Transfer Speculation Summer 2017

Villan4Life

9 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

The thing to establish is whether he would even want to come here and under what circumstances e.g. wages he would want, what role etc.

I wouldn't mind if the wages were reasonable and he wanted to stay with the club and be involved in coaching - we don't even know what his skills are in that sense though and what he would bring. Has he completed his "badges", does he have any reputation in that sense? I wouldn't be against it but I don't think it's realistic and not sure why he would want to come here. The truth is, he is at a much better club (at least for now) with better prospects and they would probably offer him a role if he showed some potential in that sense. I just don't know what the draw would be for him to come here, from his perspective. Maybe our thoughts on him are based on nostalgia and not really thinking of the effect and whether it would really be worthwhile. I don't think we should be taking too many risks tbh and I suppose would I kind of view it like that - I don't think it's going to happen anyway.

As an outright player, he wouldn't contribute for long enough imo. We already have Jedinak as an overage player who won't last long. If we sign old players for a season or two, just as a kind of "stop gap", it probably prevents or stops other, younger, fitter and maybe more talented players with more potential and more to contribute in the long term. I'd rather us look at better signings as I outlined earlier, let's build a team that move forwards together and become a bit of a unit.

Personally, I would like us to discard most, if not all, of the players that have been associated with our past and especially those that have been involved in our decline. Players like Gabby, Hutton, Bacuna and more should be moved on. January wasn't a bad window and I was hoping that we were beginning to build a "new" side which I think is exactly what we need. The only one of these players (other than youngsters, inc Grealish, who would benefit from better players and role models) that I think we should retain, and who deserves it, is Baker.

I get what you are saying in respect to building a team that can grow, but as for signing better players who could we sign that is better than Barry? Is there anyone in our squad that you would say is anywhere near as good as him? Players like lyden could learn a lot from him and become big players for us in the future. He is a player that would benefit the the whole club, he may only be a short term signing but we should be looking to improve the starting 11 in every window in my opinion, especially if we are to get back to the PL. I think we have a good base to build on and personally think that Barry would be a player that would take us to the next level. If we were to sign him, a quality winger, gk and cb plus look at a loan or 2 then I think we would be good enough to challenge for automatic promotion.

6 minutes ago, Villa Stu said:

I get what you are saying in respect to building a team that can grow, but as for signing better players who could we sign that is better than Barry? Is there anyone in our squad that you would say is anywhere near as good as him? Players like lyden could learn a lot from him and become big players for us in the future. He is a player that would benefit the the whole club, he may only be a short term signing but we should be looking to improve the starting 11 in every window in my opinion, especially if we are to get back to the PL. I think we have a good base to build on and personally think that Barry would be a player that would take us to the next level. If we were to sign him, a quality winger, gk and cb plus look at a loan or 2 then I think we would be good enough to challenge for automatic promotion.

I wouldn't be against it mate, it's just my opinion that we should be looking elsewhere and have a different transfer strategy. Ultimately, the club will act as it wants and we will just have to judge whether they are doing the right things or not.

I'm sure there are better options than Barry out there but it all depends on whether they would want to come here and how good our scouting is. I'd personally prefer a younger, more exciting/skilful midfielder who can stick with us and develop into a key member of the side for years to come.

Again, I don't think the Barry signing is going to happen and it just seems like speculation from fans so it doesn't really matter much what our thoughts are on that. 

In in our current squad, no I don't think we've got anyone better than him in that position but we could sign someone who may well be.

Barry is older than Jedinak (and we haven't been able to rely on him for the most of the season) and I wouldn't be comfortable with both of them, two aging MFs, in the side. We only need 1 DM in the starting 11 imo so what would happen to Jedinak?

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

Some suggestions that I thought of on the way home either on loan or a cheeky offer:

G/K:  Vorm, Pantilimon and obviously Johnstone. 

DEF:  Morgan or Huth (rumours that Leicester are looking to upgrade both according to Talkshite). Delaney at Palace or could we be so bold and enquire about Shawcross at Stoke? 

MID:  Charlie Adam, David Meyler, Barry (could we?).  Loftus-Cheek or Chalobah on loan.  Tried to think of a creative/skilful winger, but struggled.  Mind went back to Ashley Young.  There is that Sinclair bloke at Celtic that could be worth a look. 

FOR: Isaac Success or Tammy Abraham on loan?  Frazier Campbell (not sure on this one and forgot all about him until someone mentioned him today).   Dream would be Assombalonga though.  

I

18 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Some suggestions that I thought of on the way home either on loan or a cheeky offer:

G/K:  Vorm, Pantilimon and obviously Johnstone. 

DEF:  Morgan or Huth (rumours that Leicester are looking to upgrade both according to Talkshite). Delaney at Palace or could we be so bold and enquire about Shawcross at Stoke? 

MID:  Charlie Adam, David Meyler, Barry (could we?).  Loftus-Cheek or Chalobah on loan.  Tried to think of a creative/skilful winger, but struggled.  Mind went back to Ashley Young.  There is that Sinclair bloke at Celtic that could be worth a look. 

FOR: Isaac Success or Tammy Abraham on loan?  Frazier Campbell (not sure on this one and forgot all about him until someone mentioned him today).   Dream would be Assombalonga though.  

I think Abraham would be a better fit than Assombalonga, Abraham is quite a bit younger too, I don't know if Abraham would come here, you obviously don't agree 

Just now, sir_gary_cahill said:

I

I think Abraham would be a better fit than Assombalonga, Abraham is quite a bit younger too, I don't know if Abraham would come here, you obviously don't agree 

I have really liked the look of Abraham this season and think he would be fantastic, but with the season he's just had I wonder if the Premiership now beckons for him?  Obviously not a  Chelsea first teamer, but with an Albion, Watford, West Ham type club?  He would be great signing on loan though, if gettable? 

14 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

I have really liked the look of Abraham this season and think he would be fantastic, but with the season he's just had I wonder if the Premiership now beckons for him?  Obviously not a  Chelsea first teamer, but with an Albion, Watford, West Ham type club?  He would be great signing on loan though, if gettable? 

I agree with all apart from I think he is good enough for Chelsea, they're not exactly rich with strikers, he looks to be good enough for them in my opinion. Sadly, I don't think we would get a look in, I would be ecstatic if we did though 

1 hour ago, sne said:

So apparently Sunderland has hired Rob Mackenzie, who worked as Leicesters former head of technical scouting for 4 years and found among others Mahrez and helped assembled the title winning squad.

He then worked a similar role at Spurs last season and this season at Derby.

They've also snagged some guy from Man City called Simon Wilson and they will be handling recruitment in the summer as Moyes want's an completely new side next season.

Know very little about these guys, but I wonder if we are as pro-active or if we are confident of having all the competence we need in house?

Seems ok for Moyes,to want a new team........... but down here its all Bruce's fault( in some quarters)....Interesting

Just now, TRO said:

Seems ok for Moyes,to want a new team........... but down here its all Bruce's fault( in some quarters)....Interesting

?

41 minutes ago, TRO said:

Huh? Bruce has already had half a team.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Villa Stu said:

Barry would be a terrific signing in my opinion !

3 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

Yeah he will go on loan to a PL club next season. He won't be their player so they won't have any desire to develop him or let him learn his trade and make mistakes. So he won't be trusted to be a starter. This will happen for about 4 years at various clubs, amounting to about 20 starts being made and at 24, missing out a huge chunk of education, he will be released to the arse end of nowhere and will see out a sub par career. Sunderland probably.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, sne said:

So apparently Sunderland has hired Rob Mackenzie, who worked as Leicesters former head of technical scouting for 4 years and found among others Mahrez and helped assembled the title winning squad.

They've also snagged some guy from Man City called Simon Wilson and they will be handling recruitment in the summer as Moyes want's an completely new side next season.

Know very little about these guys, but I wonder if we are as pro-active or if we are confident of having all the competence we need in house?

sounds like us 10 months ago...   a fiver that it has a similar ending to ours in 12 months time

• Like 1

What's the fascination with signing old players past their prime ? Barry I'd take but we couldn't have him and Jedinak in the same squad let alone team. 

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Skills said:

If your not mates with Round you don't get a job don't you know ;) . 

6 minutes ago, thabucks said:

What's the fascination with signing old players past their prime ? Barry I'd take but we couldn't have him and Jedinak in the same squad let alone team. 

Why? I can understand not putting them in the same team but why can't we have both in the squad?

For what it's worth I'm not massively keen on signing Barry. He's decent but there must be better out there for the wages that he'd probably cost.