Josh Onomah

skarroki

I'm confused by the posts on here.  Davis aside he is the best young player I've seen at Villa Park for a while  He has been a little inconsistent but generally I think he has done well.  He has been no more inconsistent than any other Villa player in my opinion.  Is he getting so much stick because he is not our player?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I'm confused by the posts on here.  Davis aside he is the best young player I've seen at Villa Park for a while  He has been a little inconsistent but generally I think he has done well.  He has been no more inconsistent than any other Villa player in my opinion.  Is he getting so much stick because he is not our player?

Agreed. I suspect our renewed level of expectation is the reason. I know I've certainly done the same with Grealish these last few years.

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah I would agree with that. I also find him to be really inconsistent. One week he will run the show the next he will disappear. I think he could do well at a midtable premier league club. But demebele? No chance

Come on, he is 20 years old. Which 20-year old performs consistantly? Is was the same with for example Bale and Ronaldo at that age.  

9 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Come on, he is 20 years old. Which 20-year old performs consistantly? Is was the same with for example Bale and Ronaldo at that age.  

Then why play him and develop him for Spurs, instead of giving our own players time on the pitch. Im sure O'hare would give us exactly the same as I have seen from Onomah

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Are you? I'm not. 

Give hime the same gametime as Onomah has got so far - I think so, but let me re-phrase that. With what I have seen from Onomah, I wouldnt play him and and let it stop the development from our own players like Grealish, O'hare and Lansbury Play our own players first. i havent understood why we loaned Onomah in the first place. 

9 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Are you? I'm not. 

Agreed.

Onomah has been one of our best players.

Yes he is inconsistent, and the days he isn't on it he does seem particularly poor.
But when he performs he's really good.

O'Hare seems to be living off a couple of flashes of potential.

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Agreed.

Onomah has been one of our best players.

Yes he is inconsistent, and the days he isn't on it he does seem particularly poor.
But when he performs he's really good.

O'Hare seems to be living off a couple of flashes of potential.

In my opinion he has been far from one of our best players and, with the things he has been saying, I would play some of our own players.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Taxahunter said:

In my opinion he has been far from one of our best players and, with the things he has been saying, I would play some of our own players.

That's very noble of you.

Personally, I want to get promoted. And that means playing our best players, of which Onomah is one.

36 minutes ago, Taxahunter said:

Then why play him and develop him for Spurs, instead of giving our own players time on the pitch. Im sure O'hare would give us exactly the same as I have seen from Onomah

Based on what? 45 minute v Sheff Wed and a few friendlies? Onomah has been a key player for us this season. I think you may be being a bit harsh on him because he is not our player. 

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Based on what? 45 minute v Sheff Wed and a few friendlies? Onomah has been a key player for us this season. I think you may be being a bit harsh on him because he is not our player. 

Like I said above, give him the same slack and gametime as Onomah, then it would be easier to judge, but In my view Onomah hasnt been a stand out player. I cant remember a game where I have thought "Wauw what a player" 

1 minute ago, Taxahunter said:

Like I said above, give him the same slack and gametime as Onomah, then it would be easier to judge, but In my view Onomah hasnt been a stand out player. I cant remember a game where I have thought "Wauw what a player" 

Have you watched O'Hare play a lot? Or are you guessing?

I don't think I've thought "Wow what a player" when watching Onomah. But I've definitely thought "This kid is having a really good game" on numerous occasions.

Which was the game where a defender played a loose pass back infield, Onomah busted a nut to get to the ball before a defender, rode a challenge, dragged the rest of the defence out of position, then laid a perfectly-weighted pass across the penalty area for Snodgrass to score?

I'll be honest, I don't think O'Hare could do that. 

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Have you watched O'Hare play a lot? Or are you guessing?

I don't think I've thought "Wow what a player" when watching Onomah. But I've definitely thought "This kid is having a really good game" on numerous occasions.

Havent been watching him a lot, but i have thought on the occasions, when i have seen him play that he definely has something and in the end it would just be guessing. We still have both Grealish and Lansbury we could play in that position, so I still dont agree that Onomah is that special from what i have seen and that he is the difference between us being promoted or not.

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Which was the game where a defender played a loose pass back infield, Onomah busted a nut to get to the ball before a defender, rode a challenge, dragged the rest of the defence out of position, then laid a perfectly-weighted pass across the penalty area for Snodgrass to score?

I'll be honest, I don't think O'Hare could do that. 

I was against against a very bad Preston side.

Sheffield Wednesday...

Edited by Taxahunter

15 minutes ago, Taxahunter said:

Havent been watching him a lot, but i have thought on the occasions, when i have seen him play that he definely has something and in the end it would just be guessing. We still have both Grealish and Lansbury we could play in that position, so I still dont agree that Onomah is that special from what i have seen and that he is the difference between us being promoted or not.

Well Grealish probably will challenge for that position, but he's obviously been out injured a lot so he hasn't been an option.

Lansbury just hasn't been that good. Onomah certainly seems to be better going forward than Lansbury, but I don't think they play the same position anyway

I see what Taxahunter is saying in terms of it would be better for us to develop our own youngsters...

...however, I don't think we've got anyone who is pushing first team at the moment who is close to Onomah in terms of ability that could operate in the same role?  O'Hare seems to be more attacking but Onomah is surprisingly physical IMO and offers more in the middle of the park.

(As a further aside, I really don't understand this need to rush youngsters into the side!)

10 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

At this level i dont think he should be as inconsistent as he has been. Spurs have some world class players he may get to that level but i am not so sure he will make it there but definitely can see him plating in the premier league

5 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Sorry... Why are Preston 'very bad'?

I dont say they are bad, but they definetly were when we played them. Their defence was out injured or were substituted half time. 

Â