• John Terry
    • Nigel Pearson
    • Neil Warnock
    • Aitor Karanka
    • Claude Puel
    • Carlos Carvalhal
    • Other (please state)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/09/17 at 06:08

5 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

Alcohol does strange things to people. :)

So does the barmaid with the beautiful legs......but it does not detract from the fact that 4 football discerning guys had decent things to say about Steve Bruce and 2 of them had reason to be prickly.

On 9/5/2017 at 20:10, mykeyb said:

Is it possible that Bruce has been to well backed financially and has brought in too many players?

At any other club would the manager been allowed to bring in 2 players for the same position when he already had a player there capable of playing that position well enough to warrant only cover was needed.

Selling Baker to bring in Terry when the defence wasn't the issue last season.

We must have the biggest squad in the division with too many options and he cannot resist changing for change same, he last match is the evidence for that.

You think the defence wasn't an issue.....i disagree.

This article has been linked a number of times but it's worth being reminded that Bruce hasn't changed since this was written six years ago. He is unlikely to change the habits of a lifetime now.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2011/nov/30/steve-bruce-sunderland-sacked

I've also just read a comparison between O'Neil and Bruce's methods at Sunderland when they lost the ball. O'Neil's team pressed the ball to both try to regain immediate possession or make the opposition try to play through them, while Bruce's team immediately dropped deep into their own half (almost like a full retreat) leaving loads of space which allowed the opposition to pass the ball at their leisure.

Management is about more than an arm around the shoulder.

1 minute ago, villabromsgrove said:

This article has been linked a number of times but it's worth being reminded that Bruce hasn't changed since this was written six years ago. He is unlikely to change the habits of a lifetime now.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2011/nov/30/steve-bruce-sunderland-sacked

I've also just read a comparison between O'Neil and Bruce's methods at Sunderland when they lost the ball. O'Neil's team pressed the ball to both try to regain immediate possession or make the opposition try to play through them, while Bruce's team immediately dropped deep into their own half (almost like a full retreat) leaving loads of space which allowed the opposition to pass the ball at their leisure.

rory-delap.jpg

rory-delap.jpg

rory-delap.jpg

rory-delap.jpg

rory-delap.jpg

rory-delap.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villabromsgrove said:

Thats where I am totally with you.....I am clear on the observation you make

However,

our slight disparity is this in regards to blame

• You think that is down to Bruce's instruction....i am unsure about the degree of that.
  • I think it could be the mentality of the players too.

My Thoughts are Not set in tablets of stone......just unsure, mainly driven by what I see the players do as individuals.

On a separate note, Sunderland was probably his worst period as manager.....so its probably a loaded article in building a case against him.....but nevertheless its there, just like his 4 promotions are 

If we win tomorrow will it be because of good players performing well or good management?

So far it appears the failings are 85% down to the players from your posts...........while we agree Bruce is culpable I think he is far more to blame than yourself....

55 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

If we win tomorrow will it be because of good players performing well or good management?

So far it appears the failings are 85% down to the players from your posts...........while we agree Bruce is culpable I think he is far more to blame than yourself....

Surely you can understand the reasoning and logic to @TRO 's posts tho? 

I can't imagine any manager sets his team out to perform poorly, and I'd imagine most football managers are aware that the majority of fans want to be entertained too.

I did not want Steve Bruce in charge of Aston Villa ever, but I have to give him credit imo I think he has had one hell of a job trying to shift the losing mentality that was deeply set throughout the club, you can almost feel there is more confidence around the club again and amongst the players, I think the work he has put in behind closed doors is greatly under appreciated and he is steering our ship to calmer waters.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Hope someone is primed and ready to make the call ASAP.

New man in before the end of September or we are in this league for years to come.

Leonid Slutsky would be a good shout.....young international manager... modern thinking and all that.

:)

Edited by TRO
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Hope someone is primed and ready to make the call ASAP.

New man in before the end of September or we are in this league for years to come.

But we are only 7 points off second with 41 games still to play!? 

10 hours ago, TRO said:

Leonid Slutsky would be a good shout.....young international manager... modern thinking and all that.

:)

Are you writing slutsky  off after 5 games yet saying Bruce needs more time after 40 games ;) 

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Eastie said:

Are you writing slutsky  off after 5 games yet saying Bruce needs more time after 40 games ;) 

No I think he was highlighting the 5-0 defeat they suffered last night at the hands of Derby,  in an ironic sense I believe.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I expect this theme to continue as it always does:

"But we are only 10 points off with 35 games to go"

"I know the last few games have been tough but we grind out a few results and we are right back in the mix"

"We've still got half the season to make up 18 points, he had Birmingham 20th in Christmas and they got promoted"

"I know it looks impossible, but we have proven we can go on runs, we can win 10 games and we will be in the playoff spots #UTV"

"No way the top 6 will keep up that pace, they are bound to drop points, stop being over dramatic"

"It would be madness to sack a manager in the final 3rd of the season, we havejust started seeing signs of a unit, We fought back to 4-2, last year we wouldn't have scored at all, great spirit from the lads"

"Oh well, let's be honest, the league is tougher than it has ever been, XIA didn't really back him going by his comments, Fraud, biggest my foot, Bruce can't be totally blamed for not having the team he wanted, he is trying his best"

"Give him another preseason, and the couple players we need to complete the jigsaw, and next year we walk the league, he has done this several times before"

What precedent is there for this? You say 'as it always does' but what does that mean? Are these genuine quotes or just paraphrasing? We have only played 5 games, so I don't think it is unreasonable to say that things can and are likely to change.