Life After Death?

Designer1

13 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I never believed. I didn't have a religious upbringing at all, we only went to church for the usual life event things for other people, to the extent I genuinely can count the number of times I've been in a church on the fingers of one hand. But I had the usual primary school upbringing of biblical morality stories and hymns and I knew a lot about the Bible. But I never believed it, and to this day I can consciously recall the moment where I was at primary school and went from not just not believing it to actively knowing it is horseshit.

And then a few years later my nan died and the vicar actively infuriated me with his talk of 'she's in a better place now' crap. Having watched both my parents die since, I dearly wish they were. But they aren't. 

See this is the kind of post i appreciate more gives me a better understanding and trents above for the reason why they feel this way. Totally respect that even if we have dicfering views.

Posts like kid stories dont really add anything to this debate

I sort of apply Pascal's Wager but in the opposite direction.

We have no idea what happens after we die. I personally believe that there is nothing at all after death. But even if there is some form of afterlife, we don't know whether how we behave in this life has anything to do with it, so why spend your life worrying about it?

Live life to the fullest now because it's the only life you can be sure that you'll have.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chindie said:

I've often wondered what the 'best' afterlife would be, if such a thing was possible. I've usually concluded that some form of singularity of consciousness, where you could witness and know everything that ever was or ever would be, would be the most interesting. But sadly, that won't come to pass.

Some have taken DMT (a chemical released in the brain when you die) and experienced a "knowledge of everything." Some report meeting alien like beings who communicate telepathically. 

That documentary is also Netflix for those who want higher quality.

5 hours ago, Chindie said:

I never believed. I didn't have a religious upbringing at all, we only went to church for the usual life event things for other people, to the extent I genuinely can count the number of times I've been in a church on the fingers of one hand. But I had the usual primary school upbringing of biblical morality stories and hymns and I knew a lot about the Bible. But I never believed it, and to this day I can consciously recall the moment where I was at primary school and went from not just not believing it to actively knowing it is horseshit.

And then a few years later my nan died and the vicar actively infuriated me with his talk of 'she's in a better place now' crap. Having watched both my parents die since, I dearly wish they were. But they aren't. 

I don't believe, never have, but I think 'better place' can apply to no longer being in pain, reaching your life's conclusion and your body becoming one with the earth. I don't think that has to mean a physical place called heaven where you can live in peace and joy for eternity, rather peace from the noise of existence.

Whether religious or not I think you can find comfort in the thought of a loved one being in a better place.

I've always thought of religion as a way for people to understand the world and our existence born from times when we knew little by the way of science. The ideas and morals behind religions are to help us to survive our feeble lives with as little pain possible until we pass into nothingness, and the actual existence of a god makes no difference to the truth in the morals of the story.

As always with religion, interpretation is key.

9 hours ago, darrenm said:

First part I agree with. 2nd part please explain how you in particular got into your physical presence. What assigned you? Pure randomness? 

The "You" is a by-product of the brain . When you're born you're a clean slate and the "you" is created by your environment .

You weren't just waiting around for a body to be allotted.  

And in response to all the "Nobody knows what happens when you're dead" comments in here I'll just repeat what I said in the Finsbury Park thread.

YOU DO KNOW what it's like to be dead . You have spent 99.99999999999999999999999% of existence being dead .

Post death and pre birth are exactly the same thing . 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, darrenm said:

None of our understanding gives any insight whatsoever into the mechanisms of the universe of how consciousness is assigned or attributed.

Even a laymans understanding of neuroscience can help you understand how consciousness is "allotted".  (It's not allotted . It's created)

Consciousness is a product of physical processes.   There's nothing magical about it.

Edited by Brumerican

3 hours ago, a m ole said:

I don't believe, never have, but I think 'better place' can apply to no longer being in pain, reaching your life's conclusion and your body becoming one with the earth. I don't think that has to mean a physical place called heaven where you can live in peace and joy for eternity, rather peace from the noise of existence.

Whether religious or not I think you can find comfort in the thought of a loved one being in a better place.

I've always thought of religion as a way for people to understand the world and our existence born from times when we knew little by the way of science. The ideas and morals behind religions are to help us to survive our feeble lives with as little pain possible until we pass into nothingness, and the actual existence of a god makes no difference to the truth in the morals of the story.

As always with religion, interpretation is key.

My issue with the 'better place' thing was that it kinda implied she had had a bad life of suffering. She hadn't. She was very close to her family, she spent time with family that lived far away even, she had had holidays and so on with her sisters... She didn't particularly suffer in death either. She had a short illness and died. But then a vicar who knows nothing comes and tells us she's in a better place. **** off.

There was no comfort in those words. Only anger.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, a m ole said:

I've always thought of religion as a way for people to understand the world and our existence born from times when we knew little by the way of science. 

If anything religion was humanity's first stab at science. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Brumerican said:

Anonymous authors, countless translations and editing , more translations, more editing etc etc.

Of course they are made up .

In your opinion they are made up 

Â