• John Terry
    • Nigel Pearson
    • Neil Warnock
    • Aitor Karanka
    • Claude Puel
    • Carlos Carvalhal
    • Other (please state)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/09/17 at 06:08

10 minutes ago, rubberman said:

This.  My worry is that we will limp along, getting enough results to keep Steve in the job, but not enough to properly mount a top 2 challenge.  eg from September we'll get 10-12 points, leaving us on 15-17 from 11 and maybe around the top 8?  Not going to be enough.

Tough October too  with blues and wolves away and Fulham at home .

3 hours ago, Eastie said:

Agreed it was a big ask but it was achievable and credit to him that we were in 7th place on Dec 28th - there is no excuse for finishing 13th from there . 

well he lost his 2 best players arguably and then spent January trying to get players in......I thought we was running out of steam coming in to Jan and that month was spent trying to get reinforcements.

but hey ho.....its history now.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TRO said:

well he lost his 2 best players arguably and then spent January trying to get players in......I thought we was running out of steam coming in to Jan and that month was spent trying to get reinforcements.

He was well aware kodija was going but signed a striker on Jan 31st - also took a risk on Johnstone when he didn't need to so can accept some blame for January .

3 hours ago, vreitti said:

For once I totally agree. We was in deep shit at the time. I still think RDM could have turned it around, but Bruce came in and did just that, initially. Problem is he hasn't been able to continue in the same vein. We have gradually slid back to nothingness, with no real progress made 8 months after. 

I do remember us starting last season with a clear expectation & sole goal of promotion. This was of course at the start of the season, not necessarily after the dismissal of RDM. 

It's true we are only 5 games in, and if we didn't already have 40+ games under Bruce, I'd also be asking for more time. But given what we KNOW for a FACT, it's time for a change, IMHO. Bruce will not change approach. Anyone thinking otherwise are merely hoping. There isn't any evidence to support such a notion, unfortunately.

The September fixtures look easy to me, given the squad at disposal. I still foresee mixed results, but probably enough points that will see Bruce surviving the month. By the end of November we will be way of promotion form, and then it will be too late to make the change. 

My only hope is that the good Dr. has already made a tentative approach for someone, and that Bruce will now be judged on a game to game basis.

• I don't think RDM had enough time.....but the results left the decision makers little option due to the expectations and commitments of the club.
  • I guess we are talking about Steve Bruce, so the expectations for promotion for him was not there..........transition was the theme during last season to many folk.
  • I think you have a reasonable point when you say that it is unlikely that Bruce will change his approach.....but he is still in the process of introducing new players i.e Snodgrass and the kids, still has his best 2 out recovering from injury........Terry & Whelan  5 games in.......I have still not ruled out this team clicking, despite Steve Bruce.........There is no evidence to support this notion, not sure how there can be.

I just want us to win games irrespective of who the manager is.

34 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Always seems to be an excuse before Bruce can turn things around. First it was the unbalanced squad left by RDM. Then it was the opportunity to get his own players in. Then it was these players needed time to settle. Then it was he needed a full pre season. Then it was time for the new players to gel. Then it was after September etc etc etc always seems to be an excuse and all he needs...... after almost a year I see a pattern forming. 

haha....I guess it depends how many posts you want to include.....I suspect when we are debating an exhaustive list is rarely submitted on both sides of the argument......so I guess excuses or reasons as i call them will naturally roll and the intensity of the debate gathers ground.

However,such was the size of the task ,all those things had a feasible shout.

just remember my position.....I have never said that we are playing football that I feel a need for me to defend.....I have only defended the time the manager has to put it right.....let me make that clear....and i have defended against the accusations that have challenged that stance.

We have signed rakes of players in an effort for him to address the shortcomings, once a reasonable amount of time is given for the team to click....i will be the first to say, it isn't going to work, take the necessary action.

How long  is that? I have no idea, but if we start winning I guess i will have my answer......if we keep on stuttering I will also have my answer.......but I guess every fan uses his/her own yardstick to come to their conclusions.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Eastie said:

He was well aware kodija was going but signed a striker on Jan 31st - also took a risk on Johnstone when he didn't need to so can accept some blame for January .

• well was/is Kodjia that easy to replace...is that a reasonable call?
  • I don't know the logistics behind the Hogan deal, but are these things that simple, do we click our fingers for 20 goal a season strikers?
  • Football is a risk full stop, but yes he obviously has to take responsibility for it all..... its just a question of whether as a fan you feel a need to search for reason for things or just nonchalantly ignore mitigation, look at the facts and sit in judgment.....I am not saying who is right and who is wrong.....its just how folk are.

Despite the fact I would much rather gain promotion than to preside over defending Steve Bruce......I have no confidence the next guy will do much better.

4 hours ago, striker said:

Yeah mate more than fair reply but I can't feel grateful to him because Villa finished 13th with the players and funding available to him last season.

No matter what we all think Tro Xia looks to be giving him until the end of September which will be in and around the cut off point for me.

Bruce has imo the best squad in the Championship by far so if Villa don't start racking up the points over the next month then Bruce can have no complaints.

I think you are right, i think Dr T will give him until end of september.

We may have the best squad on paper......but have we the best team ( 11)?......I wouldn't like to call that one.

I don't see this team as a blended unit.....If thats down to Steve Bruce, then so be it......but it ain't a unit yet.

2 hours ago, TRO said:

Whilst trying to get a tune out of you know who - which in my opinion was totally inexcusable tbh with you- he knew the deal when he took over so why wait until January was done before recruiting a striker? Yes we know now that Hogan has clearly not hit the ground running - but I think most of us were expecting much more from him when he signed. Bruce would have expected more regardless of him signing at the start or end of January 

I'm afraid January lies 4 square at his door.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TRO said:

haha....I guess it depends how many posts you want to include.....I suspect when we are debating an exhaustive list is rarely submitted on both sides of the argument......so I guess excuses or reasons as i call them will naturally roll and the intensity of the debate gathers ground.

just remember my position.....I have never said that we are playing football that I feel a need for me to defend.....I have only defended the time the manager has to put it right.....let me make that clear....and i have defended against the accusations that have challenged that stance.

We have signed rakes of players in an effort for him to address the shortcomings, once a reasonable amount of time is given for the team to click....i will be the first to say, it isn't going to work, take the necessary action.

How long  is that? I have no idea, but if we start winning I guess i will have my answer......if we keep on stuttering I will also have my answer.......but I guess every fan uses his/her own yardstick to come to their conclusions.

When you compare the time he has had to Warnock it's almost identical, Cardiff were below us when he took over, they finished above us so then you look at what and how each manager has spent, Bruce has signed 13 players is it, I don't know how many Warnock has signed but wonder if it's a lot less. Warnock has got his team to gel, play to a system and crucially get results, Bruce has not achieved any of those consistently.

Warnock as a Villa manager would have spent less and achieved more I would venture and for that reason alone should be removed, by the end of the month it might just be a mute point.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mykeyb said:

When you compare the time he has had to Warnock it's almost identical, Cardiff were below us when he took over, they finished above us so then you look at what and how each manager has spent, Bruce has signed 13 players is it, I don't know how many Warnock has signed but wonder if it's a lot less. Warnock has got his team to gel, play to a system and crucially get results, Bruce has not achieved any of those consistently.

Warnock as a Villa manager would have spent less and achieved more I would venture and for that reason alone should be removed, by the end of the month it might just be a mute point.

He's a funny one.....very underrated imo.....but he has his detractors....and his name was put forward by one or two VT posters some moons ago.

both him and Bruce have very similar win ratio's over their careers....Bruce 800+ and Warnock 1300+

I have to say Warnock has had a good start with Cardiff whether their high physical intensity can be sustained is the key.....but i have a sneaky admiration for him, but not a pochetino.

I think warnock plays a certain way that is easy to acheive at clubs with modest expectation....with us i think he would be challenged.

I do agree with you i think Neil has got his organisation together quicker than Steve.

i am not sure what to glean from that.....have to wait until season end to conclude.

Edited by TRO

5 hours ago, thabucks said:

Always seems to be an excuse before Bruce can turn things around. First it was the unbalanced squad left by RDM. Then it was the opportunity to get his own players in. Then it was these players needed time to settle. Then it was he needed a full pre season. Then it was time for the new players to gel. Then it was after September etc etc etc always seems to be an excuse and all he needs...... after almost a year I see a pattern forming. 

Bruce's excuse book is long and has many pages.

I'm sure he will think of something before the Brentford match.

1 hour ago, AshVilla said:

Bruce's excuse book is long and has many pages.

I'm sure he will think of something before the Brentford match.

nearly as many pages as ex villa managers.

3 hours ago, TRO said:

Michael O'Neill.....is he any good should it go tits up in sept?

His CV is quite impressive. He got Northern Ireland to the Euros. No idea what his managing style is like.

Could be a good shout.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AJ said:

His CV is quite impressive. He got Northern Ireland to the Euros. No idea what his managing style is like.

Could be a good shout.

And doing a bloody good job of trying to get them to the World Cup too. In which case, he surely wouldn't leave.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, TRO said:

nearly as many pages as ex villa managers.

This is what happens when you employ one incompetent person after another in advisory positions at the club I firmly believe the clubs recruitment policy in regards to managers is that if you throw shit at a wall eventually it will stick

18 hours ago, TRO said:

wait, dd you just write an excuse for the string of rotating excuses?   :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1