Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

The coverage is becoming too much , for me we either go in and help or shut the **** up. 

I'm against war but Putin has overstepped the mark , we should form an alliance and go in on the ground , if he attacks from the air then we reciplocate with air attacks. 

We either fight for humanity or let this scum 'leader' show the world that evil wins. 

• Like 1

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

I'd like to know what the rules are here - we can send weapons, fighter planes and ex soldiers, but if we put an official boot on the ground in Ukraine it's WW3? All it takes is Putin to move the goal posts on that understanding and this thing kicks off mahoosively. Are we to assume Putin is sticking to 'some' rules?

I have just found myself blocked from following @mod_russia on Twitter.  

Would someone mind popping to my house and opening the front door for me.  You might want to have a look at the church spire whilst you're here.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

3500+ Russians arrested for protesting. What will they do when the gulags are full? 

Historically, they just get the new prisoners to build a new gulag. Lots of space in Russia.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

This is an utterly bizarre opinion

I stand to be corrected but I think that he means, is do something about it, or stop tormenting us with propaganda designed to provoke us, with no hope of finding resolution.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Are we to assume Putin is sticking to 'some' rules?

In my opinion.......

The Russian Armed forces are being portrayed as inept by the Western Media.  I don't think this is the case.  I think their initial plan was based upon a misapprehension that the local population would welcome them or (at least) accept then.  Therefore they initially tried to do as little collateral damage as possible.  Now they have realised the true position they have changed to their tried and trusted tactics.  Surround, bombard and demoralise.  I have no doubt that the Russian armed forces will take Ukraine. 

But I sincerely doubt it will be a tenable occupation.  Supply lines are notoriously vulnerable to "resistance" attacks.  Even Russian Transport planes and helicopters can expect to be shot down by Western supplied arms. 

Edited by Mandy Lifeboats
Speeling mishsteaks
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

or stop tormenting us with propaganda designed to provoke us

Real-life footage of poor innocent civilians losing their lives is not propaganda.  Neither is the footage of e.g. the Sky News team just about getting away with their lives.  Propaganda would be the Russians claiming that Ukraine is a Nazist state. 

5 minutes ago, choffer said:

I know Twitter is full of hot takes but this is an interesting thread. As much for the responses as the original contentions.  

Sanctions just punish the ordinary populace (see WW1 blockade on Germany 400k+ dead), which often amounts to starvation.

If Russia was a democracy and there was a chance Putin could be voted out, sanctions might be considered a reasonable solution, but the only people waiting in the wings, are more hardline than Putin.

Russian gymnast turned up on the podium at a gymnastics event in Doha yesterday with a makeshift " Z"  on his shirt  ... the Ukrainian who won the Gold blanked him on the handshake front , should have knocked him out though 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I'd like to know what the rules are here - we can send weapons, fighter planes and ex soldiers, but if we put an official boot on the ground in Ukraine it's WW3? All it takes is Putin to move the goal posts on that understanding and this thing kicks off mahoosively. Are we to assume Putin is sticking to 'some' rules?

one of putins team touched on it being akin to an act of war without declaring it as being at war with them, said something along the lines of london being the main offender

but in theory yes, we havent declared war but we are sending stuff over - if putin sees that as an act of war and declares it as such, or was to attack one of our deliveries then it could be different (or like a luistania incident) but the yanks did it for 2 years before entering WW2, not sure when we started sending tanks and supplies to russia in WW2 and if that was before they entered the war

• Like 1

I saw a couple of publications take this excerpt, and turn it into a totally different headline. They turned it into " Dzyuba faces outrage after expressing unrelenting support for Russia " or something like that.

Which was followed by inevitable ignorant comments from people who obviously never even read the article. I proper hate new media.

Russia football captainArtem Dzyuba has spoken out.

🗣 “I am against any war. War is a frightful thing. But I am also against human aggression and hatred, which is gaining some sort of devastating scale every day.

“I am not afraid that I am Russian. I'm proud to be Russian. And I don't understand why athletes have to suffer now. I am against double standards.

“Why has everyone shouted about sports staying outside of politics but, at the first opportunity, when it comes to Russia, this principle is completely forgotten?”

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

As previously mentioned we've had to cease communication with our Russian customer at work.

One of the senior contracts/legal guys contacted them (with permission) to notify them that we were using Force Majeur to push out/cancel demand

Their response was a physical threat to cause bodily harm to him personally!

They've had to set up an anonymous email account so that we can carry on communication without revealing personal details

Mental

• Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

15 hours ago, LondonLax said:

That’s actually where I live. My train line in Stockholm’s northern suburbs is called Roslagsbanan 😅

Täby? my rents used to live in Täby Kyrkby for almost 10 years so I've been there a ton of times.

• Like 1

Â