Life After Death?

Designer1

14 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Revelations was, iirc, written a very long time after the rest by someone who is strongly believed to have had mental problems, hence why it's so completely different to the rest 

If you’re going to quote from the Book of Revelation
Don’t keep calling it the Book of Revelations
There’s no “s”, it’s the Book of Revelation
As revealed to St John the Divine
See also Mary Hopkin
She must despair

[\]Half Man Half Biscuit]

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Brumerican said:

Anonymous authors, countless translations and editing , more translations, more editing etc etc.

Of course they are made up .

Not entirely. There's quite a lot of history in there. But not in the modern sense, of researched, peer-reviewed, data-led history. Things happened, and people passed on the stories about it, verbally. By the time it got written down it was a long way from what happened. The add in a few translations...

That doesn't make it 'made up', in the sense of fiction, or deliberate deception. There are also a lot of folk tales and legends in there, some songs and poems, and a fair bit of tribal politics. It's a fascinating anthology. But this really for the religion thread. This one is specifically about life after death. 

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

Given the lengths of time it was written over, by numerous 'authors', the amount it has been amended, edited, had sections deleted, been translated across various languages in the time since it was first written, the extent to which some of it is genuinely nuts (Revelations was, iirc, written a very long time after the rest by someone who is strongly believed to have had mental problems, hence why it's so completely different to the rest), the fact numerous bits of it are easily drawn back to the mythologies of cultures that existed before it in the same areas of the world it derives from, and the fact much is demonstrably false... I'd probably go with it being made up. 

I get your point about over time passages maybe changing or being amended over time. But i would like to believe that the major parts are what actually happened.

Some say its a "kids story" then how did we get here? Big bang, evolution ? Are yhese theories kids stories as well? Just because its "greater power" to human life?

9 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Not entirely. There's quite a lot of history in there. But not in the modern sense, of researched, peer-reviewed, data-led history. Things happened, and people passed on the stories about it, verbally. By the time it got written down it was a long way from what happened. The add in a few translations...

That doesn't make it 'made up', in the sense of fiction, or deliberate deception. There are also a lot of folk tales and legends in there, some songs and poems, and a fair bit of tribal politics. It's a fascinating anthology. But this really for the religion thread. This one is specifically about life after death. 

I didn't think I need to pinpoint which parts were made up (The stuff that defies the laws of phsyics mostly) but yes there is some interesting historical info thrown in there too. 

I'm a big fan  Dr Richard Carrier  (Doctorate in ancient history)  and I'd recommend that anyone with an interest in the historical aspects of the bible to have a look at his videos on youtube. 

Those who vehemently claim that they don't believe in things numinous, always seem like the people who declare their rational belief in the soundness of the Grand Canyon Skywalk construction, but then when they get out there they really act like they don't.

7 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Those who vehemently claim that they don't believe in things numinous, always seem like the people who declare their rational belief in the soundness of the Grand Canyon Skywalk construction, but then when they get out there they really act like they don't.

That's because the automatic part of the brain takes the reins.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Erica Jong - "There are no atheists on turbulent aeroplanes"

24 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I get your point about over time passages maybe changing or being amended over time. But i would like to believe that the major parts are what actually happened.

Some say its a "kids story" then how did we get here? Big bang, evolution ? Are yhese theories kids stories as well? Just because its "greater power" to human life?

There's elements of truth in it. But it's mostly the background. It refers to some historical events and places and occasionally people that did exist or happen. But the major beats of the stories? Nope. It's like saying in 2000 years people look back at historical works that people worshipped, and seeing lots of stories about a man wearing red and blue with magical powers, in a city called New York, where actual events they have evidence of happened, with real people appearing in the stories and evidence of the people who wrote the story down (which is more evidence than the Bible has) and thinking it's real. But it's Spider-man.

The difference is the big bang, evolution... There's evidence. In the case of the Bible, it's only evidence is itself. Similarly to life after death. There no evidence of it beyond stories and people claiming near death experiences, and even the latter can be explained by the effects on the brain and perception as it undergoes trauma. There's nothing else. 

• Like 2

How would one describe the vast number of photos that we have of ghost or spirits caught on camera. Ok I know many will be fraud, and also some may be a trick of the light, but there are some very authentic photos out there which have been validated as original and have no explanation. 

4 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

How would one describe the vast number of photos that we have of ghost or spirits caught on camera. Ok I know many will be fraud, and also some may be a trick of the light, but there are some very authentic photos out there which have been validated as original and have no explanation. 

Post a few dude. Let's have a look .

Pretty much any scientist WOULD LOVE to prove the existence of ghosts.  The existence of spirits would obliterate physics as we know it and they would be a household name  forever . 

Â