Josh Onomah

skarroki

3 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

Who in their right mind plays a young player out of position?

not uncommon. Martin O'Neill played Gardner, Gabby and Luke Moore out of position when he came in. Houllier done it with Clark and Lambert with Weimann

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

not uncommon. Martin O'Neill played Gardner, Gabby and Luke Moore out of position when he came in. Houllier done it with Clark and Lambert with Weimann

How did that go then?

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I can't imagine spurs will be too thrilled

Not really the best way to develop a cm, play him as a lone striker. 

16 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

Who in their right mind plays a young player out of position?

My Spurs supporting work colleague tells me he's always been played out wide when he's made appearances for Spurs.

4 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

So what is his „position“ then?

He says he's a deep lying midfielder. 

My point was Bruce isn't the only one that plays him out of position. Seems Pochettino does too.

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

My point was Bruce isn't the only one that plays him out of position. Seems Pochettino does too.

I appreciate your point.

Poch has decided that he‘s not needed (atm) and that we could develop him a little. (or whatever you call it).

We‘ve seen with Thor, Bruce has played him LB LW CM AM -ish, that a player can be abused out of position.

If I remember correctly you described Thor as „utter shit“.

If it doesnt help an already seasoned player to play him here, there and everywhere, it will take an exceptional young player a lot more to adapt.

Onomah has been decribed as Motm in some games, „the worst player on the pitch“ in others. He‘s probably been everything inbetween too.

That suggests to me that either in a certain position, constellation or style Onomah can be a good player.

Finding that out is the managers job

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Martin O'Neill played them many of them, all over the place.

4 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

I appreciate your point.

Poch has decided that he‘s not needed (atm) and that we could develop him a little. (or whatever you call it).

We‘ve seen with Thor, Bruce has played him LB LW CM AM -ish, that a player can be abused out of position.

If I remember correctly you described Thor as „utter shit“.

If it doesnt help an already seasoned player to play him here, there and everywhere, it will take an exceptional young player a lot more to adapt.

Onomah has been decribed as Motm in some games, „the worst player on the pitch“ in others. He‘s probably been everything inbetween too.

That suggests to me that either in a certain position, constellation or style Onomah can be a good player.

Finding that out is the managers job

If you play in a position and excel.......Chances are you will stay there.

you tend to buy your own passage.

Edited by TRO

5 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

The one you excel in.

its just that some managers give you a chance or benefit of the doubt.

Edited by TRO

8 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

Any position apart from a CM where one lapse of concentration opens you up.

The guy doesn't like to tackle, he doesn't look back when teams break, he doesn't like to be tackled, he doesn't like contact or any sort, he doesn't make life hard or close people down unless screamed to do so and everytime we don't have the ball Bruce has to remind him  to stop him daydreaming. I would be more than happy to have him on the bench or fighting for a spot but it is clear Spurs want him playing games and we are tied in that aspect so get rid, the kid hasn't got what it takes. 

57 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Any position apart from a CM where one lapse of concentration opens you up.

The guy doesn't like to tackle, he doesn't look back when teams break, he doesn't like to be tackled, he doesn't like contact or any sort, he doesn't make life hard or close people down unless screamed to do so and everytime we don't have the ball Bruce has to remind him  to stop him daydreaming. I would be more than happy to have him on the bench or fighting for a spot but it is clear Spurs want him playing games and we are tied in that aspect so get rid, the kid hasn't got what it takes. 

Must've been watching his twin against QPR, Colchester, Sunderland, Preston, Bristol, Norwich then. 

20 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I've seen this mentioned a few times, and whilst this might be the case, for the life of me I do not see how on earth this lad could ever make it in that position. When I think of Onomah's attributes the last attributes that come to mind are passing, tackling and positioning, he's atrocious at the last two and only very average at passing. 

No surprise to me he has been played out wide for Spurs because what he does have is pace and can dribble with the ball well. 

Â