• John Terry
    • Nigel Pearson
    • Neil Warnock
    • Aitor Karanka
    • Claude Puel
    • Carlos Carvalhal
    • Other (please state)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/09/17 at 06:08

13 hours ago, AJ said:

His CV is quite impressive. He got Northern Ireland to the Euros. No idea what his managing style is like.

Could be a good shout.

Difficult to judge as it's a completely different job, but he seems to have an ability to organise, motivate and get the best out of resources.  I've only listened to one interview in depth (Big Interview podcast with Graham Hunter), and he was very impressive on there. 

I'd be amazed if he left before the WC (if he gets them there), but if did become available I'd be all for giving him a shot - a risk for sure, but I think that's true of anyone.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, TRO said:

He's a funny one.....very underrated imo.....but he has his detractors....and his name was put forward by one or two VT posters some moons ago.

both him and Bruce have very similar win ratio's over their careers....Bruce 800+ and Warnock 1300+

I have to say Warnock has had a good start with Cardiff whether their high physical intensity can be sustained is the key.....but i have a sneaky admiration for him, but not a pochetino.

I think warnock plays a certain way that is easy to acheive at clubs with modest expectation....with us i think he would be challenged.

I do agree with you i think Neil has got his organisation together quicker than Steve.

i am not sure what to glean from that.....have to wait until season end to conclude.

Is it possible that Bruce has been to well backed financially and has brought in too many players?

At any other club would the manager been allowed to bring in 2 players for the same position when he already had a player there capable of playing that position well enough to warrant only cover was needed.

Selling Baker to bring in Terry when the defence wasn't the issue last season.

We must have the biggest squad in the division with too many options and he cannot resist changing for change same, he last match is the evidence for that.

3 hours ago, mykeyb said:

Is it possible that Bruce has been to well backed financially and has brought in too many players?

At any other club would the manager been allowed to bring in 2 players for the same position when he already had a player there capable of playing that position well enough to warrant only cover was needed.

Selling Baker to bring in Terry when the defence wasn't the issue last season.

We must have the biggest squad in the division with too many options and he cannot resist changing for change same, he last match is the evidence for that.

Sadly, I think these kind of comments have been aired umpteen times.

• rarely have fans complained of too many signings, seems there's no pleasing us
  • I would be surprised if only one member of the management is responsible for signing players.
  • I think the defence did have an issue, just that so many players were deployed to it...it looked like we hadn't got an issue.
  • Its difficult in football to have too many options.....you just have to choose the right ones.
  • i remember a certain manager of ours who was chastised for not making changes, now we have one who makes too many

We need to listen to ourselves don't we?......no pleasing;)

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, TRO said:

• rarely have fans complained of too many signings, seems there's no pleasing us
  • I would be surprised if only one member of the management is responsible for signing players.
  • I think the defence did have an issue, just that so many players were deployed to it...it looked like we hadn't got an issue.
  • Its difficult in football to have too many options.....you just have to choose the right ones.
  • i remember a certain manager of ours who was chastised for not making changes, now we have one who makes too many

I don't really think any of that is valid, for a change, TRO.

No one's complaining about too many signings. There was a question as to whether Tony Xia allowed Bruce too many signings. (or should have been stricter).

The manager has the final say. Sure others help with scouting, negotiating etc. etc. but it's the manager's responsibility to go for a new right winger, or whoever.

Defensively we were solid  - goals conceded was low.

Too many options - bad thing. A squad of around 22-25 is plenty - enough for a world cup or for a league squad.

Not changing players who are knackered and clearly in need of a rest and disking about not knowing your best team or formation are both bad.

Some of the criticism of Bruce (and I'm no cheerleader for him) is OTT,  but  sometimes the counter also seems a bit ...y'know.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, TRO said:

Well do you think that we needed to sign Elmo to replace Adomah and then sign Snodgrass?

Sign Samba and Terry to replace Baker and Elphick.

13 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Well do you think that we needed to sign Elmo to replace Adomah and then sign Snodgrass?

I think having just Adomah, to play right side mid was not enough. When injured in preseason we didn't really have anyone to take up that role. With Elmo and Adomah we're ok there, and we've loaned Snodgrass who can also play elsewhere. The best player plays, and we're covered for injuries in this long season in this physical league. 

I would've liked Baker to stay, but presumably he wanted first team football, it was more guaranteed there than here.

No point going round in circles though.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, blandy said:

I don't really think any of that is valid, for a change, TRO.

No one's complaining about too many signings. There was a question as to whether Tony Xia allowed Bruce too many signings. (or should have been stricter).

The manager has the final say. Sure others help with scouting, negotiating etc. etc. but it's the manager's responsibility to go for a new right winger, or whoever.

Defensively we were solid  - goals conceded was low.

Too many options - bad thing. A squad of around 22-25 is plenty - enough for a world cup or for a league squad.

Not changing players who are knackered and clearly in need of a rest and disking about not knowing your best team or formation are both bad.

Some of the criticism of Bruce (and I'm no cheerleader for him) is OTT,  but  sometimes the counter also seems a bit ...y'know.

Its great this business of opinions.

pete.....let me just pick out one and refrain for boring everyone.

we defended in numbers last season for a reason.....the reason was the players who were designated to cope with the job ,failed in terms of dealing with it without support.

yes we kept the goals against down, because we deployed so many to the task....the rest of the team suffered.

thats the reason the manager attempted to get better quality per player in.

sorry, i fed up of defending him now.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Elmo is a different character to Adomah, horses for courses.

Is Samba and Terry better......more effective for me.

I have mixed feelings about Baker, i kinda had liked him in a way, but he was a bit reckless at times and lost his sense of positioning too easily, he had presence and i liked that, but he had poor distribution, which was detrimental to our ability to attack.

He was like many players at this level good at some things poor at others.

if we want to improve as a team, we need to eliminate the flaws in our players and that is one way to create a blend.

we cannot have a situation where our players spend most of their time covering for each other.

in our good times our players got on with the job, reason being they could all cope with their tasks without help in one on ones.

On 9/5/2017 at 03:04, AJ said:

His CV is quite impressive. He got Northern Ireland to the Euros. No idea what his managing style is like.

Could be a good shout.

he also brought first Irish team to group stage of Europa League as well

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

he also brought first Irish team to group stage of Europa League as well

Wow. The more I hear about this guy, the more impressive he seems. But, as @mrjc mentioned, unlikely to come here, as he is too committed to the national team.

Sounds like he has a big future in front of him though.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

He seems a well thought of guy.......but our manager is too.....so i don't know where that leaves us.

who thinks our manager is well thought of? Sunderland fans, Palace fans, Guardian journalists,

maybe United fans and Dave Whelan 

12 minutes ago, Zatman said:

who thinks our manager is well thought of? Sunderland fans, Palace fans, Guardian journalists,

maybe United fans and Dave Whelan 

Well its interesting.

just been over the pub and entered a discussion with 2 villa fans and 2 blues fans.....despite the jokes it was very orderly and sensible.

The appraisal of Steve Bruce was raised.

it was notable that from both camps Steve Bruce was in no way ridiculed.

It was not influenced by me, but it was interesting to hear how they all felt he still has much work to do from the players he has signed.

just saying.

On 9/5/2017 at 09:01, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Speaking of Oneill, that last interview with our very own Martin Oneill with BBC was hilarious. He was well pissed off, but to be fair the interviewer was a bit annoying lol.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/41149263

He is a contrite little s%^t of a man isn't he.

On 9/5/2017 at 14:01, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Speaking of Oneill, that last interview with our very own Martin Oneill with BBC was hilarious. He was well pissed off, but to be fair the interviewer was a bit annoying lol.

Martin always did find pointed questioning irritating.....Martin never felt comfortable being questioned.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2017 at 14:01, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Its interesting how interviewers want to delve in to the nuts and bolts and managers want to be discreet to partly defend/protect the players.

it seems funny to me how so many folk think football is always about design or instruction.....when in fact players just play below par.

sometimes whether club or international football, we have to accept that our teams on the day/night miss opportunities and play badly.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, TRO said:

Its interesting how interviewers want to delve in to the nuts and bolts and managers want to be discreet to partly defend/protect the players.

it seems funny to me how so many folk think football is always about design or instruction.....when in fact players just play below par.

sometimes whether club or international football, we have to accept that our teams on the day/night miss opportunities and play badly.

Ireland like Villa have been shit for more than one performance. No surprise both have stubborn dinosaurs in charge

• Like 1

On 05/09/2017 at 03:04, AJ said:

Could be a good shout.

He would be a good shout, but I doubt if he would leave at this stage.

I am convinced he will get a move to an English club, just not yet.