull today in centenary square.  It's flipping massive!  It's tail was moving around and people were inside.

Me too. No people were operating it but there were people absolutely EVERYWHERE. Every bar and restaurant full, their terraces packed.  New Street top to bottom was chocka. 

People taking photos left, right and centre. Saw loads of people taking photos of The Town Hall and Big Brum. 

It's been amazing for the city. 

Also the civic areas of Centenary Square, Chamberlain Square and Victoria Square are fabulous and work really well now the connections have been opened up.  The old Library was not only a terrible building but is was such a barrier to the opening up of the city centre. 

Great to hear Brummie accents everywhere on the telly box as well.  BBC seem to have rolled out every Brummie they can find for voice overs. 

• Like 2

Went to the swimming last night, which was the only event we had booked. Enjoyed it apart from the Aussies clearing most finals up. The girls enjoyed it which was the important thing, the youngest managed to keep cheering and dancing until the end, although got noticeably more tired as is it got later. 

Went into town before hand for the touristy things bull ring bull, Victoria & then Centenary square for the mechanical bull and also went to see the gorilla. There wasn't as much going on as I thought there would be at King Kong Park but it was Monday afternoon, not sure if that's more of an evening/weekend thing.

25 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Seeing the lawn bowls on TV now has triggered memories of it being on TV pretty regularly when I was a kid, maybe on Grandstand on a Saturday.  Am I remembering that right?

Yep I have memories of watching the bowls too. I guess the rights were cheap? 

I'm in the office today and my colleague has just pointed out to me the police snipers overlooking Victoria Square and Chamberlain Square. 

I'm guessing there are similar ones overlooking Centenary Square that I can't see from here too. 

43 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Seeing the lawn bowls on TV now has triggered memories of it being on TV pretty regularly when I was a kid, maybe on Grandstand on a Saturday.  Am I remembering that right?

With the dulcet tones of Dougie Donnelly. Shame he never got the bigger gigs.

11 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I'm in the office today and my colleague has just pointed out to me the police snipers overlooking Victoria Square and Chamberlain Square. 

I'm guessing there are similar ones overlooking Centenary Square that I can't see from here too. 

I guess that is one of the reasons it cost £800 million to host this.

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

Yeah, lots of pickpockets operating in the area apparently 😉😀

22 minutes ago, markc said:

Yeah, lots of pickpockets operating in the area apparently 😉😀

Yeah I know. Managed to get 3 wallets and 2 phones. Not a bad haul really 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Chindie said:

The gymnastics team has smashed it. Gold medals for days.

I thought some of those in the high bar were just hanging on to be fair. 

Edited by sidcow

9 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Yeah, it wasn't too shabby at the Alexander tonight:

IMG_20220802_230550_(1080_x_810_pixel).thumb.jpg.db394871dba550b28e741539b5733431.jpg

Fantastic!

I'm jealous.
I was at the morning session. Which was still great don't get me wrong. But seeing the stadium at night and seeing some medals on offer (we didn't have any medals at ours) looked brilliant.

Only negative for us was the weather. it was so **** muggy and there was so much walking that it made the day really tiring and sweaty. Plus my son pissed on me halfway through so I smelled of wee for the end of it :D (he's 7 months old before you start thinking I've got some problem child)

Brilliant day though. The stadium looks fantastic

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Yeah, it wasn't too shabby at the Alexander tonight:

IMG_20220802_230550_(1080_x_810_pixel).thumb.jpg.db394871dba550b28e741539b5733431.jpg

Great photo. You should submit that to Meaning Evil, probably get it published. 

Â