Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

3 hours ago, Risso said:

Is it balls. Cyrpus and Malta have far more Russian cash, as do the Baltic countries. There's a fair bit of Russian ownership of property in the posh bits of London of course but that's a drop in the ocean of their actual wealth, most of which is held elsewhere.

Absolutely spot on Cyprus. The amount of dirty russian money there is unbelievable. But without that cyprus would be stuffed

Edited by Demitri_C

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

20 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Russian sports teams and athletes should be banned from all international events immediately.

Perhaps it’s trivial shit like that which may turn the average Russian against Putin.

No, but 10,000 - 20,000 dead Russian soldiers would, especially if the Ukrainians can play the long game and run an effective insurgency. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Risso said:

You said that the UK is the centre of Russian money-laundering. You were incorrect. Read the third paragraph in the Twitter link you provided. You'll notice it doesn't mention UK banks. Russians may like spending their money in London, but as I said previously, this is the tiniest tip of the iceberg. Stopping them spending their money would hurt them because they enjoy doing it. That doesn't mean that the vast, vast majority of it is not going through the banking system elsewhere. Malta is essentially in special measures because its financial services sector is not fit for purpose and anybody can buy citizenship and therefore an EU passport with a few hundred thousand pounds. Cyprus isn't much better.

AYe, and Switzerland is where most of Putin's stolen loot is kept, well there and places like Panama.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Awol said:

FWIW I hope he goes all in immediately. Break open all the shell companies, find the UBOs, seize assets, property where it’s connected to Putin. It’s a great opportunity to cut the cancer out without special interests getting in the way, and get some payback for Gareth Williams in 2010.

Isn't the difficulty in this that in order to put in place a legal framework to do it and to empower those that enforce those laws, he'd have open up the whole of the financial market to scrutiny? 

If we go looking for the dirty Russian money, we're likely to find some chancer who thinks they can do the same for the rest of it. 

At least it's not London's biggest landowner, Qatar that are causing trouble - that would be a whole lot more awkward.

Do we know much about the three Russian individuals that were sanctioned?

I'm interested in why they were selected, what their specific interests are.

Finding the right way to sanction will be the key I think to putting the Russians back in place.

26 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Finding the right way to sanction will be the key I think to putting the Russians back in place.

I would suspect it’ll be the full range of billionaires that have neglected their donations to western political parties.

19 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Russian sports teams and athletes should be banned from all international events immediately.

Perhaps it’s trivial shit like that which may turn the average Russian against Putin.

It’s also not just “the west” that is imposing sanctions. If sporting governing bodies and others kick them out it’ll reinforce the message Putin is being a dick and everyone agrees.

24 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Isn't the difficulty in this that in order to put in place a legal framework to do it and to empower those that enforce those laws, he'd have open up the whole of the financial market to scrutiny? 

I don't know, you'd need ask someone with experience of shady money - @Risso perhaps? :) 

What I would note is how weak these initial sanctions have been, from UK and EU. Biden is supposed to be announcing the US response shortly, will be interesting to see if he goes further.  

Putin has advanced from his position that Ukraine has no right to exist, and now states that Ukraine must declare itself neutral and disarm entirely (otherwise known as unilateral and unconditional surrender). He didn't mention the word Anschluss, but it seemed to be where he was going.  He's also very cross with those countries that have given weapons to Ukraine to defend itself from his unprovoked aggression - naturally. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

According to Sky, one of them owns a professional ice hockey team in Russia and they hired their son to be the team manager / coach despite his son not ever having played or coached professionally.

Sounds about right.

10 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

According to Sky, one of them owns a professional ice hockey team in Russia and they hired their son to be the team manager / coach despite his son not ever having played or coached professionally.

I suspect you may enjoy the story of the Danbury Trashers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Awol said:

What I would note is how weak these initial sanctions have been, from UK and EU. Biden is supposed to be announcing the US response shortly, will be interesting to see if he goes further.  

Short answer, no, not really.

Pretty underwhelming all round. 

Â