Life After Death?

Designer1

1 hour ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Doesn't the continued popularity of the classic film A Matter of Life and Death demonstrate that even though most people don't believe in an afterlife, that the yearning still persist in the form of an unconscious wish fulfillment?

It demonstrates that it's a great film. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Or invalid

Exactly. The way you do this is to put both beliefs to the test and see which one holds up. 

Do you think your belief in an afterlife passes any meaningful examination ?

Is it based upon evidence or is it based upon a need to believe ?

22 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

Exactly. The way you do this is to put both beliefs to the test and see which one holds up. 

Do you think your belief in an afterlife passes any meaningful examination ?

Is it based upon evidence or is it based upon a need to believe ?

Ive never said evidence. If you look at my posts i have aleays maintained no of us really know. We are speculating with what we believe in

God would probably come down and show evidence of what happened and yet people wokld prpbably still question it. If i saw the factual evidence to prove its a made up story then that would be of interest to me. The reality is none of us know for certain.

I personally feel better about myself believing ill eee my lovrd ones again in hopefully another world/life/realm whatever you want to label it! Id much prefer that then just not believing in anything..

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

God would probably come down and show evidence of what happened and yet people wokld prpbably still question it. 

Good!

10 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Ive never said evidence. If you look at my posts i have aleays maintained no of us really know. We are speculating with what we believe in

God would probably come down and show evidence of what happened and yet people wokld prpbably still question it. If i saw the factual evidence to prove its a made up story then that would be of interest to me. The reality is none of us know for certain.

I personally feel better about myself believing ill eee my lovrd ones again in hopefully another world/life/realm whatever you want to label it! Id much prefer that then just not believing in anything..

The thought of an afterlife is pretty normal thinking for a lot of us mate. Whatever my reasons for believing I'm glad I do believe in it.

• Like 1

I really want to believe, as the concept of just 'nothingness' either pre or post life absolutely terrifies me beyond the capacity for rational thought. (Ghostbusters quote in afterlife thread fnar fnar).

But I don't believe in it as when you stop and think about it its just all silly. No more real than the easter bunny. 

I wish I had faith or spiritualism as the world would be a bit easier to get by in but I'm a cold, heartless cynic without the burden of proof. 

The good news is we will all find out in the end. Just hope the afterlife has on off topic lounge so we can all discuss it again.

Edited by Ingram85

7 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

I really want to believe, as the concept of just 'nothingness' either pre or post life absolutely terrifies me beyond the capacity for rational thought. (Ghostbusters quote in afterlife thread fnar fnar).

But I don't believe in it as when you stop and think about it its just all silly. No more real than the easter bunny. 

I wish I had faith or spiritualism as the world would be a bit easier to get by in but I'm a cold, heartless cynic without the burden of proof. 

The good news is we will all find out in the end. Just hope the afterlife has on off topic lounge so we can all discuss it again.

Nah... if there is a heaven an hell then non of us lot will be in off topic we will be off to the hell of the main board for eternity...... shudder

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ingram85 said:

I really want to believe, as the concept of just 'nothingness' either pre or post life absolutely terrifies me beyond the capacity for rational thought. 

But why should it terrify you? You won't actually be experiencing anything (bad or otherwise). Nothingness isn't heaven, but it certainly isn't hell. 

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Nothingness isn't heaven

I beg to differ - I have proof. The scripture of a Mr D. Byrne says

Heaven is a place, a place where nothing, nothing ever happens
There is a party, everyone is there, everyone will leave at exactly the same time
It's hard to imagine that nothing at all could be so exciting could be this much fun

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

But why should it terrify you? You won't actually be experiencing anything (bad or otherwise). Nothingness isn't heaven, but it certainly isn't hell. 

Wby would not want a afterlife? If you could be reunited with your loved ones wouldn't we all want that?

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Wby would not want a afterlife? If you could be reunited with your loved ones wouldn't we all want that?

Hes not saying he doesnt want an afterlife, just saying you shouldnt be terrified of nothing, as you wont even know about it.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Not particularly no . If everyone reunited with their loved ones there would be a colossal chain of reunions all the way back thorough the tree of life.

45 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

Not particularly no . If everyone reunited with their loved ones there would be a colossal chain of reunions all the way back thorough the tree of life.

What happens if you meet up with your loved ones but then they do something horrible to you? Do you have to stay with them for eternity then? Or do you have to commit suicide and die for a second time and hope they didn't turn up in your second afterlife? 

The whole idea of an afterlife is ridiculous.

Edited by PieFacE

Â