Josh Onomah

skarroki

12 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm not seeing this 'O'Hare is a better player ' stuff. Has he even played 90 minutes of senior football yet?

O'Hare and Onomah are 2 players that offer much different things......very different attributes.

12 hours ago, striker said:

Spoke to a Spurs fan about Onomah who didn't rate him at all.

Can't pass, can't tackle, isn't an attacking or defensive midfielder and doesn't score many goals. Spurs fan's words, not mine.

For the most part we're seeing that apraisal in a Villa shirt so it's time Bruce benches him and plays one of O'Hare, Lansbury or Grealish who imo are better players.

You would get c30,000 different opinions if you asked villa fans about one of ours.:)

Edited by TRO

I just don't think he is an attacking mid. When he played CM early in the season he did pretty well. He is good at dribbling and was showing for the ball well at CM. I wouldn't mind pushing Hourihane to his natural attacking mid spot, and having Onomah as the box to box guy. 

• Like 1

When back to full fitness I rather have Grealish (or Snodgrass when Green comes back) as ACM and have Onomah compete for one of the CM spots instead.

As mentioned before I don't quite think he has the attributes to shine in ACM (yet?) He's doing an OK job but I think we'd be even better if we reshuffled the midfield a bit.

8 minutes ago, sne said:

When back to full fitness I rather have Grealish (or Snodgrass when Green comes back) as ACM and have Onomah compete for one of the CM spots instead.

As mentioned before I don't quite think he has the attributes to shine in ACM (yet?) He's doing an OK job but I think we'd be even better if we reshuffled the midfield a bit.

He's a young lad learning his trade. All young players have good and bad patches it's the way it goes. If you were to have Grealish in his place you would lose a lot of energy and closing down that Onomah brings which would allow the opposition to build attacks at their leisure. So whilst it might not necessarily be a bad thing it would change the shapes of games.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, meregreen said:

We shouldn’t be neglecting the development of our own kids in order to help Spurs develope one of theirs.

We should if they're good enough to make it into the first team on merit

2 hours ago, Stockport_Villain said:

He's a young lad learning his trade. All young players have good and bad patches it's the way it goes. If you were to have Grealish in his place you would lose a lot of energy and closing down that Onomah brings which would allow the opposition to build attacks at their leisure. So whilst it might not necessarily be a bad thing it would change the shapes of games.

Possibly, but having Grealish or Snodgrass in that spot would likely allow us to retain possession a bit more higher up in the pitch and we could still have Onomah's energy on the pitch but a bit further down the field. This would hopefully also make us less reliant on a 19 y.o target  man playing his first season.

As for him learning his trade that is of course true, but he's doing it for Spurs sake, and from what I remembered Pochettino wanted him to toughen up and play in DCM when he came here as he was a bit weak to do it in the PL yet.

Edit: Also might want to see him and Hourihane swap positions if we are to continue with the same players as we currently are. Thou I maintain we'll need to rotate now that players are getting tired and others coming back from injury.

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

He's been caviar and cabbage for his whole time here.

He's either excellent or dog shit. Friday was the latter.

couldn't have put it better.....when he's on, he is really on......when he's off like Friday, its head in hands time.

4 hours ago, Stockport_Villain said:

I don't disagree.......... but with Gray,Little, Deehan & Shaw  at an even younger age ...that was never mentioned.

Trevor Francis at 16 tearing it up.

Different times perhaps, but everything is relative.

some fans would say, they are either good enough or they are not.....harsh game this football.

He needs to come out fighting and take the view that these opposition players are trying to take my future away from me.....He has the talent, needs the application in every game.

On 04/12/2017 at 13:03, Stevo985 said:

We should if they're good enough to make it into the first team on merit

How are we going to developer our youngsters if we are developing other clubs youngsters, especially as Onomah is not, in my opinion, good enough for the first team.

1 hour ago, AntrimBlack said:

How are we going to developer our youngsters if we are developing other clubs youngsters, especially as Onomah is not, in my opinion, good enough for the first team.

If our youngsters are good enough then they'll get in the team.

By your logic we should never bother loaning players. Why are we playing Johnstone when we could be developing Sarkic? Why are we playing Snodgrass when we could be developing O'Hare?

We loan players to try and improve the first team. If they're good enough to do that then they play. Onomah has his bad games, but in general this season he's been one of our better midfielders.

I would agree with you IF we were purely playing Onomah to develop him. That would make no sense. But we're not. He has improved us, albeit inconsistently.

• Like 2

Â