Life After Death?

Designer1

So, after some interesting thoughts in the Finsbury Park thread, I thought this subject deserved a place of its own. I know there's a religion thread, but religion doesn't enter into this subject for many people.

So, what are your thoughts on what happens when we shuffle off this mortal coil?

Me? I'm a firm believer that we're a load of lucky apes scrabbling around on a rock and once the body has gone, then that's it. Always thought that 'there is no life after death, only death after life'.

Over to you lot.

• Like 4

Don't know for sure obviously but I believe our spirit lives on in another realm. My firm belief in spirits, ghosts and other entities good and bad also point me towards the belief that there is something else. I've had various experiences and know other people that have too. 

• Like 1

My Nan died, while having an operation, and was revived. After the op, she told my family she remembers floating along a white tube, towards a bright light. She also says she heard my Dad say, "Come back Mom, I need you". My Nan was an absolute legend of a woman, but she was also as mad as a pan of frogs. Personally, I think it was a dream / the result of her medication. Another vote for, once you're gone, you're gone, from me.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

This discussion is never up for debate between either side. You either believe or you don't.  

Not at all mate.

It's one of the subjects I find absolutely fascinating and the number of 'I'm not sure' people I come across is quite large.

• Like 1

Just now, Designer1 said:

Not at all mate.

It's one of the subjects I find absolutely fascinating and the number of 'I'm not sure' people I come across is quite large.

Without boring people I've experienced things which would point to evidence of something else out there. I've been in a room full of people and very weird shit has been going on in the house and we have all witnessed and saw it.

1 minute ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Thing is none of us know.

See, as I've already stated, I firmly believe there is absolutely zero after death. What I find incredibly interesting is the flipside. Those people who believe there is/might be for whatever reason. Could be religion, could be personal experiences, but I find it all intriguing.

36 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

When you are done you are done. So make the most of it while you are here.

Can i ask have you always felt this way? Have you ever believed honestly?

I have a few friends that believed went church and were religious then just one day they just decided they didnt believe anymore. No incident like death or anything like that. Im just wondering how you can go from there to now?

5 minutes ago, Chindie said:

If this extends beyond just 'heaven' I've always found anything 'ghost' fascinating.

I don't believe any of it, but the stories are great.

I wouldn't say they are stories i do think their are real life experiences but unless you experience something we think they are crazy or dreamt it.  I thibk thats all to do with how our mind is programmed. We think logically and dont feel there are things we cant comprehend outside our existance. Whether thata god, angels, or other religious beliefs for afterlife.

Im strong believer of if you are bad in life you go somewhere not so good but if you are good there is a afterlife.

No 'life after death'. We are Homo sapiens - simply animals with a higher level of intelligence. Just as amoebas, ants, haddock, llamas and such don't have a heaven, hell or other such place, neither do we. Sightings, experiences or feelings about so called spirits, entities or ghosts are caused by the human brain being easily deceived, confused and convinced. Deceiving and/or confusing and/or convincing factors can be individual or sometimes combined aspects including tiredness, alcohol, other drugs, poor visibility, preconception, optical illusion, pranks, deliberate deception, peer pressure and some humans need to 'spice up' a story.

The 'other world' falls in to the same category as religion. When it is examined in any depth it is revealed to be bogus and without foundation other than blind faith.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Thing is none of us know.

It is impossible for any individual to empirically know one way or another, because you can't communicate once you're dead. However that doesn't mean you can't consider the plausibility of arguments one way or another. On the evidence available to date I consider it extremely unlikely that there is anything after death. There is a spectrum of arguments to have that just saying it's either yes or no completely misses. 

Other people may acknowledge you cannot know but choose to believe, or be genuinely uncertain. 

I think personally, for one we didn't exist for a happily long time before and will do afterwards. Nothing tells me we've got anything to consider afterwards. 

• Like 1

Â