Commonwealth Games 2022

villa4europe

7 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Looks ready, apparently most not fitted out.

Any evidence for this? Genuine question. I haven't seen any and a quick google doesn't bring anything up.

The only thing I can see is the story about the original village being scrapped for 4 smaller villages, but that happened 2 years ago.

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

Is the village not ready?  From everything i had heard I thought it was.

Yes and no.  What was supposed to be the village was the big new apartment complex where Bham Poly (or sorry, some pretend University) used to be.  After the games it was then supposed to be converted back to normal apartments and sold on.   But about a year ago they claimed it would not be ready on tome so instead split the village out over a number of sites such as Bham University student digs and the NEC hotels.  So there isn't actually a village as such, there are a number of smaller sites.

Meanwhile the original complex looks finished to me, or would have been with a but more urgency.  However I am sure the developers now have more profit to be made by selling totally brand new apartments to spec instead of already partly used apartments.  Call me cynical.

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

Seems more of a vanity project at the moment and to raise the diversity profile of Birmingham. 

1.2m tickets sold.  Redevelopment in loads of place, 2 new railway stations, masses of City Centre improvements.  This is not a vanity project.

4 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Looking at the venues there's only the Gymnastics that look to actually taking place in the city centre (NIA).

Volleyball and basketball are being done at Smithfields.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, sidcow said:

1.2m tickets sold.  Redevelopment in loads of place, 2 new railway stations, masses of City Centre improvements.  This is not a vanity project.

You maybe right, although redevelopment was over due anyway in Perry Barr and surrounding areas. Shame the locals haven't spent there grant's on tidying up there own businesses. 

4 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Meh, it's hardly old Snobs.

He COULD have put that at the end of his tweet but I think it may have somewhat detracted from the punchline of the joke. 

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Any evidence for this? Genuine question. I haven't seen any and a quick google doesn't bring anything up.

The only thing I can see is the story about the original village being scrapped for 4 smaller villages, but that happened 2 years ago.

It wasn't scrapped. Because of covid it could not  be completed in time for the games. The final housing development will be completed. Most games have 7 years to get ready. Brum had 5 with 18 months of that being the pandemic.

Edited by The Fun Factory

28 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

It wasn't scrapped. Because of covid it could not  be completed in time for the games. The final housing development will be completed. Most games have 7 years to get ready. Brum had 5 with 18 months of that being the pandemic.

Yeah I wasn't disagreeing with that. I meant the plans were scrapped in favour of the 4 smaller villages because of the pandemic

Â