General Election 2017

ender4

17 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Is it?

Estimates for the cost of nationalising the energy sector according The Guardian go as high as £185bn.

But as it is certain that someone will inevitably dispute that number, I think 'unknown' is appropriate.

• Like 1

I'n not surprised that young people have no enthusiasm to vote.

Most people live in safe seats so their vote doesn't matter.

We need voting reform to engage more people. Not just those living in marginal seats.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Estimates for the cost of nationalising the energy sector according The Guardian go as high as £185bn.

But as it is certain that someone will inevitably dispute that number, I think 'unknown' is appropriate.

Is that a 'cost'? Or is that a potential price (according to a group of city stockbrokers)?

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Xann said:

Whoever made that video is a disgrace and a perfect reason why people should vote Conservative...but at least I'll give them some credit for using the word Conservative rather than Tory.
10 years on from Brown/Blair and they're still pushing anti-campaigning rather than campaigning on their own policies....because they have none (unless you love a good promise). Another perfect reason why Labour are the nasty party.

It's such a shame that the Labour party act this way but it's to be expected now. These last few weeks have felt like the referendum all over again where truth has been obscured and facts appropriated for messaging. 

Best post of the year for me because I was still a swinging voter with Labour on the radar; but **** that. I can't consider a party who campaigns on others failures without appreciating their own. The Peoples Assembly are another bloody mouthpiece who care more about ousting the Conservatives and supporting the Labour agenda than policy.

Edit -

To clarify - I'm not actually saying people should vote conservative but when it comes down to 'Don't vote Conservative', it's a really sad state of affairs.
The is meant to be an anti-austerity movement who mention policy like PFI, but who haven't considered what that means in terms of Labours failures,
It's anti conservative rather than pro-policy.  It's brexit all over again....things can only get better....

Edited by itdoesntmatterwhatthissay

10 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I'n not surprised that young people have no enthusiasm to vote.

Most people live in safe seats so their vote doesn't matter.

We need voting reform to engage more people. Not just those living in marginal seats.

Hell yes. It means awful Conservatives who feel they have a right to a seat and terrible Labour MP's being produced through the system can do one and we might - hahahaha, yeah right - go through a period where policy is discussed and not simply campaign slogans.

But then young people would be even less inclined to vote; they don't appear to really care about how something will work, just whether it sounds good in theory.

That NHS video clearly has someone say 'vote anybody but not the Conservatives'.

I'm unsure the Labour Party would be that happy to push every other party except the Tories.

That reaction is bizarre.

The line any anti-campaigning, given it's written by a lobbyist, is telling IMO.

Edited by Chindie
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, Chindie said:

That NHS video clearly has someone say 'vote anybody but not the Conservatives'.

I'm unsure the Labour Party would be that happy to push every other party except the Tories.

That reaction is bizarre.

almost bizarre of a recent social media conversation I had with a random poster who invaded an exchange with a family member, which basically consisted of a barage of right wing fascist rhetoric,  however the person worked themselves up into such a frothing wreck as proof they weren't actually ading let alone understanding anything i said they ended up posting that we should declare war on the USA, Isreal and Saudi Arabia

3 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

Erm, OK.

"Anti-campaigning" is a tactic used by every party.  You must have heard the phrases,"coalition of chaos", "terrorist symperthiser", etc, right? Would you describe these as promoting the Conservatives, or attacking Labour?

As for the video, it's made by The People's Assembly, who are essentially an anti-austerity movement. They oppose austerity, which is what the Tories have imposed on us. If you google them, you will see straight away, they are no aligned to any political party. It's the second point on the first page of their website. So they have nothing to do with Labour. Also when you watch the video, it's actual NHS staff that are in it. Does it not tell you how bad things are, when the people who know the NHS best, are telling people not to vote Conservative?   

You seem to think the post wasn't just a piece of farce and posted seriously, interesting but worrying alternative

Edited by mockingbird_franklin

1 minute ago, mockingbird_franklin said:

You seem to think the post wasn't just a piece of farce and posted seriously, interesting but worrying alternative

I read it as hardcore projection. Everything he accused Labour of doing in that post, the Tories are doing on steroids.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I read it as hardcore projection. Everything he accused Labour of doing in that post, the Tories are doing on steroids.

projection is a common Tory trait, The phrase lazy feckless scoungers comes to mind for some reason

I found it too ridiculous and inaccurate a rant to be taken seriously

2 minutes ago, mockingbird_franklin said:

I don't know what's real, and what's not anymore. If it was satire, it went over my head. Although if it is, I am a little relived.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DK82 said:

Here is a 'memory' for you to use in future.

My point is that Corbyn has done things that some people won’t forgive; just like the Tories. 

As many people won’t counterance the Tories; people who would counternance Labour, will refuse because of things like the Sinn Féin/IRA connection or the whole anti-semitism issue with Livingstone, etc

These aren’t things the press invented; they are merely playing the stories to their congreation.

Lots of people feel that what Corbyn did to support SF was part of the peace process and people should move on. Others won’t; they feel he was far too sympathetic. 

Corbyn will win support from some; others will never vote for him. Not because he doesn’t have some decent policies, but because of some of his other policies.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

I don't know what's real, and what's not anymore. If it was satire, it went over my head. Although if it is, I am a little relived.  

I don't think it's possibly to truly understand the reasoning behind the post, comedy genius is as good an explanation as any, suggesting some sort of stress related mental meltdown though plausible would be considered poster on poster so It's best not to go there 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Xann said:

Oh really? <_<

Yup. My voting record is very mixed; in local and general elections.

33 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

Erm, OK.

"Anti-campaigning" is a tactic used by every party.  You must have heard the phrases,"coalition of chaos", "terrorist symperthiser", etc, right? Would you describe these as promoting the Conservatives, or attacking Labour?

As for the video, it's made by The People's Assembly, who are essentially an anti-austerity movement. They oppose austerity, which is what the Tories have imposed on us. If you google them, you will see straight away, they are no aligned to any political party. It's the second point on the first page of their website. So they have nothing to do with Labour. Also when you watch the video, it's actual NHS staff that are in it. Does it not tell you how bad things are, when the people who know the NHS best, are telling people not to vote Conservative?   

Yes it is but since 1997 it's been used so heavily. I'll criticise any party for doing it but I grew up watching Labour do it best and they learnt nothing from the EU ref.

You're right they are, so when they criticise PFI why don't they focus on Labour? - who while didn't introduce it - did make it so easy and ready to facilitate. Plus the reliance on agency staff IS a Labour policy so they can't talk about effing talk about waste unless they mention Labour!
They are not aligned to any political party is as naive as saying bankers don't support the Conservatives. You know they're aligned, you know the partisan approach is pro-Labour and you know it's not as simple as 'vote against them to get this'. You can't be a-political and say don't vote for these, not in a 2 party system...otherwise they'd say, 'don't vote for management breaking Labour either!'

Â