17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

11 hours ago, Michael118 said:

I was certain I read an article earlier in the season which claimed Bruce had not beaten Pulis up until they met each other in Pulis' first match in charge of Middlesbrough earlier this season. The same stat was posted by DaveAV1 a few pages back.

The scorelines are all correct but I got those 3 results the wrong way around. I did it in a rush to be honest. I have an injured arm which I really shouldn't be using.

This article?

In terms of the managers, Pulis has never lost a home league match against Bruce, recording five clean sheets in those six matches.

The records also tell us that Bruce has managed nine league matches at the Riverside without a single win.

https://www.myoldmansaid.com/didnt-enough-brentford-admits-bruce-pulis-gets-set-boro-debut/

17 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Over the course of the season it should be either us or Fulham. However the league has now been condensed into basically a cup run so it's all up in the air. If we can get through the first game at Boro in good shape I fancy us to beat anyone. Next Saturday is the game I am most worried about tbh.

I am more than optimistic we will overcome Boro - Fulham in the final much less so - although we can cling on to the hope that they could possibly be feeling demoralised at missing out on automatic promotion and getting a tonking ?

13 hours ago, Dick said:

Yet Bruce the promotion expert is rammed down our throats, even though that was different teams and years. It's almost like only positive facts about Bruce are allowed. 

Fine, if you think manager vs manager stats spread over 10 years and nearly as many teams, in 2 different divisions, have any predictive power for what happens over the next two Saturdays, no-one is stopping you.

You should note though that the table of results was wrong and errors have subsequently been corrected. :)

18 minutes ago, Dave J said:

I am more than optimistic we will overcome Boro - Fulham in the final much less so - although we can cling on to the hope that they could possibly be feeling demoralised at missing out on automatic promotion and getting a tonking ?

Fulham didn't have it all their own way against Derby this season.  They could only draw in Craven Cottage and while Fulham did win the return fixture, that was slap bang in the middle of Derby County's horrible run that almost cost them their playoff place (no wins in 7 and Flum were game 5).

2 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

This article?

In terms of the managers, Pulis has never lost a home league match against Bruce, recording five clean sheets in those six matches.

The records also tell us that Bruce has managed nine league matches at the Riverside without a single win.

https://www.myoldmansaid.com/didnt-enough-brentford-admits-bruce-pulis-gets-set-boro-debut/

Apols in advance if I'm missing something but did the 1-0 defeat we inflicted on them, at home, this season, not count?!

• Like 1

I came to this thread to see if everyone else was pumped for the match Saturday. 

My mistake.

Instead we are discussing how Pulis has already won the match against Bruce.

Except it's Villa v Boro. 

Edited by Villan_of_oz

14 hours ago, Michael118 said:

I was certain I read an article earlier in the season which claimed Bruce had not beaten Pulis up until they met each other in Pulis' first match in charge of Middlesbrough earlier this season. The same stat was posted by DaveAV1 a few pages back.

The scorelines are all correct but I got those 3 results the wrong way around. I did it in a rush to be honest. I have an injured arm which I really shouldn't be using.

:crylaugh:

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I agree. When we don't score first we struggle and struggle badly.

My concern with boro is the pace they have. We are not known for our pace in this team.

I haven’t watched them under Pulis, but outside of Traore, who is that fast?

We’ve coped against  a lot of quick players this season.

6 hours ago, KSV said:

Huge game. Cant wait. Be nice to see us turn up in the big matches and not bottle it. 

Boro will be tough over two legs. Traore Downing Gestede will all be extra pumped for this one. 

Downing shouldn’t, if anything he Treated us poorly. Plus he got a big move to Liverpool. Gestede and Traore both got the chance to extend their PL careers. Let’s not forget we have our top scorer Adomah seriously wanting to prove to them they were wrong about him.

41 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Apols in advance if I'm missing something but did the 1-0 defeat we inflicted on them, at home, this season, not count?!

that article was written a day or two before that game as part of the build-up / preview to it

20 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Hate to quote Trump but that's fake news, bizzarely turning pretty much every result into Pulis beating SB.

In 06/07 Birmingham beat Stoke 1-0 at home.

In 10/11 Sunderland beat Stoke 2-0 at home.

In 11/12 Sunderland beat Stoke 4-0 at home.

Wierd one for sure.

Edit: Was going to say not sure what sort of agenda the poster has against SB but then I noticed who the actual poster is....:lol:

That does make things a little nicer reading then!

As for the relevance, it's a guide to how each of them has used the tools at his disposal against the other over the years. Managers quite often have their own philosophy/method, which whilst it might get modified doesn't tend to change much over time in most cases. 

8 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

that article was written a day or two before that game as part of the build-up / preview to it

So back to my point about the poor predictive power of historical manager vs manager stats then.

10 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

So back to my point about the poor predictive power of historical manager vs manager stats then.

yep wigan against stoke 10 years ago doesn't really have much impact on this. If we had played them 4/5 times in this division over the past couple of years with pulis & Bruce both at the helm without winning you could perhaps take more notice of it as one seemingly having the better of the other but as things stand with their current teams the only stat is P1 W1 in our favour

• Like 1

21 hours ago, VillaChris said:

One thing about these play offs for me is usually you get an out of nowhere team make them.

Last season you arguably had two, Reading and especially Huddersifield. Previous years a relegation favourite like Blackpool got into them and won them. This year it would've been any one of Preston, Millwall, Brentford or Bristol City but they all fell just short.

This year has largely gone to form. Play offs were minimum target for us and Boro, arguably Fulham aswell and Derby have been in them plenty of times in last 5 years.

I'd say the quality of the four teams is probably the highest it's been for many years. Doubt that's good news for us but means there will hopefully be no complaceny from us we might've seen if we did play a PNE at any stage.

We certainly will have to earn going up now.

We always did have to earn it.

and if we play like we know we can.....We will.

36 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

I haven’t watched them under Pulis, but outside of Traore, who is that fast?

We’ve coped against  a lot of quick players this season.

Downing shouldn’t, if anything he Treated us poorly. Plus he got a big move to Liverpool. Gestede and Traore both got the chance to extend their PL careers. Let’s not forget we have our top scorer Adomah seriously wanting to prove to them they were wrong about him.

Bamford is quite composed, could be a danger.

but so are we.