General Election 2017

ender4

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Southampton, the most horrendously dull city in the UK, More culture in a petri dish

True that. There's lots of good culture around Southampton though. That's its only saving grace. Also the football club isn't all that bad. It's funny how people drive half an hour extra to go shopping in Portsmouth rather than doing it locally.

2 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

True that. There's lots of good culture around Southampton though. That's its only saving grace. Also the football club isn't all that bad. It's funny how people drive half an hour extra to go shopping in Portsmouth rather than doing it locally.

Sister in Law lives there, this also downgrades it further

• Like 1

I see that Boris Johnson is still not backing down from the "£350m a week for the NHS" lie, and says it's in the tory manifesto. A cabinet member who either brazenly knowingly lies about the manifesto contents, or has no idea what's actually in it, and just says whatever people want to hear.

Strong and stable leadership.

Edited by Davkaus

3 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

Fair play to him here. I would love to see how Theresa May would react in a similar situation although the media seem scared to try to back her into a corner. Shame really as that strong and stable leader bullshit would soon be shown to be total fabrication.

Again, fair play to sky on this. They originally tweeted the video and said wrt to May:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DK82 said:

It's funny that this is literally the only thing people use on Labour this May. But I guess Tories won't have a brain fart because they don't have sums and costings to remember.

Honestly its not.

So many things wrong with all of them.*

* sometimes its the loss of humour...

If Labour had practically anyone instead of Corbyn I think they would have won this election. may is so dislikeable its unreal. Complete and utter arrogance of the woman to be so blatant with some despicable policies like the dementia tax 

13 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

If Labour had practically anyone instead of Corbyn I think they would have won this election. may is so dislikeable its unreal. Complete and utter arrogance of the woman to be so blatant with some despicable policies like the dementia tax 

Corbyn started with a mountain to climb due to the smear campaign from the right wing press and from within his own party.

Labour have smashed this campaign though, but there's just not enough time to turn it around.  A longer campaign might have seen this in the bag.  I just hope they stick to their ideals and keep pushing this hard afterwards and they can pick up the pieces in 2022 if there's anything left.

8 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

The problem Labour has its collapse north of the border, which means that they have to do brilliantly south of the border. If the UKIP vote collapses in England, you would expect it to go Tory, so its a really hard one. If the Lib Dem vote goes up (which you never if it will), its another spanner in the works (depends I guess who they take).

If only Ed hadn’t been ambitious, you could see David winning this one. 

Just now, Wainy316 said:

Corbyn started with a mountain to climb due to the smear campaign from the right wing press and from within his own party.

Half of the mountain was self created. How ever much the press (right wing) creates trouble, Corbyn can’t wish away his (or John McConnell’s) past. People have memories.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, PauloBarnesi said:

Half of the mountain was self created. How ever much the press (right wing) creates trouble, Corbyn can’t wish away his (or John McConnell’s) past. People have memories.

I have memories, it's why I will never vote Tory.

• Like 3

Keep hearing these campaigns for getting young people to register to vote. Honestly the number of young people I speak to, I'd say the majority wouldn't even know who Jeremy Corbyn was, and it'd be 50:50 on whether they know Teresa May. 

They have absolutely no interest or knowledge of politics or even current affairs. 

They may be some but they are the exception. 

I encouraged a guy at work to register, and he hadn't got a clue about any politics, and actually said that I seemed to know a bit, he'd just vote whoever I did. 

As much as I like the power, I'm trying to get him to make his own decision, by what he feels is right. I happen to think that's important, even if he votes Tory. 

• Like 3

So what affect would Corbyn's spending plans have on ordinary people?

The cost of his increased spending on public services is around £50bn and the cost of his nationalisation plans is unknown but substantial.

As he increased spending the deficit would increase and the cost of government borrowing would rise.

Presently the UK is paying 1.1% on its bonds while other countries like Australia, New Zealand, Portugal and the USA are paying over 2%.

This has increased interest rates paid by borrowers.

UK mortgage rates are around 3.4% (HSBC) , New Zealand rates are 5.79% (HSBC).

We know that UK household borrowing has returned to the same level as it was before 2008 and now stands at £200bn.

Many people are struggling with debt according to the agencies who help them.

Wages are flat despite record levels of employment.

The policy of the present government is to keep interest rates low to help people in debt at the expense of savers and to attempt to keep the little growth there is going.

Mark Carney drops hints that he will put up interest rates but it is understood that it is very unlikely.

Do Corbyn's spending plans come at a cost and if they do, is everyone happy to pay that cost?

6 minutes ago, jon_c said:

Keep hearing these campaigns for getting young people to register to vote. Honestly the number of young people I speak to, I'd say the majority wouldn't even know who Jeremy Corbyn was, and it'd be 50:50 on whether they know Teresa May. 

They have absolutely no interest or knowledge of politics or even current affairs. 

They may be some but they are the exception. 

I encouraged a guy at work to register, and he hadn't got a clue about any politics, and actually said that I seemed to know a bit, he'd just vote whoever I did. 

As much as I like the power, I'm trying to get him to make his own decision, by what he feels is right. I happen to think that's important, even if he votes Tory. 

this is a good point and the same I have in my area. Youngsters don't care. They moan about their life but then say why vote it doesn't make any difference "same shit" 

1 minute ago, meregreen said:

I have memories, it's why I will never vote Tory.

Of course. But if opinion polls are to be believed May or Farron suffer less than Corbyn does on what their past is. 

Politicians shouldn’t be whiter than white, but the nearer you get to the top, the cleaner people want it to be. When Corbyn was a back bencher he could afford to support various causes, when you get to be leader and possibly prime minister it becomes harder and harder.

Note taking one side or the other with this post. But the idea that if you have to put a parent into a care home - it is currently fully funded isn't true in real terms.

If you qualify for fully funded residential care - you local council decides how much you pay (Birmingham this is currently £450-£470 pw) - I Know from my own experience this doesn't get you very much (you don't even get your own room) - in practical terms you take the £450 from the council and then top up to £700-800pw - which is the minimum amount to get something decent.

THATS HOW IT WORKS IN PRACTICE - I KNOW - IVE BEEN THERE.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

So what affect would Corbyn's spending plans have on ordinary people?

The cost of his increased spending on public services is around £50bn and the cost of his nationalisation plans is unknown but substantial.

As he increased spending the deficit would increase and the cost of government borrowing would rise.

Presently the UK is paying 1.1% on its bonds while other countries like Australia, New Zealand, Portugal and the USA are paying over 2%.

This has increased interest rates paid by borrowers.

UK mortgage rates are around 3.4% (HSBC) , New Zealand rates are 5.79% (HSBC).

We know that UK household borrowing has returned to the same level as it was before 2008 and now stands at £200bn.

Many people are struggling with debt according to the agencies who help them.

Wages are flat despite record levels of employment.

The policy of the present government is to keep interest rates low to help people in debt at the expense of savers and to attempt to keep the little growth there is going.

Mark Carney drops hints that he will put up interest rates but it is understood that it is very unlikely.

Do Corbyn's spending plans come at a cost and if they do, is everyone happy to pay that cost?

Lets level the playing field first.

When some people are struggling to clothe and feed their  family - others are spending £70,000 on a 4x4 car they obviously don't need. Tackle that and the funding will fall into place - even if means you average joe pays and extra £10 tax per month. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Dunno - bashing the tories will only get you so far. You going to need middle class voters to vote labour to win an election. 

27 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Do they come 'at a cost' and what cost are you saying they come at? There appears to be a lot of 'hinting' in your post.

Edit:

Sorry, I did miss the line: As he increased spending the deficit would increase and the cost of government borrowing would rise.

That is making a lot of assumptions, e.g. about how the economy performs, about how other economies perform, whether or not the tax increases proposed would fail to match up to the increased spending, that bond costs and yields have much relation to government spending/'the deficit', &c.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

Â